Sponsored by:

Manual trans cars available

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 02:15 AM
Chewbacca
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual trans cars available

I have an affinity for three pedal cars, I don’t know why, I just do. So I’m curious if it will be even feasible to find one of these with a stick. Does anyone here know about this car in Seattle?
Or, anyone have a nice example on here for sale?

Old 05-25-2023, 09:44 AM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
I have an affinity for three pedal cars, I don’t know why, I just do. So I’m curious if it will be even feasible to find one of these with a stick. Does anyone here know about this car in Seattle?
Or, anyone have a nice example on here for sale?
I was cured of looking for a manual transmission Cayenne when I finally found and drove one.

The gearbox can be best described as "agricultural".
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 11:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

I started my 957 Cayenne search knowing I was going to only buy a GTS with the manual as I'm a manual transmission guy. Drove one - meh, drove another one just to be sure it wasn't the first one - same feeling. Then I drove a Turbo and never thought about the GTS again, then I drove a Turbo S and knew that's what was going to end up in my garage. Focused me search on those and found a 28k mile one from FL, bought it and built my 650 HP widebody beast and love it.

Once you get over the novelty of cool factor of having a manual in your SUV, you realize the throws are long, the gearbox not all that great, and that it doesn't really fit the character of a 5k pound car very well, and only being offered the GTS and lower models, you really miss out on the jaw-dropping performance these things can have by not getting one of the Turbo Models.

Because the manual transmission GTS model vehicles were produced in low numbers, the prices on them are crazy (like $50-$60k) and when you do the cost/performance comparison between a manual GTS and a just as limited production Turbo S with the same aero kit you can get for $10k less, buying the manual GTS doesn't make much sense.

I love our specially built 957 CTTS and am very glad I didn't end up going for the manual GTS every time I pin the pedal to the floor.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:20 PM
Chewbacca
AutoX

Yeah, problem isn’t that I want a manual, it’s that I don’t want an auto. They just make me crazy. Also, I don’t care about HP in a Ute. 300hp is plenty and I’ll be doing a fair amount of off road so that’s a key reason too.
frederickcook87 (07-15-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 01:43 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Does anyone here know about this car in Seattle?
Yes
Its 10000 over market
And the kiddie grease on the wheels and tires is frightening
Chewbacca (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 02:24 PM
Chewbacca
AutoX

Originally Posted by phatz
Yes
Its 10000 over market
And the kiddie grease on the wheels and tires is frightening
yes. The kiddie grease is the least of the worries. I actually saw it yesterday. Red flags abound. First the car runs like crap. Gauge cluster replaced and miles unknown. Gauges read in km only. Car has massive hail damage, water in tail lamps, very faded paint, overall it was a massive waste of my time which I had travelled some distance to see. Oh and not to mention various warning lamps. Just beware anyone who is considering it.
wheni got there the seller was just returning from traveling out of state and I thought it was odd that a maclarren was sitting out in the weather despite several garages around in view. Well, I’m fairly sure they are operating a detail business out of the house and that is probably a customer car who probably doesn’t even know it’s being treated like that lol. Shady acres.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 05-25-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:12 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

They are rare, so be prepared to pay a premium. If you want a GTS, be prepared to shell out 10-20k over Tiptronic prices - some bs about "the most powerful production manual Porsche 8 cylinder ever built". Not that it was a tough bar to clear, as the competition is pretty much just the ancient 928, but whatever - purists love labels.

Good luck!

Last edited by slavie; 05-25-2023 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 02:37 AM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, problem isn’t that I want a manual, it’s that I don’t want an auto. They just make me crazy. Also, I don’t care about HP in a Ute. 300hp is plenty and I’ll be doing a fair amount of off road so that’s a key reason too.
I feel like you are basically where I was a few months ago. I ended up finding a base 955, although in very rough cosmetic shape. It was clearly worse than the one you looked at even from photos. It was sitting on 22" aftermarket rims which tells you a lot about the taste of the previous owner. However, mechanically it checked out. Yes, it's slow and the shift feel is poor. But I don't care, I'd take that over an automatic any day of the week. And it was cheap in the grand scheme of things, despite paying a bit of a premium for three pedals. An equivalent condition automatic would have been VERY cheap.

It's about as quick as a Subaru Crosstrek or a 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner, and I've spent a bit of time driving both. The Subaru was a bit too fragile for what I wanted to do (and way more underpowered for off-road use despite the similar acceleration — not much torque from the 4 cyl and no low range), and while 4Runners are excellent off-road and pretty decent on-road, they are still not as refined for the miles getting to the trail being a body-on-frame, solid rear axle truck. And talk about overpriced. People will pay for the “reliability” of a Toyota but are scared of old German cars, I guess. The Cayenne to me is a perfect mix of the two. Comfortable getting to wherever the adventure will start, and capable enough off-road unless you're doing serious rock crawling. I have a Cayman for the “pure Porsche experience” (whatever that really means) and/or performance aspects.

I'm sure you'll eventually find what you want and probably make out better than I did. I started my search looking for a “beater” and I think I succeeded...
Old 05-26-2023, 11:46 AM
Chewbacca
AutoX

Originally Posted by 01010011
I feel like you are basically where I was a few months ago. I ended up finding a base 955, although in very rough cosmetic shape. It was clearly worse than the one you looked at even from photos. It was sitting on 22" aftermarket rims which tells you a lot about the taste of the previous owner. However, mechanically it checked out. Yes, it's slow and the shift feel is poor. But I don't care, I'd take that over an automatic any day of the week. And it was cheap in the grand scheme of things, despite paying a bit of a premium for three pedals. An equivalent condition automatic would have been VERY cheap.

It's about as quick as a Subaru Crosstrek or a 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner, and I've spent a bit of time driving both. The Subaru was a bit too fragile for what I wanted to do (and way more underpowered for off-road use despite the similar acceleration — not much torque from the 4 cyl and no low range), and while 4Runners are excellent off-road and pretty decent on-road, they are still not as refined for the miles getting to the trail being a body-on-frame, solid rear axle truck. And talk about overpriced. People will pay for the “reliability” of a Toyota but are scared of old German cars, I guess. The Cayenne to me is a perfect mix of the two. Comfortable getting to wherever the adventure will start, and capable enough off-road unless you're doing serious rock crawling. I have a Cayman for the “pure Porsche experience” (whatever that really means) and/or performance aspects.

I'm sure you'll eventually find what you want and probably make out better than I did. I started my search looking for a “beater” and I think I succeeded...
Right, you sound similar in taste to me. I’m also not afraid of a beater, even one that needs a few dash lights addressed etc, but paying 16k$ for one when a better condition auto is 6k$ is just a hard pill to swallow. Especially when they don’t have rear locker. From what I read the 957 vr6 (I wish they would call it a w6 like it actually is) is much more responsive and fills in the gap between subaru and Lexus in giddyup but like mentioned it’s not a big deal. Some of my other vehicles have had engines that could barely even spin themselves up lol. But I have zippy cars and motorcycles for that quick feeling, but none of them are appropriate for connecting distant towns and running in snow etc. This will be a Ute to me.
so, how hard is it to find an auto with the advanced off road package? And what premium does that package come at?
Old 05-26-2023, 03:47 PM
Malibu955
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

The advanced off road package is pretty rare and hard to find, and usually commands a premium higher than manual cars from what I've seen.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:59 PM
Chewbacca
AutoX

Does the cayenne use torsen lsd diffs? I read some mention of it.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Re: rear locker, they apparently can be swapped in from a Touareg, check out this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...t-writeup.html

I'm still just barely getting my Cayenne prepped to the point where I'm ready to take it out on an extended adventure so I haven't developed any data of my own, but I've seen some folks say just the low range, center diff lock and traction control do a pretty good job and the rear locker isn't as important as one might think. But it's one of those things that definitely depends on your use case. I've gotten myself stuck a couple of times in other vehicles where I feel like a locker would have gotten me out, but both were vehicles with less sophisticated drivetrain setups. Plus a less sophisticated driver After going through those experiences I now know certain things to avoid doing...

As far as LSD, someone else will probably know more than me, since I'm really just still learning a lot of Cayenne things as well, but I don't think it was an option? I have access to some parts diagrams, and there is a part marked “limited slip differential electronic” but that's also associated with the option code for “differential lock, rear” (1Y1). So I'm guessing somehow the system just doesn't have a way to distinguish/label the part properly. Maybe the locking one acts like a LSD when it's not fully locked? Nevertheless, it seems like it's an even rarer option than a manual transmission.

Last edited by 01010011; 05-26-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:52 PM
Chewbacca
AutoX

Locker definitely isn’t needed and in many cases would just get me into more trouble. However I’ve had quite a bit of off road experience and I have yet to witness an electronic “traction control” that was worth more turned on than it was turned off. They usually range from annoying to downright dangerous. Center diff lock is mandatory, but aside from that some torsen diffs would be plenty for my uses. Torsen are sublime devices and when coupled with an auto allow very good torque biasing. Humvee came standard with them and I’ve had several in pickups and sports cars where the result was very very positive. Basically you drive with the brake and the gas at the same time, and the amount of brake you use translates directly to torque for the non spinning wheels.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 05-26-2023 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:53 PM
Andrew_955
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Does the cayenne use torsen lsd diffs? I read some mention of it.
I haven't seen anything indicating our stock diffs are torsen, nor have I seen any aftermarket options. If they existed I would probably fit one at both ends.

Originally Posted by slavie
They are rare, so be prepared to pay a premium. If you want a GTS, be prepared to shell out 10-20k over Tiptronic prices - some bs about "the most powerful production manual Porsche 8 cylinder ever built". Not that it was a tough bar to clear, as the competition is pretty much just the ancient 928, but whatever - purists love labels.

Good luck!
If I'm going for bragging rights I want the least number of qualifiers. Wasn't CTTS/E81 the most powerful production V8 Porsche ever at the time? I actually thought it was the most powerful production Porsche period but it looks like the Carrera GT takes it by a fair margin (unless the E81 kit was available in 2003?). We get more twist though (460 vs 531)
Chewbacca (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 09:02 PM
Chewbacca
AutoX

According to this article the second gen hybrids had torsen diffs. In the hybrid section.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...ory-28517.html

Quick Reply: Manual trans cars available