Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD/DVD NAV Form Letter to PCNA HQ on authorizing NavTeq to update.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Grssypond
I'm having swine issues.. however...I will be happy to acknowledge LTC as the original 'PIG'.....I mean PIG originator.
Either one is fine.....plenty of 'PIG' to go around
Old 07-02-2006, 09:29 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Attention Mr Moderator: I believe it's time to stick a fork in this post.....it's done.
Not so fast. Hell HAS FROZEN OVER. It only took FOUR FREAKING MONTHS... BUT --- a response from Ms. Janice P. Howard at PCNA regarding the PCM2.0 Navigation Unit arrived Saturday July 1, 2006. She starts the letter saying: "We regret the delay in our response to you." What an understatement --- I will scan and post the letter for all to see.

She says the latest update is Q404 and to consult the NavTeq website. NavTeq has 2004.1 available but no Q404 designation on their website. Regardless, the info as we all know is from 2004.

Here's the interesting part, she "explains" to me that "it has always been a policy of Porsche to continuously improve its products...... unfortunately, the development of computer software and hardware often evolves even more quickly than automotive products. At this time we regret we do not have any more information regarding this matter."

What non-sensical dolt speech is this. The letter was dated 6/23. NavTeq stills says all they have to do is agree to allow the update and they'll be happy to do it... Recommendations for a response?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
... Recommendations for a response?
You could always mention my name, say something like.....

Don't make me get Lewis/Larry involved now
or
That's not what Lewis/Larry said
or
Please tell Peter that Lewis/Larry are here to see him

MadFox, dear friend, the truth is that once you refuse to upgrade to a new model, you are all but forgotten.....trust me.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Zin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if one simply purchased a new PCM from the dealer, MY 2007? Would they get all the new goodies? DVD Nav with current map info, Integrated cell phone, etc...
What would that cost in Porsche $$ if one was so inclined to do so?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:30 AM
356driver
Racer

Here is a scanned copy of my letter...
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2006, 08:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Zin
What if one simply purchased a new PCM from the dealer, MY 2007? Would they get all the new goodies? DVD Nav with current map info, Integrated cell phone, etc...
I would imagine that it would only p!ss people off if I were to mention that there is no technical reason why you can not upgrade from a CD based PCM to a DVD based PCM....other than the fact that PAG 'specified' that the 2 units, which are functionally identical, be incompatible by design (re: S/W).....so I'll just skip it, forget I said anything.

Originally Posted by Zin
What would that cost in Porsche $$ if one was so inclined to do so?
The standard Tequipment option/upgrade to go from CDR23 to PCM is anywhere from $4000 to $6000, depending on dealer.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:25 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

YOu mean they will actually build new highways, and add or close gas stations, restaurants, etc after 2004? Amazing... I bet Porsche doesn't realize this....
Old 07-03-2006, 11:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW skl, love the new avatar.

PAG/PCNA does realize that things change...they simply have devised a plan to 'encourage' you to trade in/upgrade; thus keeping new vehicle production #'s up and providing PCNA with an ample supply of 'low entry cost' used and CPO vehicles.

Very calcuating this new PAG.

OT, when I went to pick up my (wife's) 968 Cab, it was the end of the month, LOTS of new people picking up their new Porsches.
Not a single one could actually identify the 968 as a Porsche. This is the new demographic: badge buying owners.
Let me see....I can spend $45K on an Expedition/Explorer/Yukon/Denali......fill in the blank.....OR I can own a Porsche.
Repeat the same sentence for the Boxster, just against different cars.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:08 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default remembering why we started out here<G>

i got a letter from porsche saying that there was a new upgrade for the dvd dated the end of 2005. will check on it when i get back. by the same token, it references the exact same section of the manual listed above. the tone of the letter was so poor that i had to read it twice to make sure they were telling me that there WAS an upgrade.

i am thinking about using the above letter as the front page to my parked website cayenne-s.com. i don't know what porsche is thinking, perhaps they are going for the demographic of "car owners who want to have status without having good service". all lexus has to do is come out with a competitive vehicle in the 6000lb gvw range and the cayenne will be a little known footnote (think 928).

in a simular vein, i had to take a trip this weekend on biz, and decided i didn't want to burn an additional 2500 miles across the cayenne this weekend, so i took the tundra. i also bought a lowrance Imap500 for nav. i find it hilarious that a 500 dollar stick on nav blows porsche's 4500 buck version out of the water. i would be pissed at the relative capabilities of the two units if i had paid anthing for the porsche nav (my wife's negotiation techniques resemble those of Gen U.S. Grant (ole Unconditional Surrender), i think the salesman and sales manager that sold me the car are still in therapy).

DT
Old 07-03-2006, 07:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by droptop
i don't know what porsche is thinking
I believe I have told you all exactly what PAG is thinking......I don't write the news, I just report it.

perhaps they are going for the demographic of "car owners who want to have status without having good service".
BINGO !!!

all lexus has to do is come out with a competitive vehicle in the 6000lb gvw range and the cayenne will be a little known footnote (think 928).
DO NOT COMPARE the Cayenne with the 928 (or the 968 for that matter).

BTW, if you read back to the beginning of this thread, I believe I was correct in telling everyone what PAG/PCNA's reaction was going to be, knowing the whole time I was correct....I just had to wait for the shock to wear off and everyone else to accept reality....happens a lot with the Cayenne and the new PAG. A bit depressing.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

UMMppphhh.....back to the top you go.

No letter since the 'you'll be hearing more from us' initial f/u.

Very disheartening.....I noted that the updated PCM2.1 has my home now......but I'll never find my way home with my current cd. Glad I'm old enough to get to and from home without the fancy technology. What will the youngsters do??
Old 07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hey, who dug up this thread?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Lewis, you still carry some weight around here don't you????? I'm impressed!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
Lewis, you still carry some weight around here don't you????? I'm impressed!
No, not really.
Just like to keep people on their toes and keep things 'lively'.

Mr Mudman2 is the one with the weight around here. With a single mouse click, I could be banished from rennlist forever........alright everyone settle down, don't get excited, I'm not dead yet.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:57 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Hey, who dug up this thread?
Glad somebody did. I was going to after I write my "registered letter" and post it -- think I have an angle to get their attention.

Quick Reply: CD/DVD NAV Form Letter to PCNA HQ on authorizing NavTeq to update.