Sponsored by:

2010 Cayenne Base - Vacuum Line Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 09:10 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 2010 Cayenne Base - Vacuum Line Cracked

Can anyone identify this vacuum line? It's cracked on my Cayenne at the elbow next to the coolant expansion tank. The PET I have shows it but doesn't give much information on it. I'm wondering what it connects to after it disappears into the firewall (see red circle on PET diagram). The EVAP system perhaps? If anyone could provide a part number that would be grand.

Barry

Last edited by Barry A. Waters; 02-15-2024 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:45 AM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

95535557941 is what I used on my 2009 base.

Rein 06F103235A is a cheaper alternative to #7, this one breaks as well if you pull the intake or disturb it.

Mark

Last edited by mdistel; 02-16-2024 at 07:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Barry A. Waters (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 05:00 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Well, that's ONE mystery solved. Here's a supplier's image flipped over so it's oriented properly. The area circled in red is where my problem occurred. Still wonder what that end connects to though BUT this is indeed the part. Thanks Mark! :-)

Barry

Old 02-28-2024, 09:22 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

After considering replacing Vacuum Line 6 (see PET page image in Post #1 above) I've got more questions. Apparently I could have a Vacuum Line 4 to Left Front of Manifold and a Line 5 whose name or purpose I know not. Does anyone know if these are 'hard' plastic lines like Vacuum Line 6 is? Probably more important is access to the Vacuum Pump connection (and to wherever Line 5 might run if I have that line). With the engine beauty panels removed I can't even see the Vacuum Pump much less understand how I could remove/replace Line 6 from it. Does this mean that the Manifold needs to be removed to access it? THAT would be a royal PITA. Has anyone been through this before (Vacuum Line 6 or Vacuum Pump replacement)?

Barry
Old 02-28-2024, 10:37 PM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

From what I recall line 5 and 4 were rubber hose. Neither gave me any trouble when removing my intake. They most likely can be replaced with the correct size silicone hose in a pinch.

Mark
Barry A. Waters (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:56 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Line 9 goes to the evap emissions charcoal canister via the electric valve.
Line 7 goes to the PCV valve.
Line 6 goes to the brake booster.
Line 5 supplies vacuum to something behind the engine bay. Probably the leak detection pump.
Line 4 goes to the intake resonance flap valve.

I believe 4 & 5 are either all rubber or might be nylon with rubber connectors. These are small lines, perhaps 6mm.
Barry A. Waters (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 05:36 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Great replies above from mdistel and theprf but the question of access to the vacuum pump and its connections remains. Does the Intake Manifold have to be removed to get to it? That would bring into play other things prone to breakage like the 'crackpipe' and stuff. I'm a bit leary of collateral damage at this point...

Barry
Old 03-01-2024, 08:54 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry A. Waters
Can anyone identify this vacuum line? It's cracked on my Cayenne at the elbow next to the coolant expansion tank. The PET I have shows it but doesn't give much information on it. I'm wondering what it connects to after it disappears into the firewall (see red circle on PET diagram). The EVAP system perhaps? If anyone could provide a part number that would be grand.

Barry

Barry,

Since the crack/solit is just on the end, slide some heat shrink tubing over it, put the fitting in and shrink away. Will work while you sort out replacing the line. I had to do the same on my brake booster line until I could replace it.
Barry A. Waters (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 11:06 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95_993
Since the crack/solit is just on the end, slide some heat shrink tubing over it, put the fitting in and shrink away. Will work while you sort out replacing the line. I had to do the same on my brake booster line until I could replace it.
Thanks 95_993. I used some high quality electrical tape for a similar solution. Since no plastic was missing from the hose I compressed the end back into it's original circumference and applied several wrappings of tape that covered about the first 3" of the hose (well beyond the split) so it's nice and sturdy. It slipped back on its connection very securely and does not leak. The fact that this pipe carries a vacuum is in our favor as the tape (or shrink tube in your case) will be pulled into the previous crack (although an almost hairline crack now) which helps seal things. Looks like a semi-permanent fix to me!

On another thought, I'm assuming that Porsche went with this rigid plastic line to insure against the lines collapsing under high vacuum conditions. This would be a consideration if you want to replace them with rubber hose. Make sure you use hose that can take the max vacuum the system can generate without caving in on itself either at first or years later after 'aging' for a while under in-service conditions!

Barry

Quick Reply: 2010 Cayenne Base - Vacuum Line Cracked