Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty Air suspesion, Just drop it???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 05:52 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Faulty Air suspesion, Just drop it???

So this TTS i just picked up has the faulty suspension error. the rear is slightly higher than the front, while im figuring it out. is is possible some how to just fully lower it?? so at least it looks even?(while still being driveable)
Old 11-22-2023, 10:06 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

What happens when you use the toggle switch to lower it?
Old 11-22-2023, 11:31 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Klaird928
What happens when you use the toggle switch to lower it?
Nothing, just says "unable"
Old 11-22-2023, 11:49 PM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

That’s weird. Do you have the door closed? Does your air pump have enough pressure to air up a tire with the hose? Have you checked all of the ride height sensors to make sure the linkage is secure? It sounds like you may have an issue with the valve at the pump. There is also a module in the trunk just behind the right rear tire.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:06 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

That’s weird. Do you have the door closed? Does your air pump have enough pressure to air up a tire with the hose? Have you checked all of the ride height sensors to make sure the linkage is secure? It sounds like you may have an issue with the valve at the pump. There is also a module in the trunk just behind the right rear tire.
I havent yet had a chance to get it in the garage yet. But I didnt hear the Pump running. (conversely this other CTT I picked up it seems to run all the time! so I know what it sounds like)

But is it possible to some how depressurize the system so that all 4 wheels level out? and is it drivable like that? (as I know from previous BMW experience that car is completely bottomed out)
Old 12-21-2023, 07:19 AM
PourBoi-Jay
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I would guess you have a faulty air valve on one of your struts. Replace all 4, and that should fix it. Fairly easy DIY for the fronts, if you have a jack. The rears are more challenging with the strut attached, but still doable with some finesse.

No need to get OEM. I’m using a set of 4 from Amazon for around $40 total, and they all work perfectly.

Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
545moose (04-17-2024)
Old 12-21-2023, 09:56 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Ride height is a dynamic system, that cannot be disabled.

The strut valves would have to be disconnected.

As PourBoi-Jay mentioned above, based on the work involved to do that you would be better off replacing them..

Last edited by v10rick; 12-21-2023 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:15 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

There is about a 40-60 Amp fuse under the drivers seat that is used for the pump. If you disconnect your lines at the pump it may drop it, but you do not want to drive it like that. You will break something else that will be more expensive than fixing the air suspension.
Old 12-21-2023, 03:10 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Ok, can anyone clarify what items would make the system, say "unable" or stop the pump from turning on? just trying to determine if the issue is at the struts or on the pump side
Old 12-23-2023, 01:18 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

The only time I have seen that message is when the door is open. If you get the red warning that will not go away, it is most likely the pump. If the pump does not run then it is the pump or the fuse. If your air valves are messed up the pump will still run briefly.
Old 12-23-2023, 03:09 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

The only time I have seen that message is when the door is open. If you get the red warning that will not go away, it is most likely the pump. If the pump does not run then it is the pump or the fuse. If your air valves are messed up the pump will still run briefly.
I spoke with the PO (not the guy I bought it from) he took pretty good care of it, and the struts have all been replaced. I checked the fuse and it is ok. The PO said in the past the pump would sometimes not work, and he was planning on getting a rebuild kit for it, but didn't before he sold it, about a year ago.

Would that have anything to do with why it doesnt level? (in my mercedes, you get out of the car and you can hear the system blow off air)

Several other questions. Can I test or release pressure with the air valve under the pas seat?

How do I put it in service mode to jack it up with the error?

If I pull the pump off to rebuild it, what happens to the suspension, will it be movable (drive it to park it elsewhere)?
Old 12-23-2023, 09:20 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

If you pull the air lines on the pump assembly valve block the car will drop as low as it can go. Doing so does not make the car inoperable but it is highly recommended not to drive it. I was hardheaded too and did everything possible to make mine work including rebuild of the pump, junkyard pump, replaced the valve body, new module from donor, junkyard electric motor, but nothing fixed it until I bought a new pump and motor from Europarts. I have not had another problem since.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:58 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Ok, just barely had a chance to touch it, had to put a new battery in so, so i couldn't move it till now.

I checked the valve under the Pass Seat and it barely had any pressure, but the rear wheel is still up, and front down. does that give any further clue?

Last edited by Not_Sure; 01-06-2024 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:27 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Mine was the exact same, no pressure, front down, rear up. I replaced the pump and motor. No issues since. I bought Wabco pump and motor assembly.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:11 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Mine was the exact same, no pressure, front down, rear up. I replaced the pump and motor. No issues since. I bought Wabco pump and motor assembly.
Ok Ill grab a pump and see if that does it.

Quick Reply: Faulty Air suspesion, Just drop it???