Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo - Brake Bleed Puzzle (for me)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 05:21 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Turbo - Brake Bleed Puzzle (for me)

I have a 2008 Cayenne Turbo. I completed pad and rotor replacement on all 4 wheels, so I decided it would be a good time to flush and replace the brake fluid. Seemed simple enough on the YouTube videos...I ordered a pressure bleeder and began with the right rear wheel and that's where my problem resides at this moment.
I attached the pressure bleeder with 2 liters of brake fluid inside it, pressurized it to 15 psi , then 20 psi. At first, I got fluid out of the line but the fluid had a lot of bubbles in it. Now the line appears to be completely empty. I doubt if I got more than 0.2 liters out of the line. The fluid reservoir was completely full. I then tried the two-person method. This doesn't bring any fluid through the line either.
The bleeder seems to function properly by itself.

Any ideas regarding what I'm doing wrong or how to resolve this issue? Next step is the dealer and I'd rather do that except as a last resort.

Thanks.
Rob

Old 05-28-2023, 06:22 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My first guess would be to remove the bleeder and clean the holes in it, or replace it entirely. This happens all the time on everything in the salt/rust belt.

You don't want any pressure on it when you remove a bleeder and even without pressure it's going to gravity drain out unless you pinch off the hose.

Putting grease on the outside of the bleeder and putting a rubber cap on it (was there from the factory) usually prevents this in the future,
Old 05-28-2023, 10:16 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I also think you have a clogged bleeder screw. Depressurize, remove screw, clean out with a pin.

Last edited by JAGMAN1; 05-30-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:56 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks.

Well, I bought the vehicle from a dealership in Maine, but the bleeder has been capped. I appreciate your input and will see if this resolves the issue.

Fingers crossed!

Rob
Old 05-29-2023, 01:39 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

No joy! The bleeder screw is clear. Pumped the pressure booster up and tried, but no luck. Barring any other suggestions, it looks like we're headed to the shop.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:57 AM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Bad brake hoses sometimes fail internally in a way that makes them act like a check valve. If you're not getting any fluid through the caliper with the bleeder off that would be the next thing to try.

Basically going backwards up through the system until you figure out what WILL bleed and then the previous thing down the line is your problem.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:23 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

History of the car? Mileage? Condition of the car?
If you close everything up and press on the brake pedal, does it lock up the wheels? How about with the engine running and brake booster working? When you got the fluid out, was it out of the inside or outside nipple on the caliper, or both? When the fluid was coming out, was it pressurized?

If you've got 0.2L of fluid out (which is quite a bit) and then it stopped, that sounds very strange. My best guess would be that you ran the master cylinder dry, as that's about how much fluid it would hold. Keep in mind that there are 2 subchambers in the MC.
If you ran the MC dry, you would need to bleed it, which is a different procedure.

Braking system is a critical safety item. Unless you're really willing to go deep into learning things and figuring it out, I would recommend taking it to a shop at this point based on everything you've stated here.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:05 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Thanks all! To the shop it goes.....

Rob

Quick Reply: Turbo - Brake Bleed Puzzle (for me)