Sponsored by:

Wheel damage!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:53 PM
CJack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel damage!

Son of a... I HAD to go wash the Pepper today and I just HAD to take it to one of those self wash drive thru's (Laziness). SO as I carefully drove out watching the driver's side, I felt the SUV jerk just a little...OH SH##!!! I jump out and my worst fear confirmed...those nice new sport technos, the right rear took a direct hit from the wheel guide bar in the carwash. OK so the scratch was about 3/4 of an inch, but it may as well have been a foot long.

OK so after wiping the water from my eyes (cause by the overspray from the car being washed next to me of course ), I called my dealer and he said all was good, that can be repaired. And as I have seen on the forums I guess it can...BUT from all that I have seen, no one has taken a direct hit on the lip of their rim, only on the side.

Again the damage is mor on the lip of the rim, Has anyone had a chip taken out of the lip? Guess I'm concerned that when I get tires replaced, that area will always have to be repaired...

You can find me at the bar...
Old 02-04-2007, 12:16 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Check in your area for a franchise of a wheel repair service- you may get a name from a dealer. We used one here to repair a Audi S4 wheel and a 996 C4S wheel. They have an enclosed trailer with a small paint booth and tire removal machine etc and do it on site. Pretty slick- took about an hour. They can match pretty much any factory silver finish- our guy didn't do chrome wheels though. Sorry I can't remember the name of the place- something like wheelrepair.com. Maybe a google of wheel repair will find it. I was pleasantly surprised...
Old 02-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Cognac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/w...uff-repair.htm

Old 02-04-2007, 11:39 AM
sigs
Racer

My experience with the guys who come by in trailers has been less than stellar. While the repair and paint has looked pretty good, they don't have a curing oven on those trailers to bake on the paint and the clearcoat the way they do at the factory or at a good wheel repair shop. I'd ask around to find a good shop with full facilities.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 PM
CJack
Intermediate

Thanks gang. Like I said...its small, almost like a bite mark on the top of the lip. Not on the side like most I have seen. Wife said, stop the whining, but it's BIG to me (Like if I had a little extra I'd just go get a new wheel). Plus she'd SH## if her Boxster got a scratch on it! (HA) Anyway, got an appointment for the dealer set up Wednesday...they said "DON'T sweat it" ...their guy is "really good..."

I'll let you know!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:23 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

www.fixrim.com........... $125 and it's perfect.

My dealer uses them for all their wheel work.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Phil S
Advanced

I don't know where you are located, but Wheel Enhancement in Culver City, CA (www.wheelenhancement.com) can fix your wheel. I also damaged a 10X20" Sport Techo rear wheel. I wasn't convinced that I wanted a repaired wheel, so I bought a new wheel. After the fact I took the damaged wheel (about 3" of curb rash along the edge) to them to see about getting it fixed. I thought I could keep it as a spare or sell it after getting it repaired.

It turned out great. The wheel looks absolutely brand new. No sign of any repair done. It cost $200.00, but it was well worth it. I still haven't decided if I am going to keep it as a spare or sell it.

Phil
Old 02-10-2007, 04:46 PM
deons
Instructor

I have done the repair in http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/...cuff-repair.htm as Cognac pointed out to one of my Lamborghini wheels a year ago. This was lip damage as well. I had tires replaced about three months ago and the cuff did not show up. Most expense part was to get a can of paint matched to the wheel. $9.99

Deon.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:34 PM
CJack
Intermediate

Hey gang...thanks for all the replies. Got it back from the dealer and its flawless! Scott C. you were right on the money... Boardwalk has some great wheel folks. Now I won't twist off (Too much) if I mess up a wheel.

Quick Reply: Wheel damage!