Sponsored by:

OMG where to start. 2005 Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 10:31 PM
Krazymaan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG where to start. 2005 Cayenne Turbo

My biggest issue might just be my entire engine. But I did buy a replacement engine just didn't install it yet. About 2 years ago i was getting some oil pressure warnings on the screen then they go away then come back randomly for a few months right before winter here in MN. The wife drove it for a few months like that then it started ticking softly. So i changed the oil and the oil filter was completely collapsed. WTF i was thinking. Since then the ticking has never went away. In fact after 2 years of driving it about 1,000 miles all together it got louder. Then the tranny started getting jerky under heavier acceleration about 4th gear I'd say. Well i changed the oil 2 weeks ago and thought I'd cut open my oil filter. Oh dear look at this.

Probably not good

Ticking is pretty loud now. Also i purchased the cam tool kit because i was about to remove the drivers side intake cam because i bent a tang for the CPS but i fixed it so i didn't need to remove it. BUT... while turning the crank over I noticed while i was turning it clockwise that I could turn it backwards from about the 2pm position to the 12 position before the cams would start turning and the cam chain would ride high on the sprocket. Probably not a good thing. I'm wondering if that loose chain is the main reason for all the aluminum in my filter. Probably got scoring too i'd suspect being the engine feels like its running on all 7 cylinders and my Xtool screen says something about cylinder #5.

Last edited by Krazymaan; 12-13-2023 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:47 PM
Krazymaan
AutoX

Next. My tranny was perfectly good when i bought the car about 4 years ago. But about 1.5 yrs ago i thought i felt some harsh up and down shifts around the 4th gear area. I just took the pan off, changed the filter then took off the valve body and removed the solenoids and such and cleaned the solenoids with map sensor cleaner (that stuff is better than brake cleaner). But anyway tested the solenoids with a battery and they all clicked fine, cleaned the plungers and stuff without removing them with the same map sensor cleaner then put it all together and it was better but still has that harshness and shuttering around the 4th gear area. now i'm bummed about that too. Fluid was very dark and i replaced it with that Moly Whackadoodle something or other stuff but didn't make a huge difference, especially when i get heavy on the pedal. So for spring when i pull the engine/tranny cradle i was thinking about rebuilding the tranny with new clutches and steels and of course the Orings. I'm not quite sure what resetting the tranny computer is or means. Thinking of getting the Wolfsberg valve body swap. But i want one thats tested and proven to be as good as new, not just some crap shop ripping me off and giving me a dirty untested valve body. Any help in this area is appreciated. I'm thinking the Wolfsberg comes with all the solenoids too, maybe, i hope.
Heres some pics even though I don't think it helps any. Yep that Black soy sauce stuff was my tranny fluid. Oh any thoughts on maybe a new torque converter or are they always good to go?

mine has the two pressure switches, not sure what that means but i know i need to know before buying one.

Free Soy Sauce anyone?

Last edited by Krazymaan; 12-13-2023 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:58 PM
Krazymaan
AutoX

Was getting the check 4 wheel drive picture on my dash but it came and went so i saw a video I'd say in mexico or they just speak mexican but I needed no words. I was about to buy a new motor for the transfer case but I took mine off and took off the three star driver screws and a big black puff of powder came out of there. I cleaned it all out with electrical cleaner, blew the dust until there was no more cleaned it again, used a bit of dielectric grease on the end sleeve bearing put it back together tried to install it and it wouldn't go on. What... Apparently don't have too much fun spinning the motor or you won't get it aligned up on the transfer case again. I had to take off the steel housing then put the motor back up to the transfer case and spin the motor until there was alignment then put the cover back on. Totally fixed it. I can literally feel/hear the faint clunk switching back and forth to low and high range, takes like 1 second now compared to sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't work. Yeah, I'm not done. Have tons of issues.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:13 PM
Krazymaan
AutoX

2005 Cayenne Turbo
How about this one. I have never seen, read or heard about this minor issue. So i have the factory colored screen which appears in fantastic shape. But There is a black radius arch around the top which is suppose to be there but all of my fonts in the top left corner are cut off by this radius thing. I haven't had my dash apart yet but is it possible whatever that black radius thing is has fallen a bit? I thought i might have made my fonts too big but there isn't a choice so no.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:30 PM
Krazymaan
AutoX

Asian wife hit something last winter and busted up the bottom valance but also knocked the fog light loose and the wire came off the fog light so i get a dash warning. Tried to put the wire back on but the intercooler is in the way. Removed the headlight but no access still. I did notice the typical crunchy brittle wire harnesses going to the headlights so i ordered them. They are in the mail. That should take care of my check corner light and fast blinker issue i hope.

last summer my skidsteer did the bucking bronco maneuver in my driveway and rammed my rim like an angry mountain goat. Poor rim lost a tooth but doesn't leak a bit. Can't find me a used 20" Technotronic rim to save my life. Gonna have to bring it to a welder i suspect, then get them all powder coated.

By the way putting Blizzaks on your Cayenne for winter makes it feel indestructible like your driving a Caterpillar front end loader for traction.

Last edited by Krazymaan; 12-13-2023 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:52 PM
Krazymaan
AutoX

So I have a scan tool called Xtool D7. Seems pretty good. Also have another one called Autoenginuity. But whats this Durametric thing all about? I see Durametric, Durametric Pro, ranging from $300 to $900, I don't quite understand. Whats the advantage over what I have, like is it specific to Porsche? The ones i see online just look like a connection between your OBDII port and a laptop that I have to provide myself. Whats the real gig with this Durametric and exactly what do i need to buy to go deep into my system. My Xtool goes pretty deep, so deep that i can change my milage, reset new keys, and it tells me things I don't know anything about, which is a lot of stuff. I was thinking about buying Durametric but I'd like some praising by some folks that already own and/or use it.
Yep, we all like pictures. So...
Have this

Dont have Durametric yet

Old 12-13-2023, 11:53 PM
andredl
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

In a more carefree part of life, when faced with a nearly dead vehicle, I replaced the engine oil with diesel (perhaps it was JP4) and then I started it and let it idle for a few minutes. My hopes were to rinse out the crud and make the problems better. Only it made the problems terminal, and quicker to get over...

Last edited by andredl; 12-14-2023 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:57 PM
Krazymaan
AutoX

Originally Posted by andredl
In a more carefree part of life, when faced with a nearly dead vehicle, I replaced the engine oil with diesel (perhaps it was JP4) and then I would start it and let it idle for a few minutes. My hopes were to rinse out the crud and make the problems better. Only it always made the problems terminal, and quicker to get over...
As a diesel owner too besides my gas guzzlers. I just told my kid a few days ago that maybe I should just put some 15-40 synthetic diesel oil in it and save the 2 gallons of Mobil1 0-40 for the other engine. Then here you are making the same comment/joke.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:56 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

I don't think Wolfsburg makes a VB for the pepper anymore,
Old 12-14-2023, 11:11 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

I had my valve body rebuilt by Valve Body Pros in California. See the thread on it.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:21 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I would not recommend a durametric for the Cayenne. It is limited in its capabilities for the Cayenne and buying one is outdated advice in my opinion. It might have made since back in 2004 when the Cayenne first came out, but now there is a multitude of better scan tools.
The following users liked this post:
brett968 (01-18-2024)
Old 12-14-2023, 01:28 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazymaan
2005 Cayenne Turbo
How about this one. I have never seen, read or heard about this minor issue. So i have the factory colored screen which appears in fantastic shape. But There is a black radius arch around the top which is suppose to be there but all of my fonts in the top left corner are cut off by this radius thing. I haven't had my dash apart yet but is it possible whatever that black radius thing is has fallen a bit? I thought i might have made my fonts too big but there isn't a choice so no.

Your display issues are likely from your radio. You have an aftermarket radio, don't you? I have an Xtrons android radio in mine and the radio or CAN bus adapter isn't programmed correctly to display the radio info in the cluster in the correct place. The screen is a rectangle which is covered by the cluster trim to make the round shape on top of the display. I have inquired about a fix and Xtrons said essentially "we know about this problem and there is no solution available". It's fixable, they just don't care.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:41 PM
blaino
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been waiting on an Xtrons fix for this forever. It's the smallest yet most annoying quirk!
Old 01-17-2024, 09:59 PM
Krazymaan
AutoX

I do have that big ol Xtrons stereo in mine, its hooked to the steering wheel and everything else, front and rear camera. Did it myself LOL. Works great most of the time. I contacted Xtrons and i told them that after a while the sound comes and goes maybe 4 seconds on, 4 seconds off, repeat. They told me i need to replace my fiber optic line going to the amp thing down in the spare wheel hole. Never did it yet and its been two yrs. I will eventually just life gets in the way.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:01 PM
Krazymaan
AutoX

Even though its January in MN and no snow its still cold so i gave up on the Porsche until next summer. I'll install the new engine then. Sux because the wife has to drive my built, lifted Jeep TJ this winter and I don't want her too.

Quick Reply: OMG where to start. 2005 Cayenne Turbo