Sponsored by:

Well... I let go of my S...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well... I let go of my S...

I got my S in 8/03 and it has about 46K on it.

It was the best SUV I ever had. It was my work truck. I carried tools, materials (about 600 lb of marble tile once) and towed (6,000lb).

It was tough keeping towing speed under 80 with air suspension, it was so smooth.

Then the time I worked on a moto pit crew in Baja1000, with framing waste wood for the night fires up to my fabric headliner. Had to go thru the border at 5am for fear of guards having me empty truck for a drug inspection. Getting thru LA at triple digits at 3am... Hmmmm... the memories.

What did I get in it's place? Hang on... I got a Honda Element. Why? Because I'm an idiot. Once I paid about $75 to fill my tank and it put a bug in my head that I couldn't shake.

I can fit 4X8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock when I lift the rear seats, load a large stump or log to sculpt and climb out the rear sunroof onto the platform I'm going to build to use for photographing motorsports.

Enjoy your Cayennes, they're the best. Take care Mudman, be well..
Old 12-20-2006, 01:15 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Torags
I got my S in 8/03 and it has about 46K on it...
Before "naked".. no one can argue with that
It was the best SUV I ever had.
Some might argue with that.. but no complaints here..
It was tough keeping towing speed under 80 with air suspension, it was so smooth.
PASM.. is "way cool" now that I got it in my second rendition.
.......I'm an idiot. Once I paid about $75 to fill my tank and it put a bug in my head that I couldn't shake..
Fuel Buyer's Remorse.. a common syndrome in the Cayenne.. Fuel is not a consideration.. what were you thinking?!!?!?
Enjoy your Cayennes, they're the best. Take care Mudman, be well..
You will be missed... Mudman2.. are you next?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i think....

PASM is about the one thing i haven't had problems with, it certainly is "way cool". while i haven't carried salt blocks for livestock or hay in the cayenne, it has done light duty with a few hundred lbs of feed (or control systems). the trailer hitch was going to put it into horse trailer work, which i am sure it would have done admirably.

nakedness is another issue. my original intention with the cayenne was to keep it for 200k or so (see my first posts on rennlist), but if porsche can't fix it now, what are the chances of me being able to keep it running without monthly excursions to the porsche dealership. my father got caught with a diesel chevy truck in the 80's (that his engineer son TOLD him not to get) where the repair bills were running more than the monthly payments (this was pre-lemon law). the cayenne (at least mine) seems to be heading the same way. add porsche's inability to live up to their own deals and i have been looking over the honda/acura lot as well.

never had a honda that i didn't like, or that didn't last LONG past the point i was ready to move on (except for the 83 accord i shortened by 3.5 feet one day). i am sure your element will give you years and years and years and years of good service.

and you can always and forevermore say "i road the black horse".
Old 12-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I'll have to console myself with my Carrara and my silver whale (R1150 RS) which I ride enthusiastically (is that a word?)
Old 12-20-2006, 02:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Run away, don't look back, don't think about those that are left behind.
Congratulations
Old 12-20-2006, 05:36 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Run away, don't look back,...........
Resorting to Monty Python-esque feedback on the Cayenne.. don't you know the Germans no likey the Brits..
Originally Posted by ltc
don't think about those that are left behind.......
What you two-timing "&-$&*!@&*" you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So. now... we know the true feelings of Larry......... reminds me of a blockbuster christian book series.. Those that went to Cayenne "heaven" early are never mentioned in the books and never speak to the "left behind-ees" until the "final reward".. So us "left behind-ees" are in the purgatory of vehicle ownership by those who departed this Cayenne life early.. SNOBS... ahhhhh, but you think about us and WRITE to us OFTEN, after all!!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
Resorting to Monty Python-esque feedback on the Cayenne.. don't you know the Germans no likey the Brits..
Yes, but what about the French......fechez la vache

Originally Posted by MadFox
What you two-timing "&-$&*!@&*" you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So. now... we know the true feelings of Larry......... reminds me of a blockbuster christian book series.. Those that went to Cayenne "heaven" early are never mentioned in the books and never speak to the "left behind-ees" until the "final reward".. So us "left behind-ees" are in the purgatory of vehicle ownership by those who departed this Cayenne life early.. SNOBS... ahhhhh, but you think about us and WRITE to us OFTEN, after all!!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, but what about the French......fechez la vache
The French.. well the Brits don't likey the French either.. but the Germans had their way with them!
Of course, so has every other country they've fought in a war!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The only French who actually fought are the French knights who held the English castle and threw the cow (vache) over the wall at the beginning of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
As for "French" and "combat".......think "jumbo shrimp"........just doesn't go together.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:52 AM
diplomat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
The only French who actually fought are the French knights who held the English castle and threw the cow (vache) over the wall at the beginning of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
As for "French" and "combat".......think "jumbo shrimp"........just doesn't go together.

Hey hey be nice to the french, didnt they help the US defeat someone.........
Old 12-22-2006, 12:27 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I am somewhat in the opposite situation, I will be getting a Cayenne S Titanium in a couple weeks as I am trying to sell my trade. If it doesn't sell in a coupe of weeks, then I will trade it in.

I had a Honda Element when it first came out couple years ago. I loved the room it has especially when you removed the rear seats. That vinyl (instead of carpet) flooring is awesome when you move stuff and just slide it in. The first word that comes to my head is "utility" whenever the Element is mentioned, you will be amazed how much stuff you can squeeze in there everytime!

Now the reasons I got rid of it only having it 6 months or so: the brakes are scary when cold, so take it easy on the first few miles in the morning; it feels like a tin can whenever it rains, Honda must've forgot some decent headliner/insulation; i wasn't all that impressed with the mileage, if i remember correctly, it was low 20s in real life, i know it's aerodynamic is as good as a brick but being a 4 banger or having just enough power, i was expecting better...
Old 12-22-2006, 09:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a used Cayenne today. The Cayenne has joined the Boxster as the poster child of Dr. W's overproduction policy (the basic Carrera is not too far behind, and neither is the 996TT for that matter, based on current pricing).
Planned really, since the business model of a "Porsche for everyone" relies on highly overproduced and depreciated vehicles.

In other words, you will find it difficult to sell a used Cayenne, especially since you are in competition with your Porsche dealer, who is also trying to sell used Cayennes (that he HAS to take on trade in order to sell new vehicles (100K/year or else mantra....otherwise he doesn't make his numbers and he won't be allocated any of the 'desireable' Porsches (GT2, GT3, GT3RS, Turbo, etc)......and he has the advantage of offering a CPO to the prospective buyer.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
Run away, don't look back, don't think about those that are left behind.
Congratulations
Hey Lewis good to see you're still kicking (with enthusiasm)...

If/when PAG comes out with a hybrid... I'm in the market. I didn't quite run away from my Pepper, I gave it to my daughter. I got her to get rid of her Range Rover (which deserves a "run away don't look back").

Wilfred, It took me about 6 mos to get over the Element mileage issue - it should get more. You're right about the utility. As a noob photographer who likes motor sports it makes sense. I'm going to fashion a roof deck accessible thru sunroof to get over those high fences at tracks - when camping in Baja I can sleep in or out. We'll see how long this experiment lasts.

I'm old enough to have a golf cart for my next vehicle....
Old 12-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

BTW for those who are selling their Cayennes, consider lining up the buyers financing before you sell. Visit your local credit union who are usually more competitive than banks. Talk to a finace person to get value and loan to value they can give someone. Have them print it out - take a biz card and give it to a buyer who gives you a deposit. It gives a buyer comfort & a ready relationship with a lender. From the credit union they're grateful because you're getting biz for them.

That's where dealers have an economical advantage, lenders chase them for financing.

just my .02
Old 12-22-2006, 12:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Lewis good to see you're still kicking (with enthusiasm)...
Thanks. I'm not dead yet....contrary to what people may send me via PM.

If/when PAG comes out with a hybrid... I'm in the market. I didn't quite run away from my Pepper, I gave it to my daughter. I got her to get rid of her Range Rover (which deserves a "run away don't look back").
It exists. It's a real PITA. If you loved the electrical system in the current Cayenne, wait for this one.
I'll stick with my little 06 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD, thank you. That little POS makes me smile everytime I drive it.

Don't be a stranger, check back in from time to time.
You are grandfathered into lifetime Cayenne member status (re: you're an old timer back when the forum was fun and we all still had that twinkle in our eye), at least according to MadFox, the official bartender and keeper of lifetime membership records.

Quick Reply: Well... I let go of my S...