Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 04:23 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 195 Posts
Default New Owner - Help me spend my $$$

Hi guys,

After much deliberation and excuse making - I have finally pulled the trigger on a new '06 Cayenne. I have done some searching whilst lurking on this forum - and realise there is a wealth of knowledge on this board too!

I know this may be a hard one to answer - but is there any specific options I NEED ? My Dealer buddy is scouring the country here for a blk/blk one - which I am kind of stuck on - but if there is something that comes with other cool options for the right $$$ I may be able to be swayed. Also - is there anything/something that i need to avoid?

I am looking forward to getting back into a real car - it will be my daily - as I havent had a 4 door car for years.....

TIA

SImon
Old 05-25-2006, 12:57 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a new Cayenne owner and went through the process you are going through recently.

In my opinion, the must haves:

Bi-Xenon headlights
PCM 2.1

If you will tow (even if the possibility is remote) you should get the trailer hitch now rather than get it installed later. Plus it can be used for a bike rack, which is what I intend to use it for mostly.

The standard 18" wheels are OK but 20" wheels are beautiful. I highly recommend it.

I don't know about ROW but here in the US they have what's called the "Preferred Package Plus" option package which included the Bi-Xenons, the PCM system, a 6-disk CD changer, the trailer hitch and a few other niceties. I decided that that was the best combination of options for me.

I thought long and hard about the air suspension and I couldn't justify the extra $$$ to myself. Sure if I had the extra $$$ I'd go for it but I was already stretching my budget as it is. The options costs adds up very quickly. I figured there was one less system that could break.

Porsche Entry and Drive would be nice but I can live without it.

Most everything else are cosmetic options.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:53 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the 19's for summer driving and think they look OK. I have the 18's for winter tires. Think the 19's would soften the ride a bit if you don't go for the air suspension. Think there are more tires available with the 19's. I have the trailer hitch for towing and bike rack. Use it most of the time for bikes! HK brings up good points on the options.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:56 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Forgot to mention, that I love the stock steering wheel that is heated when the temp drops down. Though, maybe in Sydney, that is not an issue!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:02 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Air and Xenon, in that order. PCM is technically outstanding, with a horrible user's interface.

A telephone interface is very handy.

Trailer hitch camera would be a great option, I'm sure, but then I'd be forced to seek alternative forms of exercise.

The PAL TV tuner option would work Down Under. Not for me, 200 channels and nothing to watch. Plus, I don’t want a large rewinding spool of TV cable filling my cargo area.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:57 PM
charlieXS
Pro

PASM

DUal ZOne A/C

Memory seats if you share the car

19" wheels

Xenon
Old 05-25-2006, 08:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Air
Air
Air
PCM
Electric Comfort
Lights

in that order
Old 05-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 195 Posts

Thanks for th input guys,

I thought - clearly wrong however - that all cars came spec'd the same....

In AU we dont have the V6 version - just S, TT and TTS. All '06 S models come standard with:
Air suspension
Electric Sunroof
Parktronic F&R
Bose Sound
PSM
Dual Zone AC - 4 zone is an option.
Sat Nav.

So they look pretty High spec'd as far as I can see....

I was also hoping for Servotronic steering, roll up window blinds, Xenons and 20' wheels - and was hoping that I might actiually NOT spend $$ modifying this car like the others... (unlikley)

Thanks for the advice - and hoping I can contribute in the future..

Simon
Old 05-25-2006, 09:55 PM
356driver
Racer

I enjoy the looks and handling of my 20" wheels but they are strictly for street. If you are going to do any off-road or snow driving then you should consider 18's, or pick up an extra set of wheels on eBay.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:35 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a fairly loaded S that I bought off the lot 3 years ago on 5/31. If I had to do it all over again I would have gotten PASM, rear camera, and rear a/c. The kids whine about not cooling off fast enough in the back seat.. although the main A/C is pretty darn good and I think does a good job for cooling a SUV cabin. The std. suspension is okay.. but even I (rarely) wish that I had PASM on some bumps.. and maybe I'm getting older but when I'm backing now, I tend to get hyper about backing over someone or a simultaneous back out by someone across from me in a parking lot.. my wife's MDX has the rear camera and have to admit it is pretty nifty.

Loaded for me was: NAV (despite PAG's no upgrade to CD), xenon lights (old eyes love 'um), comfort pkg., sports seats and leather, trailer hitch (see post on pulling the accord out one night).

Quick Reply: New Owner - Help me spend my $$$