Sponsored by:

Bambi meets Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bambi meets Cayenne

On the way home from the airport tonoght, I was driving on a back road. Came up over a crest and there were 3 deers in the road. Two were on the right and one was on the left. I went right down the center and would have missed all of them, but one got spooked and darted right in front of the car---Bambi meets Cayenne...the front bumber and spoiler were obliterated. This really sucks.

But, on the positive side, it could be time for an aftermarker bumper/spolier. I happened to spot this bumper/spolier combination on Ebay for a very reasonable price ($1100).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/955-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, see picture below...

Any opinions? Too rice, pretty nice, or any other suggestions?
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2007, 02:54 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Here is another option:

$450 for the OEM Cayenne Turbo fornt bumper assembly, plus

$2400 for the Techart spolier lip and integrated fog lights

here is the picture...
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2007, 04:02 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Is your cayenne lowered with rims? If so, both looks good. If not, I'd stay with original bumper cover or just the turbo's bumper cover w/o the Techart lip.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Cognac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i'm glad to hear you are okay.
however, internal parts will cost you more than oem turbo bumper(just skin).
btw, go with techart and please no hongkong made parts...

but then again, it's your call.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Warranty issues aside, you will generally have a much better fit/finish with OEM parts than aftermarket parts, of course this only matters to the bodyshop doing the install/prep/finish work.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lucky...

had a local in kansas back when i lived there avoid all the nasty body work on the car when the bloody deer jumped before he hit it and it came through the windshield instead. bumpers are replaceable.

although, come to think of it, his wife thought he was too.....
Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. In response:

1. Yes, I think Lewis and Cognac are convincing me--go OEM. I may go with the OEM turbo bumper rather than the S bumper. We'll see. (I am certainly not the poseur type to change my badging to "Turbo," but I do like the more aggressive looking turbo bumper).

2. Cognac, yes I realize there a bunch of internals to replace. Oh boy, do I. Liquid was running out all over the place, and I thought I had punctured the radiator. It was the washer fluid spewing out of the headlamp washer, which is somewhere back on the side of the road. Its kind of a mess of hoses and plastic in there. Also, I looked at my tire and it appeared that the steel belts of the tire were stucking out of the sidewall. Turned out that it was the deer's fur stuck along the crevice where the wheel meets the tire. Looked a little freaky.

3. I am glad I am okay too--there certainly could be worse outcomes as droptop reminds us. Really, this is pretty slight damage that I incurred.

4. You know, all of this is kind of moot anyway because I am planning to purchase a used CTTS or '08 CTT this spring -- if the wife "lets me" (I'm still working it).
Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STATMAN
On the way home from the airport tonoght, I was driving on a back road. Came up over a crest and there were 3 deers in the road. Two were on the right and one was on the left. I went right down the center and would have missed all of them, but one got spooked and darted right in front of the car---Bambi meets Cayenne...the front bumber and spoiler were obliterated. This really sucks.?
Agree with most.. Go OEM. Don't forget the insurance hassle if you don't.. then they do estimates as to costs and extra labor for non-OEM --- so, could be out of YOUR pocket.. and why bother?? PARTICULARILY since you've already decided (wifey will agee :-) to upgrade soon.

Just FWIW, I just missed a 8 or 10 pt. mid-morning on my way to the office af ew weeks back (late frolicing for pansies in someone's backyard?).. Just driving along and he bounded over a fence right in front of me.. maybe 10 feet then bounded to a little hill next to the road.. BRAKE CHECK.. (only going about 30).. I then backed up and he didn't move.. stared at me .. I stared back.. then he lumbered off as if to say, "Hey, man! You can KMA, you're darn lucky I didn't total your front end or come through the windshield!" Once my heart rate was back to normal, I drove off.. that is the second time, I've had a near miss like that.. I hope "3 is NOT the charm" .. Glad you're okay StatMan!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

4. You know, all of this is kind of moot anyway because I am planning to purchase a used CTTS or '08 CTT this spring -- if the wife "lets me" (I'm still working it).
If you will be trading in the vehicle soon, I would suggest just staying with OEM CS grill and parts, just repair it to exactly what it was before.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:14 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Lewis, I think you are convincing me to go completely OEM...but, perhaps I'll go with the clear side markers while the bumper is off and have them paint the black plastic grilles in the bumper to match the body color. These would be relatively minor tweaks that I believe would enhance the aesthetics.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The use of non OEM parts would make the car less desireable to your dealer in trade, due to possible CPO issues.
Both options you discussed can be seen from the factory, so there is no issue.

Besides, as I've said many times before, why put lipstick on a pig? In the end, it's still a pig, just a prettier pig....but yes, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Plus, why spend additional money on a car you will not be keeping much longer?

If you want to compare parts prices that your dealer/shop provides, I would suggest getting part prices from Sunset Imports in Oregon (Porsche parts at cost + 15% guys).

Regarding your future '08 purchase, there are some features/options that were not released with the 08 Cayenne, like PCM3.0, etc.....so if those things are important, you may want to wait a bit. No don't ask your dealer, they have no idea since they're not told about things like this.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:03 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
The use of non OEM parts would make the car less desireable to your dealer in trade, due to possible CPO issues.
Both options you discussed can be seen from the factory, so there is no issue.

Besides, as I've said many times before, why put lipstick on a pig? In the end, it's still a pig, just a prettier pig....but yes, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Plus, why spend additional money on a car you will not be keeping much longer?

If you want to compare parts prices that your dealer/shop provides, I would suggest getting part prices from Sunset Imports in Oregon (Porsche parts at cost + 15% guys).

Regarding your future '08 purchase, there are some features/options that were not released with the 08 Cayenne, like PCM3.0, etc.....so if those things are important, you may want to wait a bit. No don't ask your dealer, they have no idea since they're not told about things like this.
I have a private buyer interested in my "pig," so trade in to the dealer is probably not an issue. But, your points are well taken. Maybe I have had a good dose of the Kool Aid, but these are beautiful pigs that have carried forward the 911 lines and family resemblance. These are flying pigs that are the fastest SUVs on the planet. These are pigs that can forge most any slop that winter or any other inclement weather dishes out. Okay, back to the trough for another round....thanks Lewis(!)
Old 02-02-2007, 11:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I.....but these are beautiful pigs that have carried forward the 911 lines and family resemblance.....thanks Lewis(!)
You had me right up until 911 lines and family resemblance.

#1: The 911 is dead
#2: The Cayenne has the highest % VAG content (or if you prefer, the lowest % of Porsche content) of any "Porsche".
#3: Dr W. scared most of the Porsche owners by threatening the end of the 911 as we know it (see #1 above) unless he built the Cayenne. It worked.

Ferdinand must be spinning in his grave.

How I miss Larry......
Old 02-03-2007, 12:29 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

IMHO most of those aftermarket bumpers etc look hideous and VERY ricey. You could get the stainless front underpanel which would set it off a little and is still OEM. But if you're selling it anyway, why bother- just go OEM.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:29 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad your ok man... I agree with SKL.. just buy the OEM sport aerokit

Quick Reply: Bambi meets Cayenne