Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long to replace engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:04 AM
hamiam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is in NYC and the oil was changed at the recommended time. As for being "lucky" to drive a base model; I was told I would get a porsche loaner anytime the car was in for service. Have to respectively disagree with the guys who believe I'm lucky to have a loaner or lucky to have the engine replaced by the warranty. Last time I checked, I paid in the neighborhood of $67k for what is consider a luxury good. Part of that initial cost is for the warranty, the superior customer service, etc. Again, I dont intend to offend anyone here but your standards and expectations are too low. You have paid a PREMIUM price and thus are - yes - ENTITLED to a superior product and superior service. Im happy with the way the dealer has treated me thus far but the base model simply doesnt compare to the S. We only use the car on the weekends and such so, yes, I'd rather not have the base model, have them pay my $1400/month payment and rent a car when I need it.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:14 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't argue with your logic. you are however in near unique position as far as Dealers are concerned, most do not give Porsche loaners, the best I ever had was an A6 the worst a Rabbit. My dealer is also VWAudi.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:11 AM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by hamiam
You have paid a PREMIUM price and thus are - yes - ENTITLED to a superior product and superior service.
I totally agree with you on this point but I don't know how far it can be extended on the loaner front. I've got a CT so the dealers would have to have nothing but CT loaners to cover me as well as CS and C owners just on the engine front. What about a Carrera GT owner? I guess they could also have one CT and one GT and let us schedule around each other for service (or choose to take a lower model loaner).

It's my understanding that the manufacturers only cover part of the cost for a loaner (and only while it's under warranty). On top of that I've been told the dealers don't get breaks on loaner vehicle prices. I'm running into more and more shops (Porsche and Mercedes) that don't use their own brand for loaners. The loaner process is managed by Enterprise (who tries to push extra insurance on you at the last minute) and I've never even gotten a VW from them.

Any time I've brought in my high-end model (be it Mercedes or Porsche) the best I've ever gotten has been a low-end loaner: A4 wagon, C-class, v6 ML, CS (only when the C wasn't out). As much as I dislike it I've actually switched from a dealer that provides Porsche/Audi loaners to one that uses Enterprise for loaners because of the superior service in the shop.

The thing that bothers me the most is the safety factor (which some would say fits with your engine concern) which extends down the tires for me. It will always bother me when I bring in a heavy vehicle with winter tires and get an Enterprise tin can rental that can barely stop at a light with just a little snow on the ground.

In my case it’s getting to the point where I'd rather just drive my other vehicle for extended service periods. For you it's probably best to bring it up with your dealer and let them know your feelings and desired solution. Given my loaner experience your dealer maybe thinking that you're happy putting miles on the loaner it and not your own vehicle.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:38 PM
seedvila
Instructor

Once a car hits a certain mileage figure (10,000 IIRC), it can no longer be sold as "new". This has a lot to do with the availability of a Porsche loaner. Also, my dealer has maybe 10-15 in their inventory at any given time. I can't foresee them taking a car off the line anytime in the future for use as a service loaner.

Granted, we paid $73k for our CS, but I guess I'm just one of those people that appreciate the fact that a loaner was even made available. The majority of dealerships don't offer one. I don't ask how much a gift cost, either.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by seedvila
I'm just one of those people that appreciate the fact that a loaner was even made available. The majority of dealerships don't offer one. I don't ask how much a gift cost, either.
Excellent point. While I would like a "equal to or greater than" loaner that some are so chapped they didn't get one, the car's are not called courtesy cars for no reason. They are a courtesy, be glad you even had a P-Car to drive as a loaner. Some of the entitlement that I see around here is just the very reason people can't stand the P-Car owner. Heck, when my car is in for service I just ask for a ride home and drive one of my other cars for the time the car is being serviced.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:50 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default porsche

has a loaner program with their dealers, not all participate. i have gotten anywhere from a cayenne 6 to "go get your own". had they been able to fix it, i wouldn't have minded so much, renting a car for a week to have yours "not fixed" is adding insult to injury.

you can "EXPECT" anything, just be prepared to be disappointed.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree, your fortunate to be able to get a Cayenne loaner, where do you draw the line as to the cost of a vehicle in comparison to a loaner of equal value? You don't see the Ferrari and Lambo dealer's offering loaners, nor do we see guys that dished out $300+k complaining they didn't get a lambo loaner?
So why should Porsche owners bitch so much? From my experience of owning many different cars, BMW, VW, Mercedes, & Porsches, Porsche is by far the most lenient when it comes to warranty issues. My dealer goes over and beyond normal practices for warranty issues with my Porsches, and yes they give me a $50 a day rental car from Enterprise, and I don't complain about it.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:54 AM
seedvila
Instructor

I enjoy the opportunity to test drive what's out there in the automotive world. I've been given loaners that represent all the different classes...Subaru Outback, Cadillac STS, Jeep Commander, and my personal nomination for the "Ugliest Car in it's Class" award, a Nissan Murano.

After I get my P-car car back from the dealer, it makes me realize that it truly is an exhilirating ride despite all the quirks and annoyances.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:02 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wow

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
From my experience of owning many different cars, BMW, VW, Mercedes, & Porsches, Porsche is by far the most lenient when it comes to warranty issues.
well, there goes any thought i might have had of owning a BMW, VW, or Mercedes.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
seedvila
Instructor

Quick Reply: How long to replace engine?