Sponsored by:

Dealer insight: Vibration caused by COIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:28 PM
tclinton
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer insight: Vibration caused by COIL

So here's an interesting one: I dropped the CS off at the dealer this morning (well, more accurately: I returned the car to the dealer; evidently I only "borrow" it from time to time).

Today's problem is a vibration that shows up when the gear is high, the rpm's are low, and there's a bit of torque. It feels like a drive shaft is out of alignment, but there's no thump-a-dump sound that you'd expect.

Anyway, the dealer says, without hesitation: "I bet you have a broken coil."

Now, that's just odd, I'm thinking. A mechanical drive train issue does not feel like a broken coil.

BUT, he says they've encountered a fair number of Porsches where the coil has somehow broken, and some portion of the spark is grounding and not making it to the plugs. Interestingly, the engine management system doesn't register an inadequate spark, but instead, the two knock sensors kick in and try to compensate with fuel/air solutions. So, you get no dreaded "!," nor a fault code on the tester.

They're looking into it in my case -- I'll let you know if that was the issue. Meanwhile, it's an interesting tidbit to consider if you're facing a similarly elusive vibration.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:02 PM
bigdog
Advanced

i almost peede myself when i read this

"So here's an interesting one: I dropped the CS off at the dealer this morning (well, more accurately: I returned the car to the dealer; evidently I only "borrow" it from time to time)."
Old 05-05-2006, 04:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

TC,
You obviously have a good sense of humor
It should serve you well, if you are into Cayenne ownership over the long haul (i.e. until 'naked').

P.S. There is no 'somehow' when it comes to cracked coils, PAG knows exactly what the cause is.
P.S. I'm assuming that you are also not a candidate for the 'cardan shaft replacement' TSB?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
TC,
You obviously have a good sense of humor
It should serve you well, if you are into Cayenne ownership over the long haul (i.e. until 'naked').

P.S. There is no 'somehow' when it comes to cracked coils, PAG knows exactly what the cause is.
P.S. I'm assuming that you are also not a candidate for the 'cardan shaft replacement' TSB?
Carden shaft........ Jeeze I haven't heard that one in a long time... Maybe some of this stuff is seasonal - like tire threads......
Old 05-05-2006, 05:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I know, the Cardan shaft is a good way to seperate the veterans from the rookies.

It's not that far fetched, since it's possible/likely that over time, the same issue may re-emerge regarding cardan shaft degradation and subsequent vibration.

However, I'm not worried about that
Old 05-05-2006, 05:52 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cardan Shaft - I remember waiting to see if my Pepper would have that dreaded vibration issue.

BTW - new Michileins 4x4 Diamaris on the 19" rims thus replacing the stock Pirellis - smooth as silk up to 100+ (only under controlled conditions with airborne support and all the proper forms filled out)....
Old 05-05-2006, 08:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

There is some concern that the initial cause of the cardan shaft vibration/replacement COULD re-appear ..... depending on how quickly the rubber degrades.

Personally, I'm not worried about it
Old 05-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Lewis you love this sh**t, you're home free, you devil you...
Old 05-05-2006, 10:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Torags
Lewis you love this sh**t, you're home free, you devil you...
Yes, I love this **** a lot more since I no longer own one.
Home free, hybrid Escape daily driver, bride's Excursion for easy towing.......why do I want to sing the theme from the song 'Born Free'.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Torags,
BTW, I suggest not going naked; rather going Cayenne-less. There IS life after Cayenne ownership.

On a SLIGHTLY more serious note, my real intentions (apart from having 'fun'...and overdoing the meds from time to time....to time to time....) was to simply put forth information that PCNA would never do, in the hopes of educating people about the 'shortcomings' of the Cayenne and the fixes that were not exactly 'immediately forthcoming' from PAG or PCNA.

It's like a technical Robin Hood; 'stealing' from the rich (the most profitable car company on the planet....for a reason) and giving to the poor.....as in the poor miserable bastards who sometimes find themselves stuck with the Cayenne.

In the end, my work here is nearly complete.....I'm just killing time waiting for the mothership to come pick me up....and reading over design specs for the Panamera
Old 05-06-2006, 12:33 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
There is some concern that the initial cause of the cardan shaft vibration/replacement COULD re-appear ..... depending on how quickly the rubber degrades.

Personally, I'm not worried about it

Thanks Lewis Just when I thought it was safe to start singing the praises you go and smack me along side the head

Actually had a great "spirited" ride today - I really do LOVE my Cayenne
Old 05-06-2006, 09:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Thanks Lewis Just when I thought it was safe to start singing the praises you go and smack me along side the head
No smack intended, I'm just being a bit of a curmudgeon....but I did always wonder about the fix for the cardan shaft being similar to the fix for the rear window microswitch. I never really dug too deeply into the cardan shaft redesign details. I'm sure it will be OK.

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Actually had a great "spirited" ride today - I really do LOVE my Cayenne
...and I really do love my Cayenne as well

Have a nice weekend,

Quick Reply: Dealer insight: Vibration caused by COIL