Sponsored by:

Manual trans cars available

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 09:36 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Locker definitely isn’t needed and in many cases would just get me into more trouble. However I’ve had quite a bit of off road experience and I have yet to witness an electronic “traction control” that was worth more turned on than it was turned off. They usually range from annoying to downright dangerous.
This is another take that makes it seem like you haven't driven anything other than domestic garbagemobiles from the 80s and 90s, maybe early 2000s.

Your "automatics are bad" take is absolutely accurate for those eras. I thought so too. I even thought manual was superior for off roading then - probably was, maybe...only reliability wise. But non garbage autos and learning technique tells me that's not the case. (Yes, this was a "it's not you it's me" problem!)

Same for towing - back then you'd just break autos so you absolutely wanted a manual. These days nobody will sell you a new manual pickup without downrating the motor because of warranty claims from people who can't drive manual properly. And the autos don't break (until you start feeding them more power without upgrading the gearbox).

Are you sure this is the right vehicle for what you're trying to accomplish? Seems like you are more interested in something from the late 90s maybe a Jeep or GMT400/800 platform? Or Land Rover if you've got bucks to spend?

What particularly do you think this 955/957 platform with nearly unobtanium options does for you that those things can't?

Last edited by DarylJ; 05-26-2023 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jbrowning22 (05-31-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 11:21 PM
Chewbacca
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
This is another take that makes it seem like you haven't driven anything other than domestic garbagemobiles from the 80s and 90s, maybe early 2000s.

Your "automatics are bad" take is absolutely accurate for those eras. I thought so too. I even thought manual was superior for off roading then - probably was, maybe...only reliability wise. But non garbage autos and learning technique tells me that's not the case. (Yes, this was a "it's not you it's me" problem!)

Same for towing - back then you'd just break autos so you absolutely wanted a manual. These days nobody will sell you a new manual pickup without downrating the motor because of warranty claims from people who can't drive manual properly. And the autos don't break (until you start feeding them more power without upgrading the gearbox).

Are you sure this is the right vehicle for what you're trying to accomplish? Seems like you are more interested in something from the late 90s maybe a Jeep or GMT400/800 platform? Or Land Rover if you've got bucks to spend?

What particularly do you think this 955/957 platform with nearly unobtanium options does for you that those things can't?
with all due respect I never said “automatics were bad” so don’t quote me on that. I said they make me crazy. I like control over the vehicle. I recognize it’s not a concern for most people but for me it is. That’s all. Nothing more nothing less. I can rock a manual out of a mud hole, I can engine brake down hills. Anyway the list of modern utes with manual is almost zero (in the USA) so options are limited. That, coupled with the huge towing capacity of the cayenne got me interested. As far as “garbage mobiles” go, you sound like an elitist who doesn’t know crap about cars or how they work. I actually turn wrenches and know how to drive and I’ve driven a pretty wide variety of machines so, sorry, you’re wrong.
i don’t want a Jeep thanks. The 90s were great for cars though. So was every other decade if you know where to look.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 05-26-2023 at 11:23 PM.
19psi (06-01-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 10:14 AM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As far as “garbage mobiles” go, you sound like an elitist who doesn’t know crap about cars or how they work. I actually turn wrenches and know how to drive and I’ve driven a pretty wide variety of machines so, sorry, you’re wrong.
i don’t want a Jeep thanks. The 90s were great for cars though. So was every other decade if you know where to look.
You sound like someone who makes ad homonym attacks and wild assumptions about people who are trying to help you when they say things you don't want to hear. Nice job, hope that life plan gives you enough control to not be "crazy".

Gotta love some of the new people in each of these forums as models hit the bottom of their value curve. It's always the same theme, and they'll never expressly admit it to themselves or others but calling people an elitist for owning a 20 year old vehicle that's barely worth 5 figures on a good day and being honest about its capabilities and issues is pretty telling.
jbrowning22 (05-31-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 11:12 AM
Chewbacca
AutoX

Originally Posted by DarylJ
You sound like someone who makes ad homonym attacks and wild assumptions about people who are trying to help you when they say things you don't want to hear. Nice job, hope that life plan gives you enough control to not be "crazy".

Gotta love some of the new people in each of these forums as models hit the bottom of their value curve. It's always the same theme, and they'll never expressly admit it to themselves or others but calling people an elitist for owning a 20 year old vehicle that's barely worth 5 figures on a good day and being honest about its capabilities and issues is pretty telling.
Dude what’s your problem? I don’t think I’m being dishonest about their capabilities or limitations. Just looking for a Ute that can fill a need for me and asking questions. It’s about preference. I was unaware how rare these options are, because apparently the cashed up folks who bought them new didn’t have the brains to check those boxes, not surprising, it is a “Porsche truck” after all. You’re the one who started with the assumptions about my history. Read the tone of your post buddy, then let’s talk about “value curve” whatever that is lol.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:51 PM
jbrowning22
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please stop saying “Ute”.

I agree with the other poster. This isn’t the vehicle for you. If you’re inexperienced enough to where an automatic transmission “makes you crazy”, you simply don’t have the temperament for what it takes to deal with the never ending problem cycle of owning one of these.

It would be like my 8 year old stepson with ADHD telling me he’s going to set the engine timing on my GTS.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:43 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

v
Ute
Originally Posted by jbrowning22
Please stop saying “Ute”
I was digging it

Perhaps our cousin is from Vanuatu, or somewhere else near
Old 05-31-2023, 07:47 PM
Chewbacca
AutoX

Originally Posted by jbrowning22
Please stop saying “Ute”.

I agree with the other poster. This isn’t the vehicle for you. If you’re inexperienced enough to where an automatic transmission “makes you crazy”, you simply don’t have the temperament for what it takes to deal with the never ending problem cycle of owning one of these.

It would be like my 8 year old stepson with ADHD telling me he’s going to set the engine timing on my GTS.
“inexperienced” lol. Have fun with your egomobile bro. Don’t forget your 22’s and “driver aids”. I guess the old adage about porcupines and Porsches is true, sadly. At least you got the quotes right.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 06-02-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:21 PM
jbrowning22
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

“inexperienced” lol. Have fun with your egomobiles bros. Don’t forget your 22’s and “driver aids”. I guess the old adage about porcupines and Porsches is true, sadly.

It’s 21’s, get it right bruh.
Chewbacca (06-02-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:42 AM
Pinarcr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OP- I read somewhere that only 2-3% of all 955/957/958s were MT; with so *relatively* few made, it only makes sense that there would only be a handful for sale at any given time. Right now on AT there are 3 MT GTS' and 2 MT 958s... understandably, they're listed considerably above KBB but that's the current market. I totally understand your point of not wanting the automatic- I don't do any overlanding, but just prefer rowing my own. I came from a MT BMW X5, jumped to the MT 957 v6, now have the MT 957 GTS- couldn't be happier. Sure, it doesnt have the power of the turbo/turbo S or shift like a GT2, but find another sport-oriented MT suv to compare it to.... there aren't any and likely never will be. Keep checking the usual sites daily and it might take a few months and be on the other side of the country, but you'll find yours, and will be glad you waited for it.
Chewbacca (06-02-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:21 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

“inexperienced” lol. Have fun with your egomobiles bros. Don’t forget your 22’s and “driver aids”. I guess the old adage about porcupines and Porsches is true, sadly.
Go to your Control Panel and scroll part way down to Edit Ignore List. That's where you can block @$#% heads and make rennlist much more enjoyable.

Did you end up buying that '08 MT you mentioned in another thread?

Last edited by 19psi; 06-01-2023 at 08:28 PM.
Chewbacca (06-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Manual trans cars available