Sponsored by:

Can't open rear hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 06:55 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Default Can't open rear hatch?

955 CTTS. I closed the rear hatch and it did not make the whirring noise to pull itself tight until I pushed it in a bit.
Now the release does nothing; can't open the hatch. Window opens like usual.
Anyone seen this and how much trouble am I in to get it open?
AFAIK the only release switch is the rubbery thing above the license plate which seems to have two actual buttons - neither of which do anything.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:58 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Check for a blown fuse?
Old 01-11-2024, 07:31 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Crawl in the back. There is a small square plastic cover plate at the bottom of the door. Pop it off to access a small lever with linkage connected. Pinch the lever and the lid should open. That will allow you to troubleshoot. Sometimes a rock, coin, Lego, or something gets stuck in the mechanism. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Tangerine Dream (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 07:51 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Was the whirring sound caused by the physical motion of you pushing the lid closed all the way or did the electro mechanical latch pull it closed once it was engaged?
Old 01-11-2024, 02:06 PM
theprf
Drifting

I checked the fuses: #30 and #32 in the right dashboard fuse box, both ok.
I found the cover for the release lever. That makes it easy to open, and makes me wonder if Porsche might have thought it was a bit complicated.
When I pushed it closed the other day the motor closed it the last bit like usual. Now the motor seems totally dead. So more troubleshooting is needed.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Now we need to figure out if it is the plunger that squeezes the lever in side the door, where you opened it from under the plastic cover or is it the baseplate on the door seal not releasing it. I have replaced both at one time or another on separate Cayennes. If something is jammed in the baseplate under the stainless flap it can keep it from releasing. The plunger in the door should still actuate when the door is open and you pull the handle on the tailgate. If you you need to replace the plunger you will need to pull off the carpet piece of the rear hatch. If you need to pull the motor on the cargo area floor, you have to pop the stainless door seal at the bottom.
If you have an automatic door all of this information may be irrelevant.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Readily abialable access to manual release for a hatch or trunk has been mandated in the US for quite some time now. Prevents people from getting locked in the backs of cars, of course the kidnappers usually cut these release cables off, butt there's always a way to manually open a trunk or hatch.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:34 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

I did a write up on how to get the hatch open if you can't do it from that little cover in the back.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...tch-issue.html
Old 01-12-2024, 09:40 AM
theprf
Drifting

I think the actual problem is the tailgate closed microswitch. Now that I have opened the tailgate with the emergency lever when it's "closed" the motor doesn't pull it tight and the tailgate open warning is on the dash.
And, of course if the BCM does not see the tailgate closed microswitch indicating tailgate is closed it will not enable the touch pad to open the tailgate - because the tailgate is seen as open already.
So I'll need to find the tailgate closed microswitch which must be in the latch or the actuator and fix/replace the part.

@jeff spahn I am super happy that I did not need to cut the latch to get the thing open. That was an ordeal!
Old 01-12-2024, 11:14 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm not sure if the microswitch is in the upper or lower lock, but both parts look to be inexpensive.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...12-505-02-M100

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...m?bc=c&SVSVSI=

Double check my part numbers, but I THINK those are correct.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:26 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
I think the actual problem is the tailgate closed microswitch. Now that I have opened the tailgate with the emergency lever when it's "closed" the motor doesn't pull it tight and the tailgate open warning is on the dash.
And, of course if the BCM does not see the tailgate closed microswitch indicating tailgate is closed it will not enable the touch pad to open the tailgate - because the tailgate is seen as open already.
So I'll need to find the tailgate closed microswitch which must be in the latch or the actuator and fix/replace the part.

@jeff spahn I am super happy that I did not need to cut the latch to get the thing open. That was an ordeal!
Indeed it was. It sucked.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:56 PM
theprf
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
I'm not sure if the microswitch is in the upper or lower lock, but both parts look to be inexpensive.
I think the closed microswitch is in the upper latch. I see an electrical socket in the pictures online.
I am confused about the motor that pulls it fully closed. That must be in the lower latch although the pictures dont seem to show anything that looks like a motor.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:59 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
I think the closed microswitch is in the upper latch. I see an electrical socket in the pictures online.
I am confused about the motor that pulls it fully closed. That must be in the lower latch although the pictures dont seem to show anything that looks like a motor.
Looks like the lower under the flip plate is just a loop catch. Motor and switch must be in the hatch.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:48 PM
theprf
Drifting

Ok, the latch on the tailgate has two microswitches in it. It senses open - partially closed - fully closed.
The pull-in function is definitely in the lower latch.
All that works great on my car. The problem is the release switch in the aftermarket backup camera/release pad is defective. I have the tailgate inner cover off and I have removed all the visible screws and cannot get it out of the tailgate.

Which backup camera/release pad is everyone using? I see this one on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
Mine has the camera on the other corner, not that it matters I guess. There's also a power converter already installed next to the CD changer.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:57 PM
Malibu955
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

That's the one I'm using. I've had it for almost three years now and still working great.

Quick Reply: Can't open rear hatch?