Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone seen this? Engine had a poof of smoked and died. Wont start now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 10:47 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Loose or corroded connector caused the connection to burn.
Joel, Good to see some of my ole 968 guys still out there. Hope all is well.
No doubt about corrosion but here in AZ where this car lives I wonder if there is more going on.

Cheers, Mike

Old 12-28-2023, 10:50 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

The coil in the last pic is an old spare I have not to burnt replacement one. Just changed them last month and this is what happens. Go figure.
Old 12-28-2023, 10:51 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I have a junk engine harness if you need a connector cut off with some wire. You could splice it in.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:56 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by notthd
The coil in the last pic is an old spare I have not to burnt replacement one. Just changed them last month and this is what happens. Go figure.
I did a full set of coils in my '05 VR6 once; quality coils, or so I thought. As far as I can figure they were counterfeit, because over the next several months, four of the six burned themselves up. It always seemed to happen when I was out. I just happened to have the old coils in a cardboard box in the back. I'd stick in one of the old coils and things were fine until the next new coil burned up.

Eventually I bought another full set of coils from FCP Euro and I haven't had any problems in the years or tens of thousands of miles since.
The following users liked this post:
thesteve (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,953 Posts

I have the full set of OEM Porsche coils I pulled from my Cayenne Turbo S when I preventatively replaced them a couple months ago. No misfires or running issues at all and no cracks on the tubes or insulators on the backs. If someone wants them as spares, we can work out a great price.

This is what the spark plugs looked like

Old 12-29-2023, 12:32 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by notthd
Coil removed it is toast and so is the connector.
Oh well - so I found the "smoking gun LOL"

Cheers ,Mike
Glad you found it. Had a hunch something fried itself based on your "puff of smoke", then nothing. I would trace the harness backwards from the coil to ensure nothing else fried it's insulation.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:23 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

i
Originally Posted by theprf
I have a junk engine harness if you need a connector cut off with some wire. You could splice it in.
I will take you up on that for sure. I am going to a yard today that may have one but if they do not I'll PM you my number or shoot me yours.
Thank you

Cheers, Mike
Old 12-29-2023, 02:24 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have the full set of OEM Porsche coils I pulled from my Cayenne Turbo S when I preventatively replaced them a couple months ago. No misfires or running issues at all and no cracks on the tubes or insulators on the backs. If someone wants them as spares, we can work out a great price.

This is what the spark plugs looked like
I may want them as spares. I'll drop you a line with my number. Thanks for the offer and not throwing out the old ones LOL

Old 12-29-2023, 02:26 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95_993
Glad you found it. Had a hunch something fried itself based on your "puff of smoke", then nothing. I would trace the harness backwards from the coil to ensure nothing else fried it's insulation.
Thank you and will trace it back more. Say Hello to lake Keowee for me. Haven't been east in a while. Had a boat in the parade around Christmas from time to time back in the day.

Cheers, Mike
Old 01-01-2024, 12:46 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Local yard let me hack out a couple of feet of the coil harness for $20 bucks. "Winning" or so I thought. Spliced it in and put every thing back together and still no start and continuous turning over. Again WTF.

Went back and reconnected every connector to make sure they were engaged. Pulled every fuse and relay checked, ohmed, and reconnected to make sure contacts were made.

There is a GOD, it started. Drove it to the store, the autoparts place and the local cruise in and all is good. It actually seems to run better. Threw a code but haven't read it yet. My advice is to pull the ECU fuse to force it to reset or use a good scan tool to wipe it so all limp home or don't start stuff is clean and force the module to relearn the new parts.

It is my instinct and not knowledge of science. Something to try if you guys see similar. All for now. She is on the road again. Thank you to all.

Cheers, Mike
The following users liked this post:
phatz (01-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this? Engine had a poof of smoked and died. Wont start now.