Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a GOOD towing story??? I have one!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 01:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default How about a GOOD towing story??? I have one!

So I have been reading ALL the threads reagarding towing, etc, and have just got to post about my experiences.

We bought our Cayenne last September new off the lot and it was just a 3rd car for us to make trips to Costco and Lowes. I never thought for a second about towing. Then I got to thinking several months after that I wanted to tow my car to the track so the wife and I could drive together instead of one in the 911 and the other in the Pepper. As many of you know I have moved from Las Vegas to North Carolina recently (actually this past week) and thought I would comment on my experience.

I ordered a Pace Rallye 20' enclosed car carrier that has a weight of approx 3300# and the build quality is TOP NOTCH!

I towed my car and various personal effects for a total pull of approximately 7500-8000# this past week. The drive was 2350 miles from Vegas to NC and I was very impressed with the Pepper. As I have said in the past, the V6 is VERY capable of towing and I was a testament to this over my 2350 miles trip and 2 mountian passes (rockies and blue ridge). I will defintely though be trading this V6 in for a V8 (S or TT) at the end of the lease and will also get the air suspension. Could have used a bit more power but towing in 4th at 60-70 the entire way (while killing gas consumption) was very powerful and very controllable. In 5th and sometimes not pulling (more like coasting) I didn't like the floating feeling. So 4th it was and I even ACCELERATED uphill!!!

As for the brake controller? Worked like a champ (thanks Lewis!).

As for the trailer lights? NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM!!!!!!

For the next 2 years left on my lease I will be towing my car to the track in teh V6 Cayenne and not worried at all.

Just a couple thoughts to leave you with.
* yes the V6 is very capable but the V8 would be preferable
* have not towed with PASM but imagine that would be a must
* correct trailer load distribution is a MUST! Don't screw around with your safety. Get a tongue weight scale.
* you will NOT have a trailer light issue if you do 2 very important things. (1) make sure you Pepper is programmed for US and NOT the RoW setting. Mine was as I am sure all (or most) are and you will be stumped why your lights are not working. Simple 5 minute fix at the dealer (PST2 required). (2) take your Pepper to several trailer dealers and TEST the lighting on the trailer with the Pepper to verify compatibility.
* Serioulsly look into the Pace trailer. Fit and finsh is fantastic. Just don't get the LED light option! Go with the standard lights and ALL will work just perfect.

Happy Towing!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to hear the brake controller/harness/connector worked well.

BTW, I've got lots of good towing stories.....unfortunately none of them have the word Cayenne in them (just words like Excursion, F250 CrewCab, Suburban....)
Old 06-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Porschenator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Good' Towing Stories.......

Hi All,

Bought an 05 CS last December.....happen to be a bike nut as well as P-Cars, and have been towing a 16' "HaulMark" ever since, no problems at all......I've hauled the dirt bikes (Yamaha's) and the ducs all over the Northwest without a trailer light issue or a braking issue of any kind......thanks Lewis, for the info on trailer brakes!

The CS handles the pull flawlessly (even without PASM, which I didn't get as the CS was a 'back in a week - lease'....too good to pass up)........only 'hitch' (no pun intended) was that it did not come from the factory with an electric 'trailer connect' (despite being shown in the owner's manual).....which I wrangled from the dealer and installed myself......after that, not a problem.....

I'm sorry for all who've had problems, believe me I was worried, but I give the CS high marks for sure.....it's been a work, ski, tow, do-it-all vehicle of the finest kind for me.......

Kim
Old 06-13-2006, 01:19 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Great to hear the GOOD towing stories for a change...
Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 538 Posts

Actually got the best mileage ever towing our ATC enclosed trailer (with spec Miata and spares inside) home from Heartland Park this past weekend- NO headwind for a change! 9.5 mpg towing between 65-70... other than the ! when I turned on the lights....
Old 06-13-2006, 09:54 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I guess I should have posted my gas mileage as well....

65mph avg and 2 long mountain passes
2350 miles
250.77 gallons
9.37 MPG
Old 06-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

"I towed my car and various personal effects for a total pull of approximately 7500-8000# "

Ok, I thought the limit was 6K LBS?

I have an 04 CS, been holding back on getting a trailer to pull my 996 to the track due to the possible weight over load...Figure the car is about 3100 plus trailer (3-4K) I figured it was over with just the car and could not put anything in the trailer at that point....

(I don't, and have not done a lot of towing)
Old 06-14-2006, 01:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

6K? Have you read you manual or the PCNA website? The towing is rated at 7700# and a tongue weight of 616# as long as you have the Porsche towing system.

Why would you think the limit was 6K? Did you guess?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Why no LED lights on the trailer?

I would think they would be better - use less power, last longer, faster illumination etc.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Hey Chris! Apparently the Pepper doesn't sense "enough" lighting usage with the LED's and triggers a ! fault thinking you have no lights.

Quick Reply: How about a GOOD towing story??? I have one!