Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JARO
madfox, where did you get your extended warranty and how much did you pay?
posted that a while back.. unfortunately I got mine from 1sourceautowarranty.com... not unfortunate for me.. because it appears to be a really reputable and good company.. but they dropped all Porsches except the Boxster.... hmmm, what does that say!?! Try the CPO option or there are some others that still do Cayennes. I'll go look at my file at the office and post the other companies that were pretty close in price and reputation etc. tomorrow for you.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:01 AM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
Just a place holder for those wondering about costs of replacement Rotors / Pads

One post I saw mention $1050 fitted by a dealer

The front Rotors and a Set of Pads can be bought online for $280 + $40 shipping, Total $320.

All we need now is a procedure, I will be the guinea pig and take pix unless someone has already done the job in which case please respond to this post.
Just curious, where did you get the online price?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:24 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From Nights Auto
sales@nightsauto.com
Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 PM
JARO
Pro

Sunset took care of me very well for all Porsche OEM stuff....
www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php
Old 11-15-2005, 01:23 PM
DMD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 15K miles and my dealer (Newport Auto Center) in Newport Beach, CA just told me that I need both front and rear brakes and that they need to replace the pads and rotors.
1. Is this normal milage for front and rear brakes?
2. Do front and rear brakes get about the same milage before replacement is required?
3. Is it true that they always replace the rotors with the pads (no resurfacing)?
4. What is a reasonable price to pay?
5. What is a reasonable price to pay for the 15-20K first major servicing?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:21 PM
356driver
Racer

DMD,

It seems like Cayenne brake wear depends heavily on driving style (for tires too). I got 35K out of my front brakes and am just about to replace my rears at 45K. Newport Auto Center did not try to sell me front and rear brakes at the same time.

Newport's service prices seem a bit high compared to other postings on this forum. I have seen others post service prices from $120 to $400 and Newport seems to be toward the high end of that range.

It is true the rotors have to be replaced and this is true for many cars these days. The brake pad compounds contain a lot of metal and they wear down the rotors a lot faster than the old asbestos pads. I have had three Volvos and they all have the same problem.

I have to admit it is hard to swallow a $1000 per axle brake job but it doesn't seem to be out of line with other dealer pricing. I am following with interest this thread on DIY brakes. If someone posts good instructions I will probably be motivated to save big dollars by doing it myself. I don't have any fear of changing brakes and rotors - I have done it many times but not on a Cayenne.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:33 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

DMD, I agree with 356Driver. It depends a lot on your driving, your model Cayenne (base, S, or Turbo) and your area. I am in a very hilly area of the southern Appalachians with a S -- so your low mileage would make me suspicious. Do you drive hard, race or go in/out of mountains for skiing etc.? At this mileage I would think that you should only need the fronts. My price was front rotors only and pads for all four. The rear rotors can wait one more time. I, too have Volvos for all my kids since they are tanks and momma wants her babies protected. They wear through rotors every dang time because of the weight of the vehicle and the pads maybe go 20K with teens driving. Your situation seems too early and too much. You shouldn't need rotors at this low of mileage.. maybe just pads.. but then again who knows? GET A SECOND OPINION somewhere else.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:12 PM
356driver
Racer

As a follow up - today my car is in for scheduled maintenance (45K miles) and I requested that they check my rear brakes for possible replacement. Newport Auto Center just called and told me I do NOT need rear brakes. They had every opportunity to sell me a $1050 brake job but they didn't, so my respect for this dealership has bumped up a notch.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 PM
DMD
Intermediate

Talking

So 45K miles and still the original rear pads and rotors? Who at Newport Auto is your service rep? Glad to hear of your positive experience and thanks for the update.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:02 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DMD
So 45K miles and still the original rear pads and rotors? Who at Newport Auto is your service rep? Glad to hear of your positive experience and thanks for the update.
Unless you have your left foot resting on the brake pedal or you screech to halts or you've done figure 8's .. I honestly cannot see how it is possible for you to be through your brakes.. therfore if the dealer is good as 356Driver says then I'd tell them they must be defective and get a 1/2 credit on the pads.. but the rotors too? something still don't smell right?!

Last edited by MadFox; 11-18-2005 at 08:37 AM. Reason: breaks for brakes just bothered me!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:28 AM
356driver
Racer

DMD, my service rep at Newport is Richard Rivera.

I got my TT back this evening and the writeup indicated I have 35% service left on the rear pads. I mentioned earlier I had my front pads/rotors replaced at 35K miles. They reported 65% wear remaining on the fronts (at 45K miles) which seems consistent with the previous wear rate. I don't want to overdo it, but when a dealer is being straight up they deserve recognition. Heaven knows we are quick to complain so why not.

The brakes on the Cayenne are nothing short of phenominal. They are capable of bringing a 5000 lb truck to a stop in a distance that most two-seat sports cars cannot match. But there are laws of physics and a price to pay for deceleration. The pads and rotors must be burning off a lot of material when they are used under higher performance conditions.

I tend to take it easy on brakes. The Cayenne tiptronic seems to be programmed to downshift in conjunction with braking so I try to use the engine compression to slow down whenever possible. So maybe that's why I got 35K on the fronts and my rears are still going strong.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:18 PM
johnhct
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any chance anyone has found dustless pads? Or, are the newer pads any better than the originals for limiting brake dust?

I only have 7500 miles on my '04 but I'm hoping they wear out soon if the dust problem has improved.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

By way of an update.

My parts did not arrive in time for last weekend, they arrived yesterday minus the brake pads and I am in dispute with the supplier NightsAuto who now say they did not include them in the price they quoted me.

No true, they even insist you send the original email back to them when you order.

So the rules still apply, when buying over the internet ...beware. They did offer me pagid pads at more that that the dealer charges for OEM so thats....good ??? (meds required)

Anyway I will not be buying from Nightsauto again and would no longer recommend them.

On another note has anyone seen these rotors ? they are HUGE and VERY heavy.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:34 PM
JARO
Pro

yeah...heavy suckers!
Old 12-10-2005, 07:23 PM
bigdog
Advanced

Default brake rotors

will slotted rotors or cross drilled rotors vois ur warranty even if there from brembo themselves has anyone seen this i need brakes soon this would help me alot guys ,,thanks

Quick Reply: Front Brakes