Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you guys Audi or BMW???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:25 AM
TimC.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for you guys Audi or BMW???

I know this post is kinda off-topic, but I know most folks own second cars and for some reason I trust everyones judment especially those drinking lots of punch on the Booze Cruise here

So here is my dilema, the Cayenne Turbo is staying for now as the High Performance Family SUV , but the 2000 Boxster 39k miles is going up for sale in a couple weeks (PM if your interested) due to the fact that a "two-seater" and "baby-seater" just don't mix (Is the Panamera ready???? nope) so as a second car, we are now considering the 2006 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro manual shift VS the 2006 BMW 330xi manual shift. Each of them just enter into the $40k range as we equipped them online. No need for navigation just some of the little electronic extras/gremlins. The problem is that they are just so close in terms of engine specs and features its really hard to decide.
So any thoughts? Past experiences? Ride/Feel? Should I just flip a coin?

Thanks in advance !
Old 04-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Tough choice, I might just flip a coin myself I swore off BMW's with the advent of Bangled styling and i-drive. Fortunately the 3-series is BMW's least affected model, making it a decent choice IMO. Audi quality has always been suspect for me. I have never owned one for that reason. They do make cars with about the nicest interiors short of Bentley though.

I like the BMW for its better weight distribution and rear torque bias (similar to the Cayenne). I like the inline six configuration better than the V6, and the new grille on the Audi might just be uglier than the sharp edges on the Bangel BMW. Dealer service department might weigh in too. Good Luck
Old 04-30-2006, 01:38 PM
diplomat
Intermediate

Ive ben a bmw fan my whole life so my answer is biased. I would go 330 ina hetrbeat, for the sole reason that they are just more fun to driv ethen the audis.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:20 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Had several models of both over the years and loved them all, including a '92 325i, 5000S, 5000 quattro, E46 M3, B5 A4 avant, B6 A4, B6 S4, all manuals except the M3 which was SMG (wouldn't get that again). Living in the snowbelt quattro is mandatory and nobody does 4 wheel drive better than Audi. I've had little problems with any of the Audis, or the BMWs for that matter. I think the new 3 series is even ugly now (though the "best") and I actually love the new Audi front end... I'd go with the Audi but you can't go wrong with either one...personal choice.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:36 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it weren't for the ugly new body, I'd be driving a 5 series right now. Despite being a huge BMW fan, even their distinct feel on the road wouldn't bring me back until they do a good redesign.

So, as much as it pains me, I say go for an Audi. Unless you don't care about BMW's looks :-D
Old 04-30-2006, 04:55 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only say that I have an A6 bi-turbo with Quattro and in the winter with 3 inches of snow and it's P M&S tires it is great.

On the dry pavement it is phenominal - especially when you think you can have four people comfortabley sittnig in there...
Old 04-30-2006, 06:27 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Tim,

I never looked at any BMW's to purchase, most of my friends have one, but they dont do any skiing or snowboarding.. The audi Quattro with snow tires are unmatched in the snow, i even had the .8T before and never had problems with that one.. BMW are fun to drive but not the xi's, maby the real wheel but not the 4 wheel drives... cant match the audi's ergonomics as well... drives well handles well and it looks good,LOL The 3.2liter is very smooth and powerful, especially the one's with DSG transmission, but getting all the goodies/dsg will put you up there... like you said in the 40's..
The only other competition are volvo,g35x, is250,330ix on these level... I prefer the audi
Old 04-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Vino
Racer

I too am a huge BMW fan, owned an E36 M3 and so on. We were in the market for the new 325xi wagon or Audi A4 Avant S-line. The RWD BMW's were night and day over the Audi, power was fantastic and balanced only when pushed to the the extremes. The AWD BMW's IMO were boring as hell to drive and lose all the BMW character.
I am starting to like the German wagons more over the sedan's. They just seem more finished but the A4 IMO looks good either way.

We eventually bought an 06 Toyota 4Runner V8 Sport that sits next to the CT.

The back seats in the 3 series and A4 weren't made for a toddler seat . The problem is I am 6'1 and my kid would peg his feet against my chair and he's only 16 months old and sits in a Recaro young sport seat. If I had a second kid both the Audi and BMW lacked any decent room and to have a stroller took most of the room in the trunks.
My favorite, if I have to say the truth was the new VW Passat 4-motion with the 3.6L 280HP motor. Long story short we were not going to buy a first year car again.

Take the entire family with you and it may give you a different perception of each car, I came in loving both and left unhappy for the single reason for my boy's legroom.

The Toyota does a sweet job and I have $8k more in my pocket to have fun with something else.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TimC
So here is my dilema, the Cayenne Turbo is staying for now as the High Performance Family SUV
staying FOR NOW?!
Is there a ***** in the armor of Cayenne ownership?

Originally Posted by TimC
(Is the Panamera ready???? nope)
Right now, there are discussions internally at PAG to move the introduction date up by one year

Back to the question, I would also consider the S4/S6 Avant. A bit more room and better balanced than the sedans.
Audi ownership depends more on your local Audi dealer than the car itself; typically it's the quality of service that makes an Audi.

Electronics wise, most of a Porsche is VAG anyways, but VAG does have better integration than PAG (from experience).
With regards to interior design, hands down Audi still sets the standard for ergonomics.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:43 AM
TimC.
Racer

Thanks everyone for all the information !! Especially the feedback on the BMW AWD performance not being that good....I think Audi has had a few more years to refine the Quattro and get it right !!
When we were at the dealer they only had one stick shift tester. It was an A4 2.0 Turbo Quatto manual to test drive that day and I have to say even with my wife, and the FBI...I mean salesguy in the car that thing really did move surprisingly quick!!! He even told me to get on it if I wanted to...of course I took him up on it....All 200 lbs of torque went right to the street LOL
In terms of ergonomics...I was also very happy. I am 6'2" and I felt fine in the cockpit. I even liked how my right arm was perched on the center arm rest and my hand was right over the stick shift....made it real easy to shift. Also the short throw on the 6-speed was pretty sweet!!

alex911s,skl - I know in the Northeast Here Everyone north of CT has Audi Quattro's !!

JFScheck - Jeez How many rides do you have now??? I saw the A6 and thats one sick car that thing must move...I also saw an A8L on the lot...talk about legroom !!

Vino - Thanks for the advice !! I am going back with the car seat next time to make sure. This Audi will most likely only be in the stable for like 3 years so we shouldn't need anything bigger until then.

Brent 89-GT & EnigmaWmn - AGREED Yeah, I don't know where BMW was going with the design !!!

...and last but NOT least
ltc - Good observation...well you might as well just take full credit for putting that ***** there in my armor!!! Not only did you sell yours to prove a point to PAG by Going Green you also convinced us all on the board here that were going to be running around naked when the odometer hits 50k and the warranty runs out. LOLOLOLOL
I'm at 20k right now so maybe by then some sucker warranty company will take us all on as clients

Any other thoughts let me know !! In the meantime I am having fun reading all the pretty pictures they give you from the dealer....I will let you guys know once I make a decision!!
Old 05-01-2006, 01:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TimC.
...and last but NOT least
ltc - Good observation...!!
Last but NOT least.....I think that would look good on my tombstone. Of course I'll have to be buried in an undisclosed location...away from PCNA.

One other car to consider, the new A3 3.2 Quattro DSG S Line. I test drove one (yes, one of the days that the Cayenne was in for therapy, exorcism...I mean warranty service). Very nice little car. The DSG was very fast, smooth and the NA engine had good response/power.

Of course, the geek in me decided to go with the Escape Hybrid....still chuckle everytime I drive off with the engine not running, pretty neat.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:41 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TimC.
JFScheck - Jeez How many rides do you have now??? I saw the A6 and thats one sick car that thing must move...I also saw an A8L on the lot...talk about legroom !!
The Cayenne and Audi are our daily drivers with the Boxster and 997 for weekends. The motorsickle also is usually for weekends...

The A6 has more passenger room than the Cayenne and has pleanty of torque and when those turbos are kicking you would think there was a big ole' 8-banger in there - but stay off the throttle and the gas mileage is great. Again - in winter even with just M&S tires on it - great!

John
Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

John, gotta say that Club Coupe is the best looking 911 I've seen in a LONG time- love that colour! That should be a keeper... (of course, I always say that and end up wanting something new in a couple years...the latest is a Lotus Elise...)
Old 05-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
One other car to consider, the new A3 3.2 Quattro DSG S Line. I test drove one (yes, one of the days that the Cayenne was in for therapy, exorcism...I mean warranty service). Very nice little car. The DSG was very fast, smooth and the NA engine had good response/power.
I agree...the A3 is a very nice package and much less expensive than the A4. I wouldn't be surprised to see A3's cannibalize some A4 sales. Pay attention, though, to the earlier post about Audi quality. The DSG on the A3 I test drove got locked in 2nd gear on the way back to the dealer, then wouldn't even stay in 2nd (kept engaging then disengaging randomly) as I pulled into the service dept.

WRT your choice of A4 vs. 330xi...have you considered a RWD 330i? I know this may be heresy, but a 330i w/ sport package would IMHO prove to be much more fun to drive than a non-S4 Audi more than 90-percent of the year. Since you live in NJ, I assume you know how to drive in the white stuff already...for that 10 percent of the year this is a concern, just slap a set of snow tires on all four corners and you will be surprised how well the RWD BMW handles in the snow. When the snow is too deep to clear the rocker panels, just take the Cayenne!
Old 05-02-2006, 12:37 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
John, gotta say that Club Coupe is the best looking 911 I've seen in a LONG time- love that colour! That should be a keeper...
Thanks

It better be a keep or I'll be one dead John

Quick Reply: Question for you guys Audi or BMW???