Sponsored by:

Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front Brakes

Just a place holder for those wondering about costs of replacement Rotors / Pads

One post I saw mention $1050 fitted by a dealer

The front Rotors and a Set of Pads can be bought online for $280 + $40 shipping, Total $320.

All we need now is a procedure, I will be the guinea pig and take pix unless someone has already done the job in which case please respond to this post.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:29 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought the parts and went to a service place(non-Porsche dealer) which specialized in Porsches and BMW's. Total with labot was like 600 bucks but bastards over-torqued my wheels and bent a part under the rotor which casued the vibration during braking at high speeds. Will never do it again.
Porsche fixed it at no charge to me as one time deal under warranty thanks to Loeber Porsche in Chicago and their techs/service manager. Remember you get 15% PCA discount on labor. Just did back breakes and paid about 1000 with parts.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:32 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Good Info, was I close $ on the Parts ? Also what mileage did you have on them ?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:53 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
Just a place holder for those wondering about costs of replacement Rotors / Pads. One post I saw mention $1050 fitted by a dealer
The front Rotors and a Set of Pads can be bought online for $280 + $40 shipping, Total $320. All we need now is a procedure, I will be the guinea pig and take pix unless someone has already done the job in which case please respond to this post.
Don't forget the sensors! I used a 10% off coupon that I got from PCNA that is overprinted by the local dealer. All told still feel better about using the dealer. FYI, today my S is in for alignment and rotate/balance tires (have $50 off coupon) and the little warranty item -- alum. door strip fell off (found out they had done the recall/warr. on previous visit) apparently the new tape wasn't that good! Anyway.. FREE Loaner for this trip even though they don't usually do so.. My dealer charged below prices (looking directly at invoice)
Labor $285
Parts $459 (front rotors only - next time rear. they were okay now)
Freightparts 20
Total $764
1o% coupon = 76
Total to me: $688 plus got loaner car for entire day Free.
I did brakes little early not too much.. at 50,500 miles.
Very satisified with job dealer cost. Decided wasn't worth the effort for a couple of hundred bucks since I really don't have the tools or the patience!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I forgot the sensors, I bought 2 off ebay a few months ago for $3 late one night.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:25 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
I forgot the sensors, I bought 2 off ebay a few months ago for $3 late one night.
Okay, then you're set. Couple hundred savings in labor and about $100 or so in parts. Now, your time.. what is that worth and how much of it will it take? Brakes probably are one thing most of us could probably do.. but those big old calipers look intimidating and metric tools and jacking it up and the old Murphy's law that I'd screw it up .... led me to the dealer (I wouldn't use NTB etc. i.e. previous post by JARO).. But hey, you're a do-it-yourself Porsche stud muffin.. Go Mudman2 Go!!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:20 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

haha, I dont think I have paid for brakes in 20 years or more (to mean), I even taught my daughter to do her 300E for her high school graduation project. (see my website). So I think I will spend a Saturday morning sitting in the cold, believe it or not I find it relaxing.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wait a minute.......

First I get told that I really should wash/wax the Cayenne more than once in 2 years.
Then I get told that I really do need to change the oil/filter eventually (have never even opened the hood on the Cayenne...afraid what's under there)
Now I'm being told that the brakes will have to be replaced?

Somebody hold me, I'm scared.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Perhaps its just the therapy you need to get you right, :-)
Old 11-14-2005, 05:38 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Wait a minute.......

First I get told that I really should wash/wax the Cayenne more than once in 2 years.
Then I get told that I really do need to change the oil/filter eventually (have never even opened the hood on the Cayenne...afraid what's under there)
Now I'm being told that the brakes will have to be replaced?

Somebody hold me, I'm scared.
have never even opened the hood on the Cayenne...afraid what's under there

Lewis-- Open up the hood...that V8 really is a thing of beauty...it might make you feel a little better..."
Old 11-14-2005, 05:39 PM
JARO
Pro

wow 600 on labor and parts...that is nice...my deler charges 150/hr...i got 15k miles from the fronts and 30k from the rears...my car is the 03 which came with the squeeking brake pads that first came out....also....wheel allignment was about 400....car drives like a dream now. Great 2 new sets of brakes, allignment (beleive me the truck needs it every 15-20k miles).
Old 11-14-2005, 05:41 PM
JARO
Pro

one sugestion I have is to get the parts from internet sites then compare to what dealer would charge you and see if they can match..if not and difference is significant then buy your parts and have them install it. I learned my lesson trying to save 400 bucks
Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JARO
one sugestion I have is to get the parts from internet sites then compare to what dealer would charge you and see if they can match..if not and difference is significant then buy your parts and have them install it. I learned my lesson trying to save 400 bucks
Oh, I do the internet price plus freight drive the price lower stuff all the time.. that is how I got the S for such a nice price. I'd be curious where Mudman2 got his pads etc. At the time, I couldn't find anything much cheaper.. Mudman2 -- so where you be havin' your pads from, bro'?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:19 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JARO
wow 600 on labor and parts...that is nice...my deler charges 150/hr...i got 15k miles from the fronts and 30k from the rears...my car is the 03 which came with the squeeking brake pads that first came out....also....wheel allignment was about 400....car drives like a dream now. Great 2 new sets of brakes, allignment (beleive me the truck needs it every 15-20k miles).
BTW, they didn't finish today.. so having the loaner for alignment, balance, rotate was a great deal.. the TMS (Lewis will love this) acted up for them and so they're ordering new sensors.. so I'll have to go back when they come in. He said, "this been acting up a lot? We got a lot of codes." I told him that 60-70% of the time in the last couple of months TMS is ti*s up (sorry ladies old Navy habits die hard) -- No pressure problems, not cold yet down here (record highs this past week.. but get ready 30 degrees mid-week) and I'm now used to the ! light with the warning saying TMS... Maybe if I towed something the ! would cancel each other? Lewis???? I think they're doing this all on PAG warranty and not my new ext. warranty (I not be a naked boy).. Oh well, we'll see how the alignment and all that works out and will report tomorrow. 19K so far on Diamaris and still no problems.. no thumping, vibration or shimmy.. but still going to put the low RF on the front too.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:55 PM
JARO
Pro

madfox, where did you get your extended warranty and how much did you pay?

Quick Reply: Front Brakes