Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you gotten the Air Suspension Faulty message?
Yes - Fixed
12.12%
Yes - Dealer unable to replicate (not fixed)
21.21%
No - Guess I'm lucky...
66.67%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Air Suspension Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:10 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Air Suspension Fault

Well, I picked up my new to me '04 CTT and drove it home from Atlanta last Wednesday. Everything was perfect, the truck was as advertised (better IMHO), the weather was perfect and I was cruising down I-75 with an ear to ear grin when an alarm and a yellow warning message on the display trashes the mood, "Air Suspension Faulty......". It still works and the error clears after power is cycled but still, it takes a bit of the luster off the whole "event" of buying and driving the new to me truck home. The problem only pops up after about an hour of sustained running. The truck is under warranty and I needed to take it in for the 20K service anyway so I'm not upset, just pissed.

I thought I'd put a little poll together to see how prevelent this issue is. Dealer tells me it's very common and they will probably find one of the sensors bad based on the internal code and simply replace it.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:52 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

I get the message intermittently and it goes away after turning off the ignition. Maybe I shouldn't but I just ignore it. The dealer checked the memory but didn't find anything specific wrong...
Old 05-22-2006, 10:59 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the message a couple of times and it would clear when it was restarted. But, this past winter it came on and did not go off. Took it into the dealer and a part was replaced and have had no problems for months now.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:57 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm "assuming" fixed. I have the problem now and will be taking to the dealer next week. Everything seems to work, but I do have the fault error.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:19 PM
bamaxraydoc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the fault. Compressor was replaced after many trips to the dealer: so far, so good.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how it was explained to me by the tech at the dealer. The Cayenne has a complex electrical system. If voltage drops even a little the car starts shutting down systems. The air suspension is one of the first to set a code. When mine isn't driven for a week or two it will sometimes set the code. It has only happened a couple of times and when they checked codes there was no problem.

So, it could just be that the truck was not driven enough to have the system fully charged and it triggered the code. I haven't had any function issues and the code has coincided with not driving it for a period.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brent 89-GT
This is how it was explained to me by the tech at the dealer. The Cayenne has a complex electrical system. If voltage drops even a little the car starts shutting down systems. The air suspension is one of the first to set a code. When mine isn't driven for a week or two it will sometimes set the code. It has only happened a couple of times and when they checked codes there was no problem.

So, it could just be that the truck was not driven enough to have the system fully charged and it triggered the code. I haven't had any function issues and the code has coincided with not driving it for a period.
Good to know, I'll make note.

It goes into the dealer Friday for the 20K service. The fact that it set the code means I can claim a warranty repair and get a loaner, even if they don't find anything. (I didn't buy the car from this dealer so loaners are only for warranty repairs)

I spoke to the previous owner and he said it happened once before and after it went to the dealer it never came back but then it wasn't driven for almost 2 months up until i bought it.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:36 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Well, on the 20K service there were no history fault codes BUT, last Friday I was driving in the general vicinity of the local dealer and it threw the error again. I pulled it into the dealer and left it running so the code wouldn't reset. They got a read and it identified an erroneous signal from a left front sensor (don't remember if it was an accelerometer or height sensor). They overnighted the part and will install it this afternoon.

These intermittent issues are a pain and it surprises me that the ECM doesn't store the code in history. It seems that if it's able to reset on the next power-up it clears the code. Bad program design IMHO.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mjw930 I have been one of the "lucky ones" with this issue, but I am sure that I have had some other quirks you may never encounter.

Service has ALWAYS been a pleasure (not terribly inconvenient either), albeit more frequent than I would have liked, but now that a few exorcisms have been performed the car has a free soul once again!

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Fault