Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sacrilegious question: CTT or ML63?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
golfguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sacrilegious question: CTT or ML63?

i know this is a tough question to ask on a porsche forum, but i'm trying to decide which suv to get, '07 ml63 or '08 pepper-tt.

for the record, i am a porsche fan and currently own 2 pepper-s ('04 and '06) in the family. the ml63 seems to be a heck of a bargain relative to the ctt, especially given the exchange rate premium that porsche has placed on canadian cars; if i remember correctly ml63 vs ctt in canadian dollars is $96k vs $122k. however, what is holding me back are the memories of my last mb, an '00 ml430, which was the worse P.O.S. i have ever owned.

does anyone have experience with the ml63 and want to debate the real life considerations of owning either suv? please keep in mind that this is going to be a daily driver so lap times are not critical to the decision.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 PM
charlieXS
Pro

I drove the new ML before the Cayenne... and my initial feeling was verified by the road tests.

The ML is "tippy" compared to the Cayenne. In fact the Sport Package model I drove with my wife actually made her nervous on our test drive. The AMG has less body roll of course, but road tests reviews all note the body roll as being unexpected.

I DO like the 7 speed transmission, it feels like a motorcycle. The 500hp+ would be nice and as a luxury "burner" I think it'd be cool... but it's NO CTT.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Rider1
Advanced

Originally Posted by golfguy
i know this is a tough question to ask on a porsche forum, but i'm trying to decide which suv to get, '07 ml63 or '08 pepper-tt.

for the record, i am a porsche fan and currently own 2 pepper-s ('04 and '06) in the family. the ml63 seems to be a heck of a bargain relative to the ctt, especially given the exchange rate premium that porsche has placed on canadian cars; if i remember correctly ml63 vs ctt in canadian dollars is $96k vs $122k. however, what is holding me back are the memories of my last mb, an '00 ml430, which was the worse P.O.S. i have ever owned.

does anyone have experience with the ml63 and want to debate the real life considerations of owning either suv? please keep in mind that this is going to be a daily driver so lap times are not critical to the decision.
Well okay, here goes:
I've owned an '05 and an '06 CTT. One test drive of the ML63 and I was sold! Main reason and I emphasize main reason is because of the transmission/turbo lag especially going around a corner at slower speeds like in town driving. I tried GIAC ECU upgrade, BMC filter and Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes which helped a little.
I've owned the ML63 for a little over 6K miles. It doesn't handle as well as the CTT at the limit but for my type of driving I like the ride and the handling is more than adequate. The power is GREAT...immediate and the transmission is super responsive. The interior of the CTT is a little nicer. i.e. nicer door panel coverings and the alcantra headliner is nice. I haven't driven the '08 CTT yet so these observations are from the '05 and '06.
Bottom line: Test drive them both and see what u like/don't like and decide from there. And be sure to take into consideration what your local dealers are like in terms of customer service. Very important IMO.

Dave
Old 01-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

I have not test drove the ML63, so my point is probably not as valid as Dave.

I had ML320 and ML500 before my Cayenne S. They are OK as transportation, but I don't miss them at all.

I'm sure technology has advanced and looking at the numbers, the ML63 is at the top of sporty SUV. The facelifted CTT should be as good as the ML63 based on numbers we have seen, at a slightly higher price.

Ever since Mercedes combined with Chrysler, I think it's quality has gone downhill. ML63 is assembled in USA, which I will mind if I have to pay so much money. I have a friend that works in service dept. of Mercedes. He said that a lot of the parts they used for Mercedes are now made in USA. I'm not trying to start a flame here by talking about US products, but you really pay for what you get...Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:57 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default CTTS vs...

Looks like these German guys liked the Porsche better overall...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_w6a5O1dtY
Old 01-24-2007, 04:25 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

My wife drives an '04 ML350 she loves it. Honestly, I can't stand to drive the thing. I think it is slow and handles like a toaster oven on wheels. Granted-- it is not the AMG version, but it is a joke compared to the CS, IMO.

Her lease ends in the Spring and she is leaning towards another ML, but probably not the 63.

(It wouldn't be my choice, but what can I say? I don't tell her what kind of handbags to buy (or cars to drive)...and she doesn't tell me...uhmm... what kind of exhaust system I can (or can't) put on my CS.)

I haven't driven the new model ML yet, but I am really hoping it drives better than the prior models. even for the few times a month that I drive the thing.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:04 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 507 Posts

I had my ML63 for almost 2 months now, the new M-class is night and day better than the old style, everything feel MUCH more solid, unlike the old one which feels like it's held together with rubber bands.

When I bought the ML63, the only other truck I was considering was the CTTS, and with the list price of the Porsche some 60k over the ML63, it was quite an easy decision to decide the ML63 is the better choice. Granted the Cayenne handles a little better at the limit but how often do I drive a truck AT the limit on the street? ML63 rides much better in everyday driving and at least to me it looks better than the Cayenne, both the current version and the facelifted version.

I never own a Cayenne before but I did have a demo to drive around for a week twice offered by my salesman, once it was the regular S and the other time was the Turbo S. Either time it's a love-hate thing, there are things in the car that I love and there are things that I hate about the car. And the ONE that I hated the most was the fact that the lowly VW shares the basic structure with it, personally it makes me sick to know that fact, sorry I just can't get over it, I know the Touareg is a really nice car and has a nice interior but VW as a brand rank about the same level as Hyundai in my mind. 80k for a VW? Sorry but I still associate VW with 20-30k Golfs and Jettas.

At least on my truck, the fit and finish is top-notch, it's actually better than the Turbo S that I demo-ed.

As Rider1 pointed out the power is GREAT!!!. Man this thing hauls and actually feels much faster than the Turbo S, I know they are about the same on power but man there is no lag in this thing, step on it and it GOES RIGHT NOW

As a Porsche owner I did have the thought of getting a second Porsche to be a stablemate to my 997 Turbo, but in my mind the Cayenne is better but it's not 60k better. For that 60k that I saved, I am already thinking about getting a Lotus Elise just for fun.

But seriously golfguy, go test the new ML63 and see if you like it or still prefer the Cayenne.

BTW the trunk in the ML63 is no better than the Cayenne, you still have to take out the driver to put the clubs in sideways.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 PM
golfguy
Racer

thanks for all your feedback on the ml63.

i'll have to wait for the weather to clear up here before taking a test drive assuming i can find one in stock. i'll also do more research on it's reliability as well ... which i hope has improved over the gen1 ml.

if price were equal, i would go for the ctt but for $30k difference and similar performance, the ml63 is a bargain.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:23 PM
sigs
Racer

Putting aside my need/want for several Cayenne capabilities that I don't see in the ML, the normally aspirated power and the price tag is certainly attractive. However, as a former beta-owner of the previous generation ML, Satan will be selling Purple Sno-Cones before I will ever buy another new model or radical redesign MB in it's first year. I guess I should thank them, since that experience kept me from buying a Cayenne until the '05 model AND it taught me the value of forums like this one.

I don't know enough to say whether the fact that it is an AMG to improve things much. Of my five friends with AMGs of various flavors (coupes and sedans, no MLs) in the past 5 years, each got out of his as soon as possible, due to the same sorts of headaches.

Finally, service, like politics, is local. You may do better with the ML if you KNOW for sure that you have good local MB service.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
Putting aside my need/want for several Cayenne capabilities that I don't see in the ML, the normally aspirated power and the price tag is certainly attractive. However, as a former beta-owner of the previous generation ML, Satan will be selling Purple Sno-Cones before I will ever buy another new model or radical redesign MB in it's first year. I guess I should thank them, since that experience kept me from buying a Cayenne until the '05 model AND it taught me the value of forums like this one.

I don't know enough to say whether the fact that it is an AMG to improve things much. Of my five friends with AMGs of various flavors (coupes and sedans, no MLs) in the past 5 years, each got out of his as soon as possible, due to the same sorts of headaches.

Finally, service, like politics, is local. You may do better with the ML if you KNOW for sure that you have good local MB service.
Sage advice!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Comments about the interior? The CTT looks much nicer with leather dash and alcantara roofing...
Old 01-31-2007, 12:39 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: sacrilegious question: CTT or ML63?

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
And the ONE that I hated the most was the fact that the lowly VW shares the basic structure with it, personally it makes me sick to know that fact, sorry I just can't get over it, I know the Touareg is a really nice car and has a nice interior but VW as a brand rank about the same level as Hyundai in my mind. 80k for a VW? Sorry but I still associate VW with 20-30k Golfs and Jettas.
When I look at a ML63, I see it as sharing the same body as a 40 grand ML350, which I see everyday. everywhere. I also see it as a car made by Chrysler, somewher in Alabama. It's a car made to be a volume seller, and I just can't get very excited about it.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Rider1
Advanced

Originally Posted by racer_65
When I look at a ML63, I see it as sharing the same body as a 40 grand ML350, which I see everyday. everywhere. I also see it as a car made by Chrysler, somewher in Alabama. It's a car made to be a volume seller, and I just can't get very excited about it.
Go for a test drive and then you'll see why some people..hint hint...traded out of the CTT.

Dave
Old 01-31-2007, 02:31 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the ML63 drives very nice, but a brand new '06 CTTS can now be had in the low 90's (a local dealer puts that price right on the window without any negotiation). That's a heck of a deal, and wipes out most of the price advantage of the ML.

Admittedly, I'm highly biased against Mercedes, which explains why I'm in this forum and not the Mercedes forum! I also don't understand why others like it (other members of my family included). I can see how in the old days, Mercedes had a certain mystique to it, but these days, they seem to be mostly in the same business as Lexus and Cadillac.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:18 PM
boybike
Intermediate

Default I am in the same boat

My 04 CS as 48K miles so it is time for a new truck. I also am considering the AMG and the CT. I know will be pretty happy with either (I am not that much of a snob that any 100K car would not be EXCELLENT). Most of the time is highway driving @ 80ish. I like the idea of the better electronics (stuff to the right of the driver) in the ML. I love the fact that there are many less CTs on the road than MB and my service guy knows me very well! I might just be another number at the MB dealership. With 500 horsies, I expect each one to get out of its way when necessary.

decisions...decisions... decisions...

bruce

Quick Reply: sacrilegious question: CTT or ML63?