Sponsored by:

'08 engine replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 08:02 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts
Default '08 engine replacement?

local Cayenne S 2008 engine has 4 badly scored cylinders.......the vehicle has only 120k kms with 9/10 interior/exterior.......trans/diffs/drive shafts/t.case all good.

replacement engine or scrap?
Old 07-25-2023, 11:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,191 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
local Cayenne S 2008 engine has 4 badly scored cylinders.......the vehicle has only 120k kms with 9/10 interior/exterior.......trans/diffs/drive shafts/t.case all good.

Buy cheap for parts then scrap. Cost of fixing an S engine will cost 3x the value of the car when done.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:35 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Depends what's available in your area ... where I live there have been several apparently good running engines for sale for less than 2k - 3k cdn . Otherwise if you cant source a decent engine on the cheap I tend to agree that rebuilding is simply not cost effective .
Old 07-25-2023, 11:36 AM
DARIOcaptain
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman

Engine replacement in S & GTS will probably cost more than a value of a car, they are quite cheap now.
Painful to hear that the 9/10 interior/exterior would go for scrap
Old 07-25-2023, 01:35 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Well, what are your intentions? If you're looking to flip, hard pass. On the other end of the spectrum, if the car has a good combination of options/color/no-rust and you were looking for that specific combination forever, and you were able and willing to do some or most of the work yourself, then it could be a maybe depending on your local market condition.

It took me several months to find a clean 957 GTS in Olive Green Metallic, and I paid for it. This was a few years back when a lot more of them were available. But, a silver/black 957 S - no thanks!
Old 07-25-2023, 02:08 PM
DARIOcaptain
Instructor

Originally Posted by slavie
Well, what are your intentions? If you're looking to flip, hard pass. On the other end of the spectrum, if the car has a good combination of options/color/no-rust and you were looking for that specific combination forever, and you were able and willing to do some or most of the work yourself, then it could be a maybe depending on your local market condition.

It took me several months to find a clean 957 GTS in Olive Green Metallic, and I paid for it. This was a few years back when a lot more of them were available. But, a silver/black 957 S - no thanks!
What was wrong with the silver/black 957 S?
Old 07-25-2023, 02:22 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by DARIOcaptain
What was wrong with the silver/black 957 S?
Nothing, if that is what you're looking for. But, they're a lot more common so it makes less sense to spend more money on one - you can just find another.
If you want a more rare color, it's more difficult to find and often those cars have higher value. It's probably cheaper to repair a motor than do a complete, quality color change (where everything, even glass has to come out of the car).
I have yet to see a 957 GTS 6MT in Olive Green Metallic (mine is an auto, as I made the choice that a combination of color and price were more important to me than a 6MT)
Old 07-25-2023, 11:04 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Don't think I've ever seen an OGM 957.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:04 AM
DARIOcaptain
Instructor

Originally Posted by slavie
Nothing, if that is what you're looking for. But, they're a lot more common so it makes less sense to spend more money on one - you can just find another.
If you want a more rare color, it's more difficult to find and often those cars have higher value. It's probably cheaper to repair a motor than do a complete, quality color change (where everything, even glass has to come out of the car).
I have yet to see a 957 GTS 6MT in Olive Green Metallic (mine is an auto, as I made the choice that a combination of color and price were more important to me than a 6MT)
Ah okay, that makes it clear for me. And yeah, S models are hard to find in some rare configuration and in good condition.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:54 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Depends what's available in your area ... where I live there have been several apparently good running engines for sale for less than 2k - 3k cdn . Otherwise if you cant source a decent engine on the cheap I tend to agree that rebuilding is simply not cost effective .
if the 'apparently good running engines" are genuine then it might be worth it.......owner would have to make that decision

Quick Reply: '08 engine replacement?