Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the CTT S the worst Porsche buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Is the CTT S the worst Porsche buy?

I ran into a guy the other day in a CTT S. He loved it but all I could think about was the first or second year depreciation. With a $120K sticker, is this possibly the worst buy for a P-car. I know lots of people will say "I never buy a car for its resale value". I do. Everything I but I eventually sell. Sometimes after just a few months. I just get bored.

I bought my CTT with a $102K sticker and $10K in extras for $72,500 with only 9000 miles and it was a current model year. That is some horrible depreciation but perfect for me who would never consider buying one brand new. Sold a set of $6K wheels to a fellow Rennlister for a good price that lowered my cost basis even more. I cannot imagine the depriation of a CTT S that few people even know exist.

Are these things going to hold their value or will they be resale killers like a brand new CTT.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Totally agree with you on this one. That is the reason I leased my current pepper. Just wanted to see if we rally wanted this SUV first and then when the lease is up we will pounce on a substantially depreciated CTT with CPO. Smartest way to buy IMHO.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A Cayenne TT/TTS will likely depreciate much quicker than other $$ equivalent Porsches (996TT, GT3) simply due to the volume of overproduction of Cayennes, coupled with their high repair rates/repair costs/reliability records.

There simply is nothing desireable/exclusive/timeless in a Cayenne TTS, or any other Cayenne for that matter. They are simply commodity SUV's with a Porsche crest...intentionally designed to perform a necessary function in the marketing/business plan for PAG.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
A Cayenne TT/TTS will likely depreciate much quicker than other $$ equivalent Porsches (996TT, GT3) simply due to the volume of overproduction of Cayennes, coupled with their high repair rates/repair costs/reliability records.

There simply is nothing desireable/exclusive/timeless in a Cayenne TTS, or any other Cayenne for that matter. They are simply commodity SUV's with a Porsche crest...intentionally designed to perform a necessary function in the marketing/business plan for PAG.
Much agreement here. See this related link: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/265498-invasion-of-the-cayennes.html
Old 04-09-2006, 09:46 PM
alcantara
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed...the allure of Porsche has always been its racing heritage and outstanding sports cars. This is why the Cayenne seems a bit out of place in the line up. Cars in general are depreciating assets. But...if you can only lose some money instead of ALOT of money hey...go for it right?

I think Cayenne's in general won't hold value as well as other Porsches, because let's face it...not many people think of Porsche when shopping for an SUV. Most of us bought the Cayenne because of a necessity for an SUV but a desire for a feel only Porsche can deliver, or quite simply, we were Porsche fans from the beginning.

I agree with the above. Lease a CTTS. Or buy a CPO CTTS in a few months. It may not have the allure of the GT2's, Carreras, or GT3's, but quite honestly, there is no other SUV out there that's as alluring as this one.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:06 PM
JoJocayenneturbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything so far, I was not able to afford the 120K for a CTTS, so we bought a 2004 CTT. I plan on doing mod changes to make it perform like a CTTS. The cost will be much less. My wife wanted a fun, Luxury car. I wanted something I can take to the track thats fast! We have 5 kids. So my first Porsche is a SUV. This was the only SUV/Car that meets our needs. Because we still have to pick up and drop off games, school. I've been very happy and so has my wallet.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

It's nice to see other members of this forum thinking the way I do. I think $70K for a CTT is a lot of vehicle for the $$. $120K for a CTT S ????
I wish I had that kind of $$ to throw away.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fail to see the point in trying to attacth "value" to any Porsche product. There are similarly performing vehicles in each catagory that undercut Porsches pricing everytime. I think the CTT and CTT-S behave like most low six figure vehicles, they drop like a stone when two year leases expire and everybody moves to the next newest toy out there. The depreciation reminds me of the hit I took on an S600 once I would agree that buying slightly experienced high end cars is the way to go. They are a good relative value then if not a real bargain.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I guess it is all how you look at it. I personally would not buy any car that someone may have abused for 9k miles in the same model year. Warrantee or not you don't know what problems you may have inherited.

My 04 listed for $97k I picked it up new as a ‘04 leftover for $84k. The turbo S has many options added including the big brakes and other upgrades that would cost you almost as much as the asking price if you add them to a CT.

I was thinking of trading my ‘04 with 12k miles on it in for a CTS and they offered me $76k trade in against a $114k sticker CTS. 8K to drive a $100k car for 1.5 years is not bad depreciation in my book. Based on this I believe the Cayenne Turbo is holding its value possibly better than the poor saps that bought 996TT's or even worse, any 996 other than possibly a C4S. Even the GT2's and GT3's are taking a painful hit.

My cousin took nearly a $40k hit on his one year old 996TT he just sold with only 4500 miles on it.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=cobalt]I guess it is all how you look at it. I personally would not buy any car that someone may have abused for 9k miles in the same model year. Warrantee or not you don't know what problems you may have inherited.

By that logic you just ruled out every used car on the road. I would rather have someones "abused" car with a warranty than a $35K hit on depreciation in one year. My 04 CTT was gone after 6K miles and I am on the the next.

My point was not problems but depreciation. I sold it for what I had into it and drove it for 6K miles. Thoses were "free" miles for me. The previous owner drove it for 9K miles and it cost him $35K. I never considered the fact that he might "abuse" the car. We all have our worries.

Your 3.6 will essentially give you "free" miles except for maintenance unless you course you have a major problem. Your CTT will cost you $$ when you sell it. That is my point.

I really don't believe Porsches can be abused unless they are not maintained - only driven. Some hard some not. The day I or a previous owner cannot drive a Porsche hard is the day I find a new car company.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

[QUOTE=Truble10]
Originally Posted by cobalt
I guess it is all how you look at it. I personally would not buy any car that someone may have abused for 9k miles in the same model year. Warrantee or not you don't know what problems you may have inherited.

By that logic you just ruled out every used car on the road. I would rather have someones "abused" car with a warranty than a $35K hit on depreciation in one year. My 04 CTT was gone after 6K miles and I am on the the next.

My point was not problems but depreciation. I sold it for what I had into it and drove it for 6K miles. Thoses were "free" miles for me. The previous owner drove it for 9K miles and it cost him $35K. I never considered the fact that he might "abuse" the car. We all have our worries.

Your 3.6 will essentially give you "free" miles except for maintenance unless you course you have a major problem. Your CTT will cost you $$ when you sell it. That is my point.

I really don't believe Porsches can be abused unless they are not maintained - only driven. Some hard some not. The day I or a previous owner cannot drive a Porsche hard is the day I find a new car company.
I guess the first comment came off a little harsh.

I used to take the same approach as you until my last used car purchase, a 2001 740Il BMW. This car was low mileage and had been certified by BMW with warrantee and when all was said and done I almost had to go to court over it. After 7 new windshields and other issues, I finally got most of my money out of it after 2 years. When I bought the car it was practically new. There was nothing BMW could do to fix this car. I ended up buying the CT with the money from the BMW.

The scary part is that this car was worth over $70k new in 2001, I purchased it used in 2002 for $44k and in 2004 only 3 years later it had a value of about $16k even without the issues. Talk about depreciation.

As I said I could trade my almost 2 year old CT in for a new CTS with a loss of about 8%. I don't think that is that bad and in another 2 years when I go to sell it with 25k miles on it I expect I should get in the neighborhood of $56k which is not unrealistic. This is much better than any MB or BMW I know of.

The 3.6 is an entirely different issue. I researched the car in full detail and the car was babied all its life. Currently, I can sell my 3.6 for everything I have into it and possibly more. That includes taxes and maintenance. The GTS should hold its value over the next several years also. At that, these cars are holding at 30-40% depreciation over the past 13 years and that number appears to be decreasing. You will not find a car today other than possibly an ENZO purchased at MSRP that will match those depreciation numbers. IMO there is not a car made today that will ever come close to what we see happening with cars like the 94 turbo and especially nothing like we see with the 73 RS's
Old 04-11-2006, 03:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

....than the poor saps that bought 996TT's or even worse, any 996 other than possibly a C4S..
Yes, but I'm a happy "poor sap".

My cousin took nearly a $40k hit on his one year old 996TT he just sold with only 4500 miles on it.
I've got 5000 miles on mine, 01 MSRP was $130K. Depreciation means nothing when you have no intentions of selling I suppose.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=cobalt][QUOTE=Truble10]
If you got an offer of $76K for your 04 CTT I would take it because it is not worth anything near that in the retail market.
But you will take it in the shorts on the other end of the deal. I agree with ITC that if you never intend to sell resale should not matter but I've never owned anything I NEVER indend to sell.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Truble10
..... I agree with ITC that if you never intend to sell resale should not matter but I've never owned anything I NEVER indend to sell.
Agree with me?!
Here, in the Cayenne forum?
They'll burn you at the stake for something like this
Old 04-11-2006, 08:50 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Truble10 for the money you definately have it right!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Is the CTT S the worst Porsche buy?