Sponsored by:

Remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Zin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote start?

I'm going out on a limb here...is it possible to have remote start installed on the Cayenne? It's damn cold here........
Old 12-18-2005, 10:35 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not that I have heard due to the brake interlock, sorry
Old 12-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

What about Blue Heat - I don't know anything about it other than the ads on the radio
http://www.techwebasto.com///images/...ueHeat_001.swf
Old 12-19-2005, 10:30 AM
chrisoutzen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shamus
What about Blue Heat - I don't know anything about it other than the ads on the radio
http://www.techwebasto.com///images/...ueHeat_001.swf
I have heard these ads also and always wondered how this device would effect your battery. If it is cold enough to use the "Blue Heat" device your battery is already not going to be at its best. I would hate to get into a nice warm car that can't start due to a drained battery.

O.T. Shamus did you work at AA back in the day? I think you helped (and maybe still do) me deal with the IRS..
Old 12-19-2005, 01:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Whatever happened to the factory option for the parking heater?

You know, the one that kept a lot of the first 03 Cayennes impounded by the EPA at the port because PAG/PCNA didn't have the paperwork/certification.

Another interesting tidbit of Cayenne trivia...........
Old 12-19-2005, 01:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmn, turns out that Webasto is the OEM to Porsche for the parking heater, option code 7VE.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:46 PM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LTC you're on the money with Webasto. The question is the difference between:
Parking Heater with Timer - Option Code 7VE (US/Canada Market only)
Circulates hot engine coolant through the heater core to maintain heat in the passenger compartment for up to 20 minutes.
and
Standheizung - Option Code 7VL (German/European Market only)
Wasserzusatzheizung, programmierbar über das Tastenfeld im Klimabedienschalter oder aktivierbar über die mitgelieferte Fernbedienung. Weitere Informationen unter www.webasto.de
- which roughly translated means:
Auxillary water heater, programable by using the buttons on the Climate Control System or activated by using the supplied remote control. Additional information is available at: www.webasto.de

I don't know exactly how the Porsche Standheizung works, but my neighbor has a Mercedes with a Standheizung and at a set time the heater comes on and the car is warmed automatically. He installs these things in his shop so I will ask him exactly how it works. Of course, Webasto site will explain it also. I have yet to hear of a complaint about battery drain (in about 30 years).
I checked this out when I ordered my Cayenne and was told it is not offered on the US models. A shame, this is a great option on an SUV. Maybe they think if one has a garage one does not need such an option. Many people over here do not have garages (but that is changing). Just some food for thought. JW
Old 12-19-2005, 02:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I believe that US Cayennes have the 'REST' function, provided by a button on the climate control (above the Econ button) as 7VE currently. This runs a small electric motor and circulates (hot) coolant thru the heater core and into the cabin. I use it all the time on my Cayenne when I'm going inside and coming back out. IIRC, it was part of the Electronic Comfort Package....can't be sure, as I didn't order my Cayenne, I just bought if off the lot (not fussy about the Cayenne).

7VL is the option that was initially brought over, pissed off the EPA to no end, as it was burning fuel without a certifcation and/or catalyst and resulted in vehicle impound.
I don't think we'll ever see 7VL over here as Porsche is likely unwilling to spend the $ to redesign/certify the system for US emissions requirements...but I could always be wrong..........
Old 12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that explanation. I will never understand the political sense in the different safety and ecology laws as applied to automobiles. I believe clean air is clean air (don't the politicians know it moves around the earth) and safety is safety. Or, would it get boring if all things were equal? JW
Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Zin
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
I believe that US Cayennes have the 'REST' function, provided by a button on the climate control (above the Econ button) as 7VE currently. This runs a small electric motor and circulates (hot) coolant thru the heater core and into the cabin. I use it all the time on my Cayenne when I'm going inside and coming back out. IIRC, it was part of the Electronic Comfort Package....can't be sure, as I didn't order my Cayenne, I just bought if off the lot (not fussy about the Cayenne).
Thanks Lewis....I have not used that option yet. I hadn't even thought about until you mentioned it. How long does it run for, etc? Per your description it doesn't actually heat the coolant, just circulates the already hot coolant? If I were to answer my own question then I would say the warming effect when using REST only lasts as long as the coolant is hot. Would a good estimate be 30 minutes, 45, 1 hour?

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Zin,
It runs on an internal timer. I've never put a stopwatch to it, but 20 minutes sounds about right.
It runs without the key in the ignition. Just push the "REST" button and you will hear a small electric motor running somewhere under the hood (sorry, but I don't open the hood of my Cayenne so I can't tell you where it is...then again, I don't wash my Cayenne, add oil to my Cayenne...never mind).
The system just recirculates hot coolant thru your heater core and runs a small blower fan in the cabin. Works rather well, but as you mentioned, the engine needs to have hot coolant for it to work and the timer does save the battery.

I'd suggest the option of adding 7VL to your car, but I'm sure it would cost millions of dollars and hundreds of lives, based on the VIN specific wiring harness and post production option design of the Cayenne..............

Wealth of knowledge......you're funny.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:28 PM
catalin
AutoX

my friend has the factory heater it is good but in hard winters car is not warm inside after 30 mins. after one hour is OK. anyway he installed viper engine start for summer to have car cool inside. He intalled at a local shop even viper rep told him that cayenne can not have such a feature aftermarket because has CAN comunications. Anyway local shop installed viper engine start and he is very very happy.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:57 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why not install a 110 ac block heater like MB diesels used to and likely still do have. The thing won't be running when you get in it but it will feel like it. I have them in my boat diesels and they keep the coolant at 100 degrees. You can get them with timers and thermostats.
I've use the rest function several times and it does a great job. I don't think it's regulated at all because the car gets warmer than while it was running. I don't have any idea how long it stays warm but my wife is out of the shopping center before it's cold. That should be long enough for most.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:19 PM
johnsamonas
Instructor

I have the factory parking heater option. It generates heat even when the car is cold in the mornings,and the remote control has a 500metre range so i can switch it on from my bed !!

It runs for half an hour,with most of the heat being generated directed through the windscreen vents
Old 12-21-2005, 02:08 PM
bigdog
Advanced

so there is no way to put a remote start on my pepper ,,,,that sucks ,, when its 20 degrees outside ,,

Quick Reply: Remote start?