Q7 first impressions vs Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:18 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts
Default Q7 first impressions vs Cayenne

I've driven Porsches for 35 years and Audis for 25 years and love them both, obviously for different reasons. Have a CS now and am thinking when it hits 50K miles on trading for a Q7, hopefully with a V10 TDI if they bring it here as I tow with the Cayenne and would love the torque of the diesel. Drove my first Q7 today and was impressed, but I definitely want the air suspension as my CS has PASM which works great for towing. I like the carpeting- reminds me of 356 carpet weave- looks very durable... like the added room in the rear seats but don't need the third row!
Love the agressive "corporate" nose, but then I love the front end on all the new Audis. The power rear hatch is nice as well. Have to admit the backup camera is nice- I didn't get park assist on the Cayenne and now admit it would be nice. That huge sunroof is interesting, as is the tilt option on the rear opening- should be great for air flow without the AC on and be pretty quiet as well
Noticed it is quieter than the Cayenne. Wonder if the mirrors are more aerodynamic...
Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO, Audi is still in a league of their own when it comes to interior design and ergonomics.
AFAIK, VAG is planning on offering the TDI in the Q7 in the second model year, the Touareg will be the 'test mule' in MY07, followed by the TDI Q7 and then, it pains me to say this, the hybrid version of the Cayenne.
They couldn't master a rear window microswitch, now they're going to play with high voltage electronics.......I'm not sure I want to be part of that.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:14 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I drove it also SKL, wifey loves it as well.. I thought i drove one with air, it was so smooth, i was looking for the loading level button in the back and the guy says oh this dont have air,LOL
Smooth , powerful, a lot of goodies and the exhaust note is great... hmmmm
I want the tdi, i'll get mine when it comes out
Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 AM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Q7 is nice and looks like its well constructed.
I had the opportunity to play with the Nav / Radio. It is very cool and high-tech compared to the Porsche system. It is very similar to the BMW system with the control **** in the console. The LCD screen is bright and crystal clear and the functions are computer-like compared to the Porsche which are radio-like. It seemed a little complicated, especially for the techno-challenged, but for people who love the techno gadgets and high-tech items, the Q7 Nav/ Radio looks sweet - along with the rest of the truck which is a great deal in price comparison to other SUV's out there.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:48 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

The wife and I drove a loaded Q7 before I bought the CTT and we were unimpressed. The Q7 feels huge in comparison to the Cayenne. Comparing it side by side with a CS we felt the Q7 was a wonderful large SUV where the CS feels like a large sport sedan. If you don't need the space (3rd row) and aren't looking at a Cayenne then the '07 Touareg gets the FSI V8 or the V10 TDI and IMHO is a more desireable truck, dollar for dollar than the Q7.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:41 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different uses. If you don't need the 3rd row seat, get the Cayenne...
Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

In about four years - will trade in the A6 for a Q7 TDI V-10. The Cayenne then can go to the wife and in four years we should be relocated to Steamboat Springs.

Oh Yea Baby!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
The wife and I drove a loaded Q7 before I bought the CTT and we were unimpressed. The Q7 feels huge in comparison to the Cayenne. Comparing it side by side with a CS we felt the Q7 was a wonderful large SUV where the CS feels like a large sport sedan. If you don't need the space (3rd row) and aren't looking at a Cayenne then the '07 Touareg gets the FSI V8 or the V10 TDI and IMHO is a more desireable truck, dollar for dollar than the Q7.

Q7 and CTT are in different level... maybe Q7 and CS... I would pick the CTT as well
Old 06-08-2006, 09:03 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alex911s
Q7 and CTT are in different level... maybe Q7 and CS... I would pick the CTT as well
I agree, that's why I said we compared it to the CS. We just decided that a used CTT was a better deal than a new CS for the same $$$$
Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Why would you buy a diesel car in the US?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SciFrog
Why would you buy a diesel car in the US?
1. MPG. Simply a more efficient engine.
2. Reliability. You have to work hard to kill a diesel engine. 100K miles and they're just getting broken in.
3. Torque. Nice if you're towing, but torque is always nice to have in a car.

If still in doubt, watch the R10 TDI.......
Old 06-09-2006, 08:16 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OK I test drove one after reading this thread as my dealer (1 mile away) has one on the demo lot.

Not my cup of tea at all, and the third row seat is a joke, right ?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
OK I test drove one after reading this thread as my dealer (1 mile away) has one on the demo lot.

Not my cup of tea at all, and the third row seat is a joke, right ?
That's kind of like what I was trying to say above in my review I don't see the Q7's taking many Cayenne sales. Touareg sales maybe and certainly some BMW sales.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:47 AM
SciFrog
Racer

It is for kids or adults not too tall. I was actually confortable in the third row.

The car drives nice, but it is not sports car like, unlike the Cayenne TT...
Old 06-10-2006, 01:29 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember that if your towing that large of a trailer the extra length of the Q7 would feel more stable down the road. IMo of SUV though is that if your really using it as a tow car and peopl hualer I would not even consider one of these cars. Nothing huals people and trailer as good as a Suburban. Sure it does not drive like a sport sedan, but thats why I have my 911 for my daily more fun drives. I think these luxury SUVs are more intended for do it all type of car, but not for some serious about hualing.

Quick Reply: Q7 first impressions vs Cayenne