Sponsored by:

Christmas Vacation Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:28 PM
356driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
... and clear coat doesn't really belong on a wheel anyways.
Hmmm...not a bad idea. I like the idea of brushed aluminum wheels that match the self-ejecting body trim.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 356driver
Hmmm...not a bad idea. I like the idea of brushed aluminum wheels that match the self-ejecting body trim.
Yes, it would be a nice match to the A506 cowboy beltbuckles in the rear seats.
BTW, the body trim is not the only thing that is self ejecting....the rear hatch microswitch has been trying this for 4 TSB's now.

OK, your serve.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:54 PM
JGriff
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, it would be a nice match to the A506 cowboy beltbuckles in the rear seats.
BTW, the body trim is not the only thing that is self ejecting....the rear hatch microswitch has been trying this for 4 TSB's now.
I'm happy to report... my '05 must have cleared the VIN sequence for the seat belt recall... I spoke with my service advisor (after they called me about coming in for two quality campaigns... a new microswitch and recoding for the remote etc.) and he said that my does not need the new seat belt doohickies. Phew... what a relief!!

So... with the new microswitch... has the problem been solved with the new part? I haven't had any problems with mine so far. I'm hoping that they don't replace it with a defective one!!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JGriff
So... with the new microswitch... has the problem been solved with the new part? I haven't had any problems with mine so far. I'm hoping that they don't replace it with a defective one!!
You will be getting the same microswitch that is currently in the car; same part number, same revision, same design.
Yes, your service and parts managers know this, no, you can't say "but it's working just fine....please don't touch it", as it is not their decision, it's PCNA's.
And no, you can't keep your currently working microswitch as a backup or a keepsake....it goes back to PCNA, as it's their property.
(and you probably thought that you owned your Cayenne....not while it's still under warranty....it's PCNA's)
Old 01-08-2006, 06:16 PM
JGriff
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
You will be getting the same microswitch that is currently in the car; same part number, same revision, same design.
Yes, your service and parts managers know this, no, you can't say "but it's working just fine....please don't touch it", as it is not their decision, it's PCNA's.
And no, you can't keep your currently working microswitch as a backup or a keepsake....it goes back to PCNA, as it's their property.
(and you probably thought that you owned your Cayenne....not while it's still under warranty....it's PCNA's)
Wow... that's insane. You would think that they would replace it only after it started giving me a problem, especially since it is the same part etc..

Did they source them from a different vendor, or have a new and improved version assembled, but just keep the part number the same (so as to avoid confusion)?
Old 01-08-2006, 08:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Wow... that's insane
Yes, it is.

You would think that they would replace it only after it started giving me a problem, especially since it is the same part etc.
I have learned NOT to try and think like PCNA.

Did they source them from a different vendor, or have a new and improved version assembled, but just keep the part number the same (so as to avoid confusion)?
Same part, same vendor, same box.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:37 AM
johnsamonas
Instructor

What a great road trip !! I myself also had my customary christmas vacation road trip. I have done the exact same route in a ML, a X5(twice) and a Touareg.

I left London at 11.am, loaded with 3large suitcases, a large cage with 2 dogs, a wife , two HUGE bags of christmas gifts,various smaller bags (*my wife's shoes apparently), my xbox 360, 2 large bags of dog food.With the seats forward there was barely any room left.

We drove to Folkestone (1hr 15 mins. Normally 1hr 45mins) and then took the channel tunnel to france(30mins). Once we got to France I let my wife drive for the first 4 hours. I sat next to her,watching seinfeld DVDs and satellite TV !! I rarely get to experience being a passenger in my Cayenne,so this was a most pleasurable and relaxing experience.
She loved driving it...it was actually her first time. I looked over at one point and she was doing 130mph,and she didnt even realise!!

Anway,once the sun set I took over for the night shift........roads were quite empty and i was able to maintain a 110mph average for many hours. The beauty of the CTT is that the in gear acceleration is so good, that you can drop to 70mph then accelerate back to 120mph in a few seconds!! This is ideal for motorway driving on European 2 lane motorways,when people constantly pull out to overtake trucks,and force you to slow down.

Anyway, by 11pm we had crossed the swiss border,one hour ahead of schedule (based on previous years experience in other cars) and by 12.30am we were at home. The drive from calais(france) to our home in switzerland usually takes 8 hours, we did it in 7, and we had to stop 3 TIMES for gas.
It is a 600 mile trip, and every othercar i have done it in has used just 2 tanks, but the cayenne needed 3 tanks of gas to make it,yet still we were an hour ahead!!

What an amazing vehicle.My favourite gadget of the season was my parking heater. We would be having dinner at a Refuge,high up in the alps,in the middle of a snowstorm.When the dessert arrives,I would activate my parking heater by remote control.It would run for half an hour.When we got back to the car it was very nice and hot inside,just what you need after walking up a 200m slope in - 20 degrees !!

Another downside was that i had to fill up with oil twice!! (one litre each time) which,fortunately, I had brought with me.Probably all the high speed driving.

In conclusion I would say that this car is the best I have driven on this route. Fast as a super saloon and just as confortable.....with the space of an estate car, and the off roading capability of a top 4X4.
It is everything you want it to be..........and more (unless you want it to be dead!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE SHARE YOUR ROAD TRIP EXPERIENCES.............
Old 01-12-2006, 11:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by johnsamonas
PLEASE SHARE YOUR ROAD TRIP EXPERIENCES.............
Sorry, but I don't really have any road trip experiences to share.

LOTS of 'road trips' to and from my dealer.
LOTS of 'road trips' towing the Cup car (or my son's kart) to the track in the early morning with no vehicle lighting.

I guess I'm missing out on the true 'Cayenne experience'.....I feel so empty.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 AM
johnsamonas
Instructor

what about the 'road trips' to and from the hospital ?? They should design a padded cayenne interior with meds dispenser, just for you......then perhaps it might dull some of the pain you feel when you get into your cayenne !!!

Quick Reply: Christmas Vacation Road Trip