Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD/DVD NAV Form Letter to PCNA HQ on authorizing NavTeq to update.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 11:19 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

I'm sure the updates will come with the next "new" road assistance card...
Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
I'm sure the updates will come with the next "new" road assistance card...
I think the "new" road assistance card WAS PCNA's idea of updated navigational assistance
Old 06-23-2006, 03:17 PM
356driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a return letter from PCNA that stated in no uncertain terms they will not be issuing an update to the nav CD's. They also stated there is no upgrade path from a PCM 2.0 unit (CD-based) to PCM 2.1 unit (DVD-based).

This is disappointing but not surprising.

I'll post a scan of the letter when I get a chance. It contains a very defensive reference to the owners manual stating no obligation to provide continued support for any technology. The overall tone is very unapologetic and clumsy - a sad example of PCNA customer relations.

PCNA's decision to freeze the nav database at 2003/2004 is, in a word, stupid. It demonstrates a lack of understanding of embedded computers in general and automotive infotainment systems in particular. Having some level of technical experience in this field, I seriously challenge PCNA's competence in this arena. We should all be concerned about Porsche's ability to keep up with evolution of the automotive world even over the next ten years.

Personally, this will not ruin my Cayenne experience. As the PCM system grows more and more out of date, it will amount to an annoyance. Overall the Cayenne is a great car and I will continue to enjoy it. In other words, it is what it is.

As far as purchasing my next Porsche, that's a different story. PCNA no longer gets my business. I will be very wary of any of the newer Porsches that are loaded with electronics. I'll stick with the classic models (993 and older) that are built on Porsche's core competencies - great engines, transmissions and suspensions. That's where the fun is in a Porsche.

Lewis - at this point you must be nodding your head and grinning ear to ear. You have taken some undeserved heat recently and I suggest members of this forum avoid dismissing your outspoken opinions. Based on my small experience, I can only imagine your frustration in dealing with PCNA on an entire laundry list of more serious issues. (Bigger nods and grins, I'm sure.)

I am sorry to report that I have now experienced a tiny fraction of PCNA's arrogance and have earned the right to use this emoticon (first time ever on the forum):

Last edited by 356driver; 06-23-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 356driver
I got a return letter from PCNA that stated in no uncertain terms they will not be issuing an update to the nav CD's.
I thought I said that at the beginning of this thread.....something about when hell freezes over. I told people what the outcome was going to be, but some folks find it hard to listen when their head is buried in the PAG beach sand....although as a side effect, they do learn how to breathe out of their butts (present company excluded)

They also stated there is no upgrade path from a PCM 2.0 unit (CD-based) to PCM 2.1 unit (DVD-based).
There is, they are simply not chosing to offer it.

This is disappointing but not surprising.
Agreed.

I'll post a scan of the letter when I get a chance. It contains a very defensive reference to the owners manual stating no obligation to provide continued support for any technology. The overall tone is very unapologetic and clumsy - a sad example of PCNA customer relations.
You should see their legal correspondences.......

PCNA's decision to freeze the nav database at 2003/2004 is, in a word, stupid. It demonstrates a lack of understanding of embedded computers in general and automotive infotainment systems in particular. Having some level of technical experience in this field, I seriously challenge PCNA's competence in this arena. We should all be concerned about Porsche's ability to keep up with evolution of the automotive world even over the next ten years.
As "Mr Anonymous" has said many times, PAG Marketing has determined that US customers will STILL buy the vehicle, no matter how bad the support/upgrades/technology......I've been in the room (not as an owner) during these talks.

As far as purchasing my next Porsche, that's a different story. PCNA no longer gets my business. I will be very wary of any of the newer Porsches that are loaded with electronics. I'll stick with the classic models (993 and older) that are built on Porsche's core competencies - great engines, transmissions and suspensions. That's where the fun is in a Porsche.
DITTO. No Carrera GT, No Panamera.....I doubt I will ever cast a shadow in a Porsche showroom again....although the 997 GT3RS had me hesitate for a moment.
BTW, PAG Marketing doesn't care about "old" customers, they are targeting an entirely new demographic.....also keep in mind, most PAG marketing execs weren't around in the 'old' days of air cooled Porsches and wouldn't know a 928, 914 or 356 if it drove over them.

Lewis - at this point you must be nodding your head and grinning ear to ear.
I would be if it weren't for the long term effects of the medications.

You have taken some undeserved heat recently and I suggest members of this forum avoid dismissing your outspoken opinions.
They can do whatever they chose to......I still reserve the right to reply with "Bite Me", of course they won't hear me, due to the aforementioned 'head in the sand' reflex, or they're added me to their 'ignore' list.

Based on my small experience, I can only imagine your frustration in dealing with PCNA on an entire laundry list of more serious issues. (Bigger nods and grins, I'm sure.)
It's hard being personally and professionally involved, especially since I've dreamed of Porsche ownership since I was a child.....and now I'm an adult who acts like a child.

I am sorry to report that I have now experienced a tiny fraction of PCNA's arrogance and have earned the right to use this emoticon (first time ever on the forum):
Time for some Purplesaurus Rex Kool-Aid.

P.S. Yes, this post is going up on the wall......it's a keeper.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Attention Mr Moderator:

I believe it's time to stick a fork in this post.....it's done.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:31 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Great news as mine is one of the last CD based units...oh well... about half way through your post all I could think of was Lewis! Management needs a few to come over from Lexus for customer service- as if that would ever happen!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burn PCNA BURN!

PCNA isn't only going down hill quickly in customer relations but some dealers have this attitude as well. I have seen at least two dealers in my are go from good to unacceptable within the last couple months.

Back on subject and sorry to ask as I just scout around here quickly, will anyone else be making CD NAV updates for our Cayennes ?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Vino
Back on subject and sorry to ask as I just scout around here quickly, will anyone else be making CD NAV updates for our Cayennes ?
No.
And even if you did, you would have to pay licensing/royalty fees to PAG/PCNA.
NAVTEQ has all the required data and can put it into PAG OEM format....they've simply been told not to.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

I got a return letter from PCNA that stated in no uncertain terms they will not be issuing an update to the nav CD's. They also stated there is no upgrade path from a PCM 2.0 unit (CD-based) to PCM 2.1 unit (DVD-based). This is disappointing but not surprising.
Well at least you got a letter. I never got anything after the we'll respond further in 15 days letter --- What a bunch of crap.. an update for the CD is so simple.. it really does whoops better not swear???
I'll post a scan of the letter when I get a chance. .... unapologetic and clumsy - a sad example of PCNA customer relations.
Please do -- as I'd like to send it with a follow-up letter saying why wasn't I given the courtesy and that I had been considering a 997 cab. but based on lack of commitment to older cars will probably buy something else?!
PCNA's decision to freeze the nav database at 2003/2004 is, in a word, stupid. .
AMEN.
We should all be concerned about Porsche's ability to keep up with evolution of the automotive world even over the next ten years.
AMEN..
As far as purchasing my next Porsche, that's a different story. PCNA no longer gets my business. I will be very wary of any of the newer Porsches that are loaded with electronics. I'll stick with the classic models (993 and older) that are built on Porsche's core competencies - great engines, transmissions and suspensions. That's where the fun is in a Porsche..
AMEN.. I was contemplating a 997 cab. at $100K --- to not have them support a car's maps, electrics, etc. when one would look at keeping a 997 car for a long time.. to me it is starting to look like that it would NOT be a good investment to later be frustrated by it.. sadly unlike PAG, MB/Lexus/BMW appear to understand that....... as a Beta tester of the Cay, it may not lead to more sales as they had hoped...
Join us in the pool and drink the Kool-aid.. love my CayS hate my CayS love it/hate it.. hmmm, is another Porsche in my future like I thought it would be??? it appears more likely that it won't.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

Default Oh the depression

I started thinking of adding a Boxster to my collection after an enjoyable week with the CTT in the shop. The loaner was a blast....and I fit in it comfortably at 6'4". Prior to the CTT I had never considered a Porsche because I couldn't fit comfortably.

Now, I'll ride out the CTT for another 6-12 months (I'm @36k miles). I'll be looking elsewhere.

I know its been said, but WHY?????WHY NO UPDATES???? It would seem to be such a simple exercise. Did they make the software too sophisticated to update map data. As Lewis points out, "NAVTEQ has all the required data and can put it into PAG OEM format..................they've simply been told not to"......Now that is just cruel. Did they think i would update to an '07 CTT just to get the better map data???? OH wait.....there are no '07 Cayennes.....PAG/PCNA is just throwing some lipstick on the pig. As much as I have loved my CTT.....it is now a pig.

I'll take that drink now

Well nothing more can be said....
Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grssypond
Now, I'll ride out the CTT for another 6-12 months (I'm @36k miles). I'll be looking elsewhere. PAG/PCNA is just throwing some lipstick on the pig. As much as I have loved my CTT.....it is now a pig. I'll take that drink now Well nothing more can be said....
WELL SAID.... PETER or PCNA or some dealers out there.. how about forwarding this thread to your regional rep or PCNA.. it will be a shame to see PAG go from nearly bankrupt to high-flyer to back in the toilet again because they FORGOT about LISTENING to the CUSTOMER!!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
WELL SAID.... PETER or PCNA or some dealers out there.. how about forwarding this thread to your regional rep or PCNA.. it will be a shame to see PAG go from nearly bankrupt to high-flyer to back in the toilet again because they FORGOT about LISTENING to the CUSTOMER!!
I'd love to forward it, since I have all the addresses, but there's something about 'restraining order' preventing me from having further contact wtih PCNA regarding Cayennes......the details are a bit fuzzy......I must have done something to REALLY upset them......but even if I remembered what it was, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed to talk about it.......oh, never mind then.

Welcome back MadFox, me and Larry missed you.

And BTW, forget the 997Cab, THIS is what you really want for a cab:
http://www.astonmartin.co.uk/ENG/thecars/db9/db9volante
(although personally I'm in love with the coupe)
Old 06-28-2006, 01:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

.......Did they think i would update to an '07 CTT just to get the better map data????
YES!

.OH wait.....there are no '07 Cayennes.....PAG/PCNA is just throwing some lipstick on the pig. As much as I have loved my CTT.....it is now a pig.
I would like to take this opportunity to point out to the assembled crowd that I believe I was the first to use the term 'pig' when referring to the Cayenne.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Welcome back MadFox, me and Larry missed you. And BTW, forget the 997Cab, THIS is what you really want for a cab:
http://www.astonmartin.co.uk/ENG/thecars/db9/db9volante
(although personally I'm in love with the coupe)
Larry, I saw this beautiful car in the Gatwick airport. They were having a lottery for three cars that 3 lucky persons were going to win: either the Volante, a Cayman, or a SLK350. Larry and PETER, I'm going to think about alternatives to the 997! For now, it is time to take the "pig" into the shop for service.. which will be disappointing to my sales guy when I get it serviced and don't TRADE it.

Europe is great.. but after well over 2 weeks, it does feel good to be home in the good old USA.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

I'm having swine issues.. however...I will be happy to acknowledge LTC as the original 'PIG'.....I mean PIG originator.

Quick Reply: CD/DVD NAV Form Letter to PCNA HQ on authorizing NavTeq to update.