Sponsored by:

sacrilegious question: CTT or ML63?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, we are having our 7th snow storm in the last 6 weeks here in Colorado and as I was heading home from work I found myself behind an ML63 with new paper tags. The roads were getting pretty slick as we headed up the ridge that I live on. The ML63 gets into a left turn lane, I was in the lane right next to it. The left turn signal turned green and the guy in it wants to show off a little so he hit the gas pretty hard and about halfway through his turn the rear end of slipped and his car ended up doing a 180, he hit the curb and broken his left rear wheel. When the light changed I went straight and turned into a gas station near him. I wanted to see if he was okay as it looked like he hit the curb pretty hard. The guy was very upset with himself but he kept saying that he didn't think he was going too fast for the conditions. I told him I thought he was showing off and he finally admitted it. I didn't get close enough to his car to see what kind of tires they were but I could see that they were not summer tires.

The morale of this story is that in 4 years of ownership my Cayenne has never slipped in the kind of conditions we were in. I suspect that this guy didn't know how to manage the power he had but it also made me suspect of the AWD capability of the ML63. BTW, the three wheels that were left on the ML63 looked pretty sharp. After witnessing this episode, I am sticking with the Cayenne.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay-ute
I didn't get close enough to his car to see what kind of tires they were but I could see that they were not summer tires.
Actually, they probably were summer tires. ML63 comes stock with 295/40-20, which doesn't sound like a winter-compatible size to me.

http://www.mbusa.com/models/features...=ML63&class=07

"These tires are not designed for use on snow and ice. Winter tires mounted on appropriately sized and approved wheels are recommended for driving in those conditions."

Moreover, losing control from a standing start is more indicative of how hamfisted the driver is, not of how well a vehicle can perform in inclement weather. For that matter, I'm sure that anyone here could get a CTTS sideways on OEM 275 tires in the snow. Provided identical tires, I'm sure an ML can hang with a Cayenne in just about any off-road situation. Both are terrific vehicles, both are susceptible to foolish driving.

You want something that's relatively idiot-proof in the winter: get a quattro Audi with the smallest possible motor, dedicated snow tires, an automatic, and go nuts.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, the tires were not smooth looking like the majority of summer tires, they had a more chunky look to them.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Phil S
Advanced

I don't know about the prices in Canada, but here in the USA you will be able to buy a 2008 CTT with 500 horsepower for the low $90's which puts it in about the same price range as the ML63. From what I have read the 2008 CTT is slightly faster that the 2006 CTTS. That should put it very close to the ML63 in acceleration. And there is no doubt that the Cayenne handles better, brakes better and has off-road capabilities.

With the 2008 CTT you can get 2006 CTTS performance at the ML63 price.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Terk
Track Day

The 08' CTT in Canada starts just under $125K and climbs. ML63's are ~ $100K baring a few options which makes it look like a bargin by comparison. Canadian Porsche prices don't seem to make sense when compared to how they are priced in the USA especially when Canada falls under PCNA.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:49 PM
cthronson
AutoX

Off working, and missed this post. Although my reply might be past the "sell by" date at this point, I do have a couple of observations:

I have an '06 CTTS, and my wife has an '07 ML 63 AMG. I have driven both, the CTTS more of course. My thoughts:

1. Engine\performance--Comparable. The AMG is quicker off the line, the CTTS builds thrust, (some naysayers call it turbo "lag." I call it anticipation...) both about equal in the quarter mile (or, in my case, 5 city blocks at 1 a.m.)

2. Handling--The CTTS wins. More planted, more control. The CTTS also clearly is superior off-road (yes, I do) and towing capacity (yes, I do).

3. Interior--The Mercedes has come a long way with the ML redesign, and farther still with the AMG. My wife traded in her 06 ML 500 when I got the CTTS (fair is fair) and the AMG feels more solid and put-together than even the ML 500. Beautiful styling details and fit and finish.

The Porsche is more spartan, if that is the right word for a $115,000 vehicle, but equally well built if not a bit more durable. I like the seating position in the CTTS better as well--sitting higher in the car. To me, the ML feels like you are sitting down in the middle of the car.

4. Convenience\features--comparable. The Mercedes has some stuff I'd like to have gotten, and likewise with the Cayenne. All it takes is a checkmark on the order sheet.

5. Price\value--On a pure dollar-for-dollar basis, the ML wins, at least in terms of what we paid for each vehicle. Nobody in their right mind would argue that Porsche doesn't price the bejesus out of their products, options, and everything else they sell. But there is just something about a Porsche (history, engineering, capabilities, exclusivity, whatever) that at least to me makes up the price difference, no matter the model (a Boxster and three 911s later).

I just got back from a 100 mile round trip to visit a client. Her 18 year old son with a built Chevy 350 pickup truck liked the Cayenne, until I told him that it only had a 275 cid engine under the hood. He brightened when I asked him if he'd like to race down the two-lane road their farm is on. He gave me a 3 car length head start--just enough for that pesky turbo lag....
Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 PM
SciFrog
Racer

How is the plastic dash in the ML compared to the CTTS?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Rider1
Advanced

The ML63 has a full leather "dash". Just like the CTTS.

Dave
Old 02-10-2007, 07:38 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by cthronson
Off working, and missed this post. Although my reply might be past the "sell by" date at this point, I do have a couple of observations:

I have an '06 CTTS, and my wife has an '07 ML 63 AMG. I have driven both, the CTTS more of course. My thoughts:

1. Engine\performance--Comparable. The AMG is quicker off the line, the CTTS builds thrust, (some naysayers call it turbo "lag." I call it anticipation...) both about equal in the quarter mile (or, in my case, 5 city blocks at 1 a.m.)

2. Handling--The CTTS wins. More planted, more control. The CTTS also clearly is superior off-road (yes, I do) and towing capacity (yes, I do).

3. Interior--The Mercedes has come a long way with the ML redesign, and farther still with the AMG. My wife traded in her 06 ML 500 when I got the CTTS (fair is fair) and the AMG feels more solid and put-together than even the ML 500. Beautiful styling details and fit and finish.

The Porsche is more spartan, if that is the right word for a $115,000 vehicle, but equally well built if not a bit more durable. I like the seating position in the CTTS better as well--sitting higher in the car. To me, the ML feels like you are sitting down in the middle of the car.

4. Convenience\features--comparable. The Mercedes has some stuff I'd like to have gotten, and likewise with the Cayenne. All it takes is a checkmark on the order sheet.

5. Price\value--On a pure dollar-for-dollar basis, the ML wins, at least in terms of what we paid for each vehicle. Nobody in their right mind would argue that Porsche doesn't price the bejesus out of their products, options, and everything else they sell. But there is just something about a Porsche (history, engineering, capabilities, exclusivity, whatever) that at least to me makes up the price difference, no matter the model (a Boxster and three 911s later).

I just got back from a 100 mile round trip to visit a client. Her 18 year old son with a built Chevy 350 pickup truck liked the Cayenne, until I told him that it only had a 275 cid engine under the hood. He brightened when I asked him if he'd like to race down the two-lane road their farm is on. He gave me a 3 car length head start--just enough for that pesky turbo lag....
3 cars is all he gave you? I'm sure that race didn't take long...
Old 02-11-2007, 02:38 PM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by cthronson

thanks for your insights. it's not too late as the weather is too cold to get a good test ride given the oe summer tires on the ml63.

do you, rider1 or whoopsy have any feedback on relibility. my last ml was a nightmare ... and getting an appointment with the dealer was equally bad. hopefully, relibility is better so i won't be on a first name basis with all the wrenches and advisors at the new mbz dealership in the neighorhood.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:25 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep an eye on the MB World forums. If there are major problems they will start talking about them.

Quick Reply: sacrilegious question: CTT or ML63?