Sponsored by:

Need your input Fine Tuning - Android Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 03:47 PM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need your input Fine Tuning - Android Head Unit

So last fall I installed an Android Head unit in my '04 CTT. (the PCM 2.0 died shortly after I put the new one on order.. I guess it saw the end in sight)

Install and everything went well, thanks to all the good info on Rennlist in particular. Now I am trying to kick out the last few bugs or nags that I don't like or don't work and I am looking for input.

I haven't been able to find much or any commentary on the 3 items below.

Microphones - What did you do? Does anyone have a wireless mic they'd recommend to avoid running more wires?
- I have installed the external mic that came with the kit. I have it to the right of the instrument cluster, and left of the center vents.
- The sound sucks, everyone complains about not being able to hear me on calls. Could be a poor quality mic, could also be the placement.

Clocks. In the instrument cluster, and in the HVAC cluster
- They don't keep time.. I can reset them in the main cluster menu, but as soon as its powered off they come back on at some random time.
- Never realized how much I looked at these two times until they are completely wrong
- Any solutions?

Station/Music display in center cluster / Information panel
- I am getting a feed from the new headunit, displying the radio station for example but it is not centered, it is high left, and cropped out of the display view, I can only see 1/2 the characters
- Anyone else experience this?
- Any suggestions?

Greatly appreciate everyone's feedback

Cheers,
MK
Old 06-14-2023, 05:05 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the mic where the factory one is: the overhead console. There really is no substitute and it's not that difficult to run it up to there.

I don't have any issues with the clock, and mine doesn't display anything in the MFD - both of these are likely related to your (faulty) CAN module. I have two of them, one does weird crap like this and the other one just makes the head unit turn on and off when it's supposed to and allows me to use the steering wheel buttons. I use the latter of the two.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:04 PM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Default Thansk for the input

Originally Posted by DarylJ
I have two of them, one does weird crap like this and the other one just makes the head unit turn on and off when it's supposed to and allows me to use the steering wheel buttons. I use the latter of the two.
Thanks for the feedback. So did your unit come with two Canbus modules, or did you have to buy a second separate? Any suggestions on a better quality canbus.

Cheers,
MK
Old 06-14-2023, 11:20 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

You don't mention which Android unit you got, but sounds like you got the "wrong" one.
I have Kenwood unit with one of those Chinese CANBUS adapters or whatever - no issues with clocks, steering buttons work (up/down, volume are the only ones I use, some of the other buttons don't work if I remember right).
I, too, have MIC in the overhead console but wish I had put it in the instrument cluster area - at highway speeds I get a lot of road noise from the mic.
Only some Android units will display some info on the dash. I just got used to not having it and all is good in the world.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2023, 10:17 AM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Appreciate the feedback on the Mic Location... as I am trying to shortcut using others experice to avoid a bunch of trial and error relocation if I can help it.

Pretty sure I don't have the 'wrong' headunit... I chose the Headunit because my primary criteria was to maintain a factory-ish appearance.but I do think the interfaces may have some bugs/quality issues - like the canbus unit. And I don't think the mic supplied is of the best quality.

For reference, it is from OWTosin via Aliexpress, Qualcomm 8Core 8+128G PX6 , Built for the 955 and came with all the custom harnessess etc.. it was plug and play basically - which is what I wanted.

Last edited by MKITGO2; 06-15-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:02 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MKITGO2
Thanks for the feedback. So did your unit come with two Canbus modules, or did you have to buy a second separate? Any suggestions on a better quality canbus.

Cheers,
MK
I'm on unit #2. First one was old enough that it topped out at android 4. Got a "new" one a couple year back that came with a new canbus module that did all the things you're experiencing, swapped the old module back in with the new radio and haven't had anything other than occasional issue since. Most other those issues are things like having "OTHER" or "BLUETOOTH" on the MFD (normally blank on top) sometimes accompanied by no audio. Shutting everything down and restarting fixes it.

Quick Reply: Need your input Fine Tuning - Android Head Unit