Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Turbo questions - How to avoid an abused car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:59 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Turbo questions - How to avoid an abused car?

On the sports cars, you can get the dealer to pull the over rev info on the car. I was wondering if there is any way to see how a Turbo was treated? Redlined and and indication if the car was chipped/flashed? The car is pristine and pulls like a race car. The service records are perfect, with the prior owner very diligent about oil changes and such. I am just a little paranoid. I bought a used B5 S4, and the car was clearly abused by the prior owner.

Also, the car has the 20" wheel option. The prior owner put Hankook tires on the car. You think I should find that concerning. Guy spend $95k on a car and goes cheapo on the tires?? If the car is certified, don't they need to change the tires to Porsche "approved" tires?

Thank You

CJ
Old 07-22-2006, 10:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought the car was required to have N rated tires to be approved for CPO? Christ, PNCA will find any reason to deny a claim if you stray from the N rated tire they could attribute to the tire causing the problem but they put that crap on a CPO car? Something was missed (maybe intentionally?) during the CPO process. I would first negotiate the final price on the car if it is the one you want and then "play dumb" right after that and inspect it one more time and say "I read that a CPO'd car was required to ahve N spec tires....please install those prior to delivery"
Old 07-22-2006, 11:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
On the sports cars, you can get the dealer to pull the over rev info on the car. I was wondering if there is any way to see how a Turbo was treated? Redlined and and indication if the car was chipped/flashed?
It is virtually impossible for a stock Cayenne to record a Type 2 over rev....the TCU/ECU will not allow this. Type 1 overrevs will be recorded and are again goverened by the ECU/TCU and not normally an issue; new engines built at Zuffenhausen are assembled, filled with fluids, rolled into the dyno cell and put into the Rev limiter for a predetermined period of time.....just to make sure everything holds together.

The car is pristine and pulls like a race car. The service records are perfect, with the prior owner very diligent about oil changes and such. I am just a little paranoid.
Ask the dealer to read out the ECU parameters/EEPROM checksum/ID via PIWIS and ask for a visual inspection of the ECU for tamper seals.
Records of oil consumption complaints would be useful....CTT's can burn oil anywhere from a quart ever 500 miles to a quart ever 5000 miles. PCNA/PAG official position will be 1qt/1000 miles is perfectly normal and not an issue.

Also, the car has the 20" wheel option. The prior owner put Hankook tires on the car. You think I should find that concerning. Guy spend $95k on a car and goes cheapo on the tires?? If the car is certified, don't they need to change the tires to Porsche "approved" tires?
A dealer should be required to use N spec PAG homologated tires as part of the CPO process; however, since tires are considered 'wear' items, they are not covered under (CPO) warranty, hence they will use whatever they feel like. I would recommend asking for them to be changed prior to purchase to anything off of the PAG approved list.....not that it will matter much, the tire wear/life is likely to be ~10K on N spec tires.
The previous owner may have chosen the Hankook tires for a harder compound/longer life/less grip, rather than cost.

Thank You
CJ
You're welcome
Old 07-22-2006, 11:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

O.K. Lewis, so when do you start charging "us" for membership instead of the other way around?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

As I've said, always willing to help whenever possible, even though I no longer own, well, let's just stop here........
Old 07-23-2006, 12:03 AM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Speaking of abusive relationships, any idea where your peppered Pepper ended up Lewis?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by phantomias33
Speaking of abusive relationships, any idea where your peppered Pepper ended up Lewis?

Sorry the new 'owner' wishes to remain anonymous.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:35 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, the car has the 20" wheel option. The prior owner put Hankook tires on the car. You think I should find that concerning. Guy spend $95k on a car and goes cheapo on the tires??
CJ
I don't want this to become a debate, but I have a CTT and I recently installed Hankook Ventus 275/40/20 tires. I have to say that tire manufacturers such as Hankook and Kumho are not getiing the respect they deserve. Obivously they are not "N" rated, and I respect that classification from Porsche - But because he / she installed Hankook tires, I don't think it's correct to assume they are "Cheapo." IMO, they have been very good to excellent in both dry and wet conditions, and are well worth the $158ea.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I don't think anyubody is going to debate that the percieved "lesser" tires perform very well. the debate is the construction and materials that go into one of these tires and the life of them.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:17 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

On the sports cars, you can get the dealer to pull the over rev info on the car. I was wondering if there is any way to see how a Turbo was treated? Redlined and and indication if the car was chipped/flashed? The car is pristine and pulls like a race car....
...in addition to Cay software various logs checkups/readouts by the dealer for peace of mind and dealer service history regularity log check...I would approach CayTT a little differently, than you describe...you approach it from the sports sedan/sports car checkups prospective... It's LESS applicable to any Cayenne...Cay IS A HEAVY INERTIA car... IT IS POSSIBLE THE ONLY ONE WAY TO OBUSE IT BY THE DRIVER: be a lazy pi@ and completely neglect car service or car normal care!..

...I would check: car software logs, dealer service records, car OVERALL driving FEEL and how it breaths in various driving speed conditions, car overall integrity check and MOST IMPORTANT!!! oil consumption...AND THAT"S IT. Nothing else you really need to check, besides may be previous owner demographics and knowledge "face control" and he's ability to brake/obuse the car...

...eventhough OFFICIALLY car manufacturer tells you, that 1q per 1K mi is normal, it actually is NOT...it's a very good indicator of the badly "seated" components inside the engine drivetrain and is a PRIMARY indicator of INCORRECTLY performed and NEGLECTED car initial "brakein procedure"...

...I would not worry for the rest besides listed above.

...there are really ONLY two kinds of CayTT drivers, who actually MAY be able to reach car OBUSE level:
- ignorant LAZY unknowledgable drivers (...reminds me quite a few PORSCHE US dealers... )
- brilliant knowledgable drivers (I've seen VERY few in my life of such category... ) to be REALLY able to reach CayTT engine OVERLOAD levels...

Enjoy Cay, don't worry too much,

OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 07-24-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
I don't think anyubody is going to debate that the percieved "lesser" tires perform very well. the debate is the construction and materials that go into one of these tires and the life of them.
True, but it's hard to get around the fact that a soft/grippy tire will wear faster than a hard/slick tire.
http://www.goodyear.ca/tireschool/ti...re_grades.html

Driving around on a soft/grippy/fast wear rate tire is fun and $$
Driving around on a hard/slick/long life tire is less fun, but economical.

If not, then I guess my wife is right and I HAVE been wasting money on Hoosiers for the Cup car
Old 07-24-2006, 06:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Hoosier's on the Pepper? now that would be a tasty treat
Old 07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hoosier's on the Pepper? now that would be a tasty treat
I'd give them one lap before you had them down to the cords
Old 07-24-2006, 06:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Is it the 6000# or the fantastic agility?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Is it the 6000# or the fantastic agility?
Put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.....just a pretty pig.

Quick Reply: Used Turbo questions - How to avoid an abused car?