Random check brake lights error

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 08:43 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Random check brake lights error

Hi all, I am getting a random check brake lights error nearly constantly this week. The brake lights check out fine and there is no moisture under the carpets. Any thoughts? I may just change out all the bulbs to see if that helps. They haven't been changed under my ownership in nearly 8 years.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Check the third brake light, I had this issue when some of the LEDS went dim.
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 02:40 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rossi
Check the third brake light, I had this issue when some of the LEDS went dim.
Thanks Rossi! I didn't think of that. I will check it out tomorrow. All the best.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:56 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

As @Rossi said, check third brake light. I have had the same issue for years now - warning comes, warning goes, seemingly with no rhyme or reason. I finally managed to catch it in the act once: couple of third brake light LEDs were off when the warning was being displayed.

If you're up for it, the light can be cut open and LED's re-soldered, then light glued back together. It's just standard, I believe 4-pin LEDs. Otherwise, Porsche will gladly sell you a new light.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2023, 01:10 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slavie
As @Rossi said, check third brake light. I have had the same issue for years now - warning comes, warning goes, seemingly with no rhyme or reason. I finally managed to catch it in the act once: couple of third brake light LEDs were off when the warning was being displayed.

If you're up for it, the light can be cut open and LED's re-soldered, then light glued back together. It's just standard, I believe 4-pin LEDs. Otherwise, Porsche will gladly sell you a new light.

Good luck!
Another great tip. I checked the third brake light and everything was fine, but I didn't check it when the error message was displayed. Stay tuned.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:20 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Another great tip. I checked the third brake light and everything was fine, but I didn't check it when the error message was displayed. Stay tuned.
Just for info, I had a couple of similar warnings last year and started checking everything - nothing found! So, just in case,I charged the battery (CTEK) and everything has been OK since.
turbo23dog (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 03:51 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

This started happening to me today, so what's the fix. My third brake light is dim, and my right brake light is dimmer than the left one when the pedal is depressed.

edit: Drove a hundred+ miles since ^ post, and warning light didn't raise its ugly head.

Last edited by TRINITONY; 07-15-2023 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:21 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Aghhh! The dreaded check brake light warning keeps popping up regularly. I changed all the bulbs out after cleaning the contact but nothing has changed. The LED third light seems to be fine and consistently bright, even when the error is displayed. The battery is fully charged and there is NO water inside the cabin anywhere. Incidentally, there was no moisure in either of the tail light assemblies, unlike my last CTT.

Anyone have thoughts what to check next? I suppose I can replace the third brake light just in case, but hate wasting $150 if it is not necessary.

Last edited by TomF; 09-11-2023 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:45 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

When my "Check Brake Lights" error is on, this is what my 3rd brake light looks like. Had to put a few bricks on the pedal to take a look

Old 09-13-2023, 12:08 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I was able to prop the pedal depressed but the LEDs all look fine when the error is occurring. It is interesting, however, that not once yesterday did the error show up. For half the day after I changed out all the bulbs, it persisted. We will see what today brings. I am prepared to replace the LED bar if necessary- the error is seriously annoying!
Old 09-13-2023, 12:15 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TomF
Thanks. I was able to prop the pedal depressed but the LEDs all look fine when the error is occurring. It is interesting, however, that not once yesterday did the error show up. For half the day after I changed out all the bulbs, it persisted. We will see what today brings. I am prepared to replace the LED bar if necessary- the error is seriously annoying!
Yup, exactly my experience. Sometimes light works, sometimes it doesn't, and same for the error. Doesn't seem to be any particular reason for it.
If I give the third light a good whack, it'll straighten up for a while.
I just need to give in and drop a grand on some Porsche parts to take care of the light and a few other bits and pieces here - alarm module is wonky, headlight washer cover is in Narnia, 2 jack covers are missing... Or maybe I'll take the light apart and redo all the solder joints, who knows.
TomF (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 02:06 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slavie
Yup, exactly my experience. Sometimes light works, sometimes it doesn't, and same for the error. Doesn't seem to be any particular reason for it.
If I give the third light a good whack, it'll straighten up for a while.
I just need to give in and drop a grand on some Porsche parts to take care of the light and a few other bits and pieces here - alarm module is wonky, headlight washer cover is in Narnia, 2 jack covers are missing... Or maybe I'll take the light apart and redo all the solder joints, who knows.
Solved! You were correct. This time the error popped up I stopped the car and propped the pedal down, and voila! the third brake light was barely working at all. I'm ordering a new one directly.

Thanks for your assistance!
Old 09-13-2023, 09:36 PM
Ldino21
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I had an issue with my 2008 S that the previous owner replaced all the brake lights with LED's this caused me to keep getting the check brake light, replace all 6 bulbs with regular Sylvania 7506 bulbs and this went away!
Old 09-23-2023, 05:58 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

An update- I replaced the LED third brake light and so far there are no errors. As an FYI, if you use the Pelican Parts DIY, be aware that there are five screws on a 2009 with the Sport spoiler. Two are hidden under the rubber caps on the outer edges of the spoiler. It took me only 20 minutes to change out the part. Make sure you note where each wire and control unit goes...there are a lot of telematics in there if you have a fully optioned P!G.
slavie (09-24-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 12:25 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Final update for now- after a whole weekend after the repair, there have been no errors. Clearly, the replacement unit worked.
TRINITONY (09-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Random check brake lights error