Sponsored by:

About to take plunge and could use advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to take plunge and could use advice

OK, in spite of seeing some issues on alpha and beta models I am about ready to order an 08 CT. I read all the consumer reports, searched through the forum, Drove Lexus LX, GX, Ford Heavy duty pickup, Chevy Trailblazer SS (fun!), Chevy Tahoe, Q7 and none of them measured up to the CT. The prices were also much less of course.
I am a Northwest General Building Contractor that uses the car for work (job sites) play (snow skiilng, boat towing over mountain passes (#5200 boat)), general transportation of building materials and recreational travel. We are empty nesters and live in a condo so cannot deal with large vehicles or multiple vehicles. Any other suggestions as far as suitable vehicle?
If not, this is what I am thinking: (Please let me know if I missed a good option or if one of the options I selected is not appropriate)

2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo with Meteor Grey Metallic Exterior, Black interior leather, Steel Grey rooflining, Black Carpet
trailer hitch
pcm offroad navigation
7xa rear camera/ park assist
ph4 Dark Wood Pack
otd/afv Floor and Cargo Mats
poa4 Light Comfort
qr1 Compass Display
qv4 Satellite Radio
qaw Dynamic Chassis Control
3fu Pano Roof
4f6 Porsche entry and drive
7ve pre heater with timer
9ah 4 zone ac
3gn Cargo management system
3x1 Ski Bag
3y4 Sunscreen roll up
9ja Non Smoker Package
aad Air Intakes Painted Body color
ona Delete model designation

The MSRP for this is $112 K they are offering $1500 off
I drive the cars 6-10 years and well over 100K miles. I have never paid for an extended warrantee but I am considering the extended warrantee for this car.
Any comments and or advice would be welcome
Thanks in advance,
Old 04-02-2007, 12:46 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leek
OK, in spite of seeing some issues on alpha and beta models I am about ready to order an 08 CT. I read all the consumer reports, searched through the forum, Drove Lexus LX, GX, Ford Heavy duty pickup, Chevy Trailblazer SS (fun!), Chevy Tahoe, Q7 and none of them measured up to the CT. The prices were also much less of course.......................
The MSRP for this is $112 K they are offering $1500 off
I drive the cars 6-10 years and well over 100K miles. I have never paid for an extended warrantee but I am considering the extended warrantee for this car.
Any comments and or advice would be welcome
Thanks in advance,
You've done your homework and I honestly think it will fit your needs very well. The only issue with the Turbo is of course the oil consumption and the potential problem with lighting on your towed trailers/boats, etc.

Come on in the water is warm... I'm like you in that I keep vehicle 100K or more although some years it has only taken my 3 years to get there. I would NOT recommend being "naked" and the investment of several thousand for that extra 50K will pay off.. only issue would be checking the fine print on towing voiding any part of the warranty etc.

p.s. you sure the increased HP on a S isn't sufficient?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Good choice on a heavily optioned CTT. I had my CS for almost 4 years with no major issue and on waitlist for a new CTT as well.

Only complaint is that I wish the trunk space to be bigger sometimes. Not sure if it is adequate to hold your building materials.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:00 AM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

The only potential issue may be the boat. If it's 5200 lbs dry, then you'd have to add substantially more weight given fuel, gear and trailer. I'd bet the trailer for that would weigh almost 2000 lb. Most of the hard-core boaters warn against getting too close to the tow capacity, usually suggesting something like a 20% cushion after considering all the combined weight. While I have no doubt that the Cayenne can handle your boat, I'd be a bummer if you had an issue with your transmission. Just playing devil's advocate.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:23 AM
rowlands57
Intermediate

Default Non-smokers package - not the best idea

Sorry that I ordered this as there is no 'power outet' anywhere near the driver with this option. I would prefer to have the smaller ash tray with power outlet rather than the semi-useless drawer that replaces the ash try with the non-smoker package.
JR
Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

You probably won't have any issues with lighting with a boat trailer- not as many running lights. Also with an open trailer the mirrors aren't as big an issue as with an enclosed trailer. I usually towed an enclosed trailer and the mirror were a BIG issue but I towed an open trailer a couple times and it was a piece of cake. As noted above, the only issue is the weight but a TT will have plenty of power-just get an extended warrany if possible to protect your transmission...
Old 04-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rowlands57
Sorry that I ordered this as there is no 'power outet' anywhere near the driver with this option. I would prefer to have the smaller ash tray with power outlet rather than the semi-useless drawer that replaces the ash try with the non-smoker package.
JR
Are you aware that there are two power outlets in the passenger footwell.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:59 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shamus
they're about 3 inches below the plastic trim and are well-cut as flaps in the carpet... plus they're pretty well camoflouged.. they're great for charging and doing all kinds of things when you don't have a pax to kick the cords!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:21 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

The 5200 # is boat, including engine and trailer. The trailer weights 1080 #. Thanks for the input,
Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 PM
rowlands57
Intermediate

Default I am aware of that - however

Originally Posted by Shamus
Have you tried to plug in a phone charger from the drivers seat using one of those outlets? I have to use the one's at the rear of the center console instead but this is still a rather inconvenient design as far as I am concerned.

I just find it hard to fathom that there is not one outlet within easy reach of the driver for uses like the occasional need for a cell phone charger. Every other car on the planet has a simple to reach outlet and I was trying to alert the original poster to this 'odditly' on the non-smokers package. If I had it to do over again I would certainly skip the non-smokers package as I deem it completely useless.

JR
Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Phil S
Advanced

Originally Posted by MadFox
The only issue with the Turbo is of course the oil consumption
Got around 4000 miles on my Turbo and I have only used 3/4 quart of oil. And that was in the first 1500 miles. No oil needed since then.

So, oil consumption isn't necessarily a problem with all turbos.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:00 AM
charlieXS
Pro

how barbaric... outlets behind carpet flaps?? And let me guess... once you lift the flaps they probably stick up all ugly from then on?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:55 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

I'd also nix the non-smoker package. I don't even bother using the 2 outlets in the passenger footwell. I end up keeping my phone charger in the rear footwell, using the left outlet on the back of the center console. At least it's within reach.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:40 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

For the sake of future owners and for you, get the preinstalled phone option. You don't have to use it, but the retrofit is a PITA and a very expensive proposition.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:23 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all of you who responded. I ordered the car today. And I did keep the ash tray and power point in the order. I am doing additional research on phone infrastructure. And you are right I did not need the Turbo power but loading up an S with similar options I got to within 10K or so of the Turbo; not enough difference in $ to make me go with the S. You only live once
Looking forward to August or Sept delivery

Quick Reply: About to take plunge and could use advice