Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Fluid is This - Green (Maybe Yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 10:15 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,047 Posts

A/C stop leak is bad news. You might need to change the entire A/C system to get it working. Every time that stuff absorbs moisture it congeals into thick goop.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:39 PM
AeroStress
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
A/C stop leak is bad news. You might need to change the entire A/C system to get it working. Every time that stuff absorbs moisture it congeals into thick goop.
Yeah, I agree...in hindsight I wish I did not do it (though it did seem to stop the nasty evaporator leak which is a massive job and may break a lot of stuff on the way). I have heard its best to flush out the entire system (or replace it like you said), but I have gone through 2 compressors now and it doesn't seem that goop would cause a leak (though it may kill a compressor). When I pull the current one out, I am hoping it shows less goop (or no goop). In that case, I may be in the clear. I will know more when I pull this one out and have a look.

Also, I just removed the refrigerant and pulled a vacuum and there is a slow leak (used to hold overnight) so I presume that is from the compressor and why the oil is leaking. If it held vacuum overnight, then I would really be confused. That said, it was still blowing cold air and the AC gage readings were good...but I bet it was just leak enough out such that it would stop working.

Last edited by AeroStress; 03-26-2024 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:02 PM
AeroStress
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to close this out (for the most part), I pulled the refrigerant out and cleaned everything up real good. After running it for a while (20-40 miles) there is no sign of a leak. So I am 99% confident this was compressor oil leaking. And myself and someone else incorrectly theorized that the AC would not work if the compressor fluid was leaking...so that was interesting (and also why I keep my mind open about that scenario). I will know 100% after I replace the compressor (I always like to leave a little space for error), but this is the data I collected.
The following users liked this post:
slavie (03-27-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 11:29 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I can't say for sure if my AC was working for a time while the compressor was dripping oil, but if oil is pooled at the compressor seal and there is a slow leak the gas will push some oil out.
Tire Slime works like this.

It makes sense that the seals would be bathed in oil, there might be a void that is designed to maintain a puddle of oil on top of them.

Quick Reply: What Fluid is This - Green (Maybe Yellow)