Sponsored by:

How long to replace engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:03 PM
hamiam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long to replace engine?

As per previous thread, the rings on my 2005 CS engine went. Car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now and the "parts from Germany" still have not arrived. On the plus side I do have a base model cayenne to drive on the flip side, im paying car payments on an "S" and driving a non-S. Any thoughts on how long this shud take and if im entitled to additional compensation?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hamiam
As per previous thread, the rings on my 2005 CS engine went. Car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now and the "parts from Germany" still have not arrived. On the plus side I do have a base model cayenne to drive on the flip side, im paying car payments on an "S" and driving a non-S. Any thoughts on how long this shud take and if im entitled to additional compensation?
Is your car by chance in Long Island?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:58 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How do you compare the loaner with the one in the hospital? At least you are not adding miles to your truck.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 PM
charlieXS
Pro

don't pull out onto a busy street in that CV6... you might get run over.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

im paying car payments on an "S" and driving a non-S. Any thoughts on how long this shud take and if im entitled to additional compensation?
Entitled? That is just an arrogant elitist statement. Be thankful that you at least got a "comparable" car to drive while your car is being fixed. Not too many dealers stock P-Cars as loaners.

As for your engine. Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully the new one is stronger and of course, trouble free.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually talk to your dealer and let them know you are not pleased to be paying for something sitting for almost a month in the shop.

Some will pay if it's been in the shop longer than a month, basically your monthly payment.

Otherwise as LVDell said, you have a Cayenne as a loaner so I would leave it be.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
ozr
Racer

Lightbulb

...IF ALL PARTS (engine &etc...) are in the US, then whey should normally swap engine in 5 business days,...or 10 bus. days at MAX!!!...

...parts shipment from the "motherland" takes it's charge, also US dealer lazyness adds more...

Good luck and stay optimistic,

OZRacing
Old 03-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Is this a common thing among Cayennes to have such major problems so early? I have never really read to much about them so this is concerning to me that a new Porsche like this is having so many problems. Is this something that was corrected later in the Cayennes development?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vino
Actually talk to your dealer and let them know you are not pleased to be paying for something sitting for almost a month in the shop.

Some will pay if it's been in the shop longer than a month, basically your monthly payment.

Otherwise as LVDell said, you have a Cayenne as a loaner so I would leave it be.
I can't imagine any dealer paying your monthly payment. Why would they give you a loaner then? But I do agree with you about letting the dealer know how pissed you are. If this is a case of the engine taking longer to get in than expected all it takes is some simple communication to make everybody happy.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its not common this is only the 4-5 cayenne engine ive heard of being replaced

waiting is half the fun of owning a german car, parts sure as hell dont come from kansas

dont take it out on the dealer, its not their fault, call porsche if your upset, the dealer has no control over getting parts
Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 538 Posts

You are lucky to be driving a Cayenne loaner, V6 or not. I always got a Pontiac Grand Am as a loaner when I took mine in for service as the dealer is also a Pontiac dealer. Took about a 1/2 mile from the dealer to know why GM is such trouble... the last time I got a Subaru Outback (they are also a Subaru dealer) and it wasn't a bad vehicle and MILES ahead of the Pontiac...
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

So did you toast your engine or did they catch the rings in time. By chance do you remember what your oil consumption was like. Were you blowing smoke when you started the car when cold. Also, did you VIN# fit into the range of the TSB that talked about the rings put on upside down.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow - 30k on mine and runs better than the day I purchased it...

You guys are starting to scare me...

Old 03-16-2007, 09:49 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I was in a dealership in LI where a CS was getting its engine replaced. (Thus the question above). The mechanic blamed owner neglect on account of not changing the oil... as the reason for engine failure. The mechanic said that is was so bad that all the cylinders were scored. Sorry I couldn't see the original engine, as it had already been shipped back to Germany (and there was a brand new GT3RS next to the Cayenne distracting me!)
Old 03-16-2007, 10:11 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default check

the lemon laws in your state. in arkansas, being out of service 30 days is one of the triggers for the lemon law. it may be time to get serious about it. OTOH, your cayenne (of any flavor) beats the altima i got a couple of times and certainly beats me having to rent something myself the other time.

as a side note, i think the "owner neglect" diagnosis needs to be viewed with a couple of pounds of salt. with M1 0w-40, while the recommended service interval is 20k, it could probably be taken to 30-35k without getting into trouble and probably 50k before oil related failure kicked in. so if the owner changed the oil ONCE, and the car has less than 50k miles on it, we can discount that diagnosis (although it leaves porsche in the clear).

Quick Reply: How long to replace engine?