Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do any of you use Cayenne's for off roading?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do any of you use Cayenne's for off roading?

I'm thinking of switching from my Hummer H-3 to a Cayenne. Is this a good idea? I'm not trying to climb rock walls but I go into the mountains and deserts for my job.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know very little about the H3, but what are the repair costs? I assume that if you go into mountains and deserts often, there is more maintanance and repair than normal road travel? Something to consider if GM parts and labor are cheaper than those on the Cayenne.

However, from shows like 5th Gear, Top Gear and Motor Week, the Cayenne is a very capable off-road vehicle. The only off-roading I've done was in Leipzig on their off-road demo course and I found it impressive. I have however heard that the new (2010 ?) will be losing a lot of it's off-roading and people-hauling capabilities...possibly because so few Cayennes ever see the dirt. Look for posts from 'Coochas' and he may have links for the video reviews I mentioned above.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:45 PM
GM Austin
Pro

The Cayenne will be fine for off-roading and there's no extra maintenance to be done, unless you break something. I have taken my Cayenne off-road extensively and can tell you that it is very capable. I now have 60k miles on my Cayenne and have had no unusual maintenance items. YMMV.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Originally Posted by GM Austin
The Cayenne will be fine for off-roading and there's no extra maintenance to be done, unless you break something. I have taken my Cayenne off-road extensively and can tell you that it is very capable. I now have 60k miles on my Cayenne and have had no unusual maintenance items. YMMV.
What kind of tires do use?

I love Top Gear in the UK. You can't get it in the States.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
I'm thinking of switching from my Hummer H-3 to a Cayenne. Is this a good idea? I'm not trying to climb rock walls but I go into the mountains and deserts for my job.
Even on 20-inch wheels w/ low profile performance tires, the Cayenne is pretty respectable in those conditions. I've used mine to ford small streams and climb dirt hills that mere 2WD cannot climb. With off-road or M&S tires, you'll do even better...just make sure to turn off PSM when you encounter the rough stuff, and lock the diff when the going gets really rough...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
GM Austin
Pro

ChipAZ: I use the OEM 18" Continental Contact M&S

Budget M3: Turn off PSM? Why?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:55 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Another concern, is what do you do when you blow a tire on some back trail in Utah? Without a spare.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another concern, is what do you do when you blow a tire on some back trail in Utah? Without a spare.
Simply install (actually have the dealer do it) the Cayenne spare wheel holder:
http://porsche.parkplacestores.com/caspwhho.html

But wait, there's more.....

Act now and we'll include the Cayenne spare wheel COVER:
http://porsche.parkplacestores.com/caspwhco.html

Don't delay, supplies are limited.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:14 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Good point! I ordered the space saver spare with my car so I do have that. I now also have a full size spare I can bring along if I think it's necessary.

Interestingly, I have never had a tire failure off-roading. I'm very careful and slow on the sort of stuff you see in the above photo, just to avoid busting something on the underside, but if the terrain is relatively flat, I let'er rip. I will drive as fast or faster off-road as I do on pavement (no radar out there).

Driving on paved roads has been much more hazardous to tires for me. I've had several failures on-road; beer bottles, nails, curbs, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Budget M3: Turn off PSM? Why?
To allow for SOME wheel spin...With the Cayenne, the PSM is never really completely off, but when climbing on dirt, the PSM thinks you are sliding and applies the brakes to the spinning wheel. There are some climbs where you just want the AWD to do it's thing and send power to the wheel(s) w/ traction.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Phil S
Advanced

My 2005 Turbo came with a space saver spare. I think earlier Cayennes may have not had a spare, but from at least 2005 on I think they all have spares.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Originally Posted by Budget M3
To allow for SOME wheel spin...With the Cayenne, the PSM is never really completely off, but when climbing on dirt, the PSM thinks you are sliding and applies the brakes to the spinning wheel. There are some climbs where you just want the AWD to do it's thing and send power to the wheel(s) w/ traction.
With PSM off that's not going to happen. The front and rear differentials are open on the Cayenne. You can lock the center differential, and that does help, but without PSM on, power is going to go to the wheel without traction, not the one with traction. PSM's not so great either. On really steep grades, especially rocky and uneven terrain, by the time PSM kicks in and stops the spinning wheel, you've already lost momentum. A rear locker would be a nice solution, and that is available with the advanced offroad technical package option, but that option is pretty hard to find. I get the feeling that Porsche has only built about 10 Cayennes with that option installed.

The Cayenne's big asset off-road, IMHO, is the incredible ground clearance you can get with the suspension fully raised. That quality alone is enough to give the Cayenne serious off-road abilities. The low range gearing and locking center differential are also helpful.

But don't turn off PSM. It is somewhat helpful and there is no advantage to turning it off.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:51 AM
Budget M3
Racer

But don't turn off PSM. It is somewhat helpful and there is no advantage to turning it off.
Our experiences vary. I should have clarified that turning PSM off should be used in certain climbing situations. It is really the traction control (which is also controlled by PSM) which causes the problem. Again, you can't turn any of these electronic nannies off completely. You are correct that by the time PSM kicks in, you lose valuable momentum in a climb. On VERY LOOSE surfaces (like right behind my house), the only way to make the climb and maintain momentum is to allow for some wheel spin. Going too slowly (don't want to kick too many rocks up on that Porsche paint job , I have been halfway up that hill when PSM brings the car to a stop due to its detection of a spinning wheel(s). The only way to get unstuck is either rely on gravity and back down the hill, or turn off PSM (or engage the diff lock as you point out). Similar principles apply to traction control on any car if you get stuck in the snow. Once you are stopped with no traction at the drive wheel(s), you sometimes need a little wheelspin to gain traction and get unstuck.

In hindsight, I probably should have said to be PREPARED to turn off PSM in certain conditions. Any way you take your Cayenne off road, though...it's all good!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:19 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I do a bit, but nothing to major
Old 08-11-2006, 09:21 PM
356driver
Racer

Default The Cayenne is a great offroad vehicle

I have taken my CTT offroad - Death Valley, Mojave National Monument, Anza Borrego, Lytle Creek, etc...

IMO the Cayenne is a more capable offroad vehicle than an H-3, which is built on the Chevy Trailblazer platform. The Trailblazer is more of a family SUV than a true offroader, whereas Porsche designed serious offroad capabilities into the Cayenne.

I suggest you use 18 inch wheels with rugged tires. I have Nitto Terragrapplers on mine, but there are many other good choices. PASM (air suspenison) is a real plus.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Do any of you use Cayenne's for off roading?