Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing differences between TT and S ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Towing differences between TT and S ???

Ok, so the Kool-Aid has been really flowing around here and I decided to trade (maybe) my Cayenne V6 for an S. But when I went down to my local dealer all they had were a few NEW **** and 1 pre-owned TT. I drove the TT and really liked it but my concern is the towing. Since my PRIMARY reason to trade up is for more towing torque so I was looking for a S but the TT was really nice. Here's the problem, all the **** on the lot are all definite NO's becasue of color combo and none have air suspension. So naturally, the dealer offered me the TT.

The deal that is on the table seems to be VERY fair. The dealer has offered to payoff my lease and then sell me the TT CPO'd for 73K. I don't think I am going to do it since I really don't want to spend that kind of coin on a SUV/tow vehicle but I was very impressed with the whole package.

So my question is this. If money were NOT the issue here and you were thinking about towing ability, would the S be better since the power is more linear/instant without the turbo spool?

**I can easily wait for the 08 models to come and I can also easily be happy with my Cayenne V6 for the next 1.5 years towing and then start shopping all over again so this isn't a "gotta have it" purchase.**
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.fordvehicles.com/Trucks/2008superduty/
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

There has been some great discussions in the Racing/DE forum regarding tow vehicles.
You CAN compromise safety/stability with an SUV, but in the end, most people end up with a proper tow vehicle. It only takes ONE incident with a marginal setup and it's over.

I'd suggest reading some of these threads in the next 1.5 years, especially if you are heading down that slippery slope.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I actually have read those threads and will NEVER purchase a dedicated tow vehicle. I need a multi-purpose car and the Cayenne is more than capable (as are other SUV's) to perform the task at hand. As much as I would love to have that smooth towing panache' that comes with the behemoths like you have posted that just ain't gonna happen. Besdies, I've got insurance
Old 12-27-2006, 11:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I have a Dodge that I use to tow vehicles and lug heavy loads with and have used my CT to tow my S2 behind and to be honest it did as well as my Dodge. I see no reason for concern and for occasional towing you should be fine assuming you don't overload the vehicle. Like anything towing requires a level head, patience and common sense. If you use all three you will have no problems and a nice daily driver.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input Anthony. I am very aware of my surroundings when towing and will never take a chance as well. Of course, the towing "purists" would like everybody to have a big ole diesel dually but that isn't practical from 95% of the towing public.

However, with that said, my concern is the towing difference between the N/A torque of the S model and the turbo spool required power of the TT. When I drove the TT last night I could feel that "build up" of power and then it was all of a sudden there which was my only concern. Would the S be better for towing even with the disparity in torque but with more "instant" power?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:31 PM
henna gaijin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did someone say "V10 diesel Touareg?"

Old 12-27-2006, 12:32 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

I use my pepper S for towing my GT3/GTI(open trailer) and it's got plenty of torque to go wherenever you want(I live in San francisco-nice and hilly). With open trailer it shouldn't be a problem but I've seen closed trailer on the Cayenne and looks like its maxed out in weight. I too don't like the interior color combo of the TIT S but man do love that red : ). Have you seen how the new Cayenne looks on pics-looks funny but won't bear judgment til I see in person. Regards. Mike
Old 12-27-2006, 12:49 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Thanks for the input Anthony. I am very aware of my surroundings when towing and will never take a chance as well. Of course, the towing "purists" would like everybody to have a big ole diesel dually but that isn't practical from 95% of the towing public.

However, with that said, my concern is the towing difference between the N/A torque of the S model and the turbo spool required power of the TT. When I drove the TT last night I could feel that "build up" of power and then it was all of a sudden there which was my only concern. Would the S be better for towing even with the disparity in torque but with more "instant" power?

Coming from a 430 hp single turbo 911 I didn't even notice the build up of power as you state. The CT does have a minor lag when boost builds but it had no effect on my towing. In fact with the added load it is a smoother transition. More than adequate power and no jerky feeling that you might be concerned about.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Great, thanks for the input. I just need to figure out if this is what we REALLY want to do. I guess my biggest reservation is that I am sure the S is more than adequete so I feel that the TT is overkill and extra $$$ out of the pocket that I really don't want to part with right now.

.....I think I have already made that decision.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Dell,
I'm not sure who the "purists" are...pehaps they're related to the "Cayenne Defenders of the Faith", but there is a substantial difference in towing (comfort, stablility, etc) between a properly equipped (diesel) tow vehicle (with a proper tow mode control transmission..missing from the Cayenne''s 200 adaptive transmission profiles.....proper telelscoping tow mirrors, etc) and an SUV.

Yes, you can tow a fairly large enclosed trailer/load with a Cayenne, but it won't be with the same level of safety/stability when something goes 'funny'.

Not a slam against the Cayenne (can't believe I typed that), but there is a big difference between the two.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Very true. But the purist I refer to are the towing purist that don't beleive you should tow with anything other than a "tow vehicle" and SUV's are not in the category. I read all the banter over in the DE forum about towing. There was a great thread recently about this very issue and there was a lot of the "you should't be towing with a Cayenne or any other SUV". If you are going to do it "properly" then you really need to get a tow vehicle like the one you have pictured above. As I stated, I will NOT be towing with something like that. I have logged well over 3000 tow miles with the Pepper and about every one of those miles was at FULL CAPACITY and in varying conditions (highway, rural route, 1 lane-4 lane, low speed, high speed, flat, steep incline/decline, etc, etc, etc) and I am very comfotable with what I have witnessed and learned from.

I just need to figure out if I am ready to move up in engine torque right now or to give it more thought over the next 1.5 years while my lease runs up. I decided this morning that I am going to pass on the TT and just let the lease run it's course and go from there. At that point I will be open to just about ANY marque of 7700#+ towing capacity SUV.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Then go for the longest wheelbase, diesel equipped SUV you can find. The Q7 TDI perhaps.
I think proper (full rear visibility) towing mirrors are always going to be an issue for SUV's though.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I agree 100% on the deficiencies of the SUV mirrors. They are the achillies heel of towing with these puppies. The Q7 and others will be on my list in 1.5 years.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:42 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 538 Posts

Depends on which diesel they put in the Q7- so far all I've heard is the smaller V6 not tthe V10...I'd love the Q7 with the V10 (or V12 but I'm not Bill Gates and don't play the lottery...)

BTW, my S tows my enclosed ATC pretty well... sure I'd love a big diesel rig but it would be used pretty sparingly except for race weekends...and the Cayenne gets driven all the time by our whole family.

Quick Reply: Towing differences between TT and S ???