Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive fast in your Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:06 AM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Do you drive fast in your Cayenne?

I'm starting to feel like the old men I used to make fun of who would drive around at 10mph under the speed limit in the right lane on the freeway in their Corvettes.

With the sale of the Boxster, I'm not speeding like I used to, am following other cars in traffic, and just basically following the rules of the road.

On Sunday, I was taking my brother to the airport and given all the testosterone in the car, I opened up the Cayenne and cruised for a while between 125 and 135. It was quite exhilirating (and as I'm sure others flaming me will point out, dangerous ).

So my question is, is there any point in owning a fast SUV? Is anyone driving them fast on the street or tracking them, or are our beloved Cayennes just rolling icons of conspicuous consumption?

I know it sounds like a dumb question but I really am curious.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:18 AM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine because it feels like a tank, safe, quiet and comfortable. PLUS it's fun to drive fast and corners like a sports car. But to be honest, I don't drive fast very often, in 4 months owning I think max speed reached so far is about 87mph. Don't laugh, I live near L.A. and there's not much traffic-free space!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:38 AM
356driver
Racer

Well I must be getting old.

The kid in the rice rocket passes me at 90 because I'm only doing 80. Suddenly a warmth washes over me. I know I'm cruising at less than half of top speed. In a glorious rush of gleeful road rage I could step on the gas and crush that worthless Japanese tuna can on wheels, leaving 10" tire tracks across what used to be its roof.

But I won't cause I'm too old for that. Does that answer your question?
Old 04-11-2006, 03:32 AM
JoJocayenneturbo
Intermediate

I bought my 04 CTT to go fast and have fun, I've owned it for about 3 weeks and so far I've gone very fast. G-tech runs and a couple of races. Same as 356driver,"smoked an Import Rice Rocket", and beat up on a Hemi Magnum Wagon. I love this SUV and I drive it fast!!! Things my change as I get older, I'm only 34.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Chriz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my CS a couple of time at 130 and once slightly over 140mph the other day. I had to slow down because of traffic. Also its said that the engine unfolds its full power after the first 6000 - 10000 miles and my has only 2200 miles on it.

Being used to drive fast with fast cars i can tell you that the pepper handles very well at high speeds. Its performance is incredible. You wont notice that this is a heavy truck.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:41 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

When I drive, I always obey the laws of physics.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:25 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cayenne or not, I always drive fast. CS just makes it much more fun :-).
Old 04-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it like it is stolen! "Like a spanked monkey" to quote another member.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

I never drive faster than my guardian angel can fly.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't tell my wife but, I driver her Cayenne pretty fast. I have made a couple cross country trips from southern Colorado to central Minnesota and back. The first five hours is mountain driving and I haul butt in the Cayenne. Glenwood Canyon near Glenwood Springs is an evil curving temptation with virtually no good hiding spots for "the man". I was on my way home, was passed by a new Range Rover doing 90-95 on the open stretches. I passed him on the way into the canyon and demonstrated the Cayennes vastly superior cornering. The one corner has a radar sign that posts your speed and warns of the upcoming 45 mph corner. I put up a 95 I also reset the average speed on the trip computer before starting one of these journeys. My average speed usually ends up reading 72-73 mph, may best average for the trip was 77mph over 1400 miles, right from the trip computer. So yeah, I drive it pretty fast. I had a run in with a WRX STI last time too. Couldn't hang with that one, maybe if I had a TT
Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When I drive to Canada for skiing, there is a stretch of Highway 1 where I set the speed control at 80-their speed limit is 110- and listen to XM radio and it is a very enjoyable drive. When you get to the two lane road, the mega HP makes passing fun and it is just a fun drive. Have had Jeeps and Suburbans in the past and there is NO comparison. Have had trouble free 30K miles now. Just switched to the summer tires, but may have done it a weekend early. Forecast is for good snow this weekend in Central Oregon :-)
Old 04-11-2006, 12:48 PM
interalejo
Track Day

Too many speeding tickets, ugghhh!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieXS
.....and corners like a sports car. ...
5500# SUV corners like a sports car?
You have an interesting definition of a sports car.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:47 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Comparing a Cayenne to a Porsche sports car...

Sounds like an interesting idea. Of course, I can't really compare my Cayenne S to a true Porsche sports car because all I've ever owned is a base Boxster ( ) but I'll give it a try.

Top speed - materially the same.

Handling - Boxster was much more lithe - Cayenne feels like a linebacker.
Boxster allowed you to carry more speed into a turn, Cayenne feels better when you're stomping on it coming out of a turn. Transitions are much more difficult to get right in the Cayenne for me than in the Boxster.

Brakes - Cayenne is good but Boxster felt better.

Riding along in my automobile - My record is a 92mph average for 13 hours in the Boxster (went 110 most of the way.) I haven't travelled at high speed in the Cayenne but anecodtally I felt the Boxster was more settled over 100 than the Cayenne.

Durability and design - The Boxster was a very well designed and built car that was prone to a sudden and inexplicable need for total engine replacement. In that regard, the Cayenne is no Porsche sports car as I've not heard any reports of RMS failures, slipped sleeves, or intermediate shaft failures in the Cayenne. The fact that there are some reports of Cayenne transmission failures helps though, as it puts it in league with the 996 Turbos.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:49 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
5500# SUV corners like a sports car?
You have an interesting definition of a sports car.
ok... so it can't defy physics. I should have said it handles like a SPORTY CAR, not a sports car.

Quick Reply: Do you drive fast in your Cayenne?