Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flats with 20" sport technos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:41 AM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Run flats with 20" sport technos?

Has anyone tried run flat tires on their cayenne? I have a cayenne turboS with 20" sport techno wheels. I have started taking longer trips in more remote areas, and getting a flat would not be fun. Anyone tried them?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Run flats are getting better, but still don't handle as well, make more noise and aren't as comfortable as conventional tires.

Also, in an off-road situation, a run-flat will not necessarily get you out of trouble.

The only real solution is at least one full-size spare (on a rear swing-arm or on the roof.) And a handful of fix-a-flat cans.

In another vehicle (Range Rover) I carried two full spares and two spare tires (unmounted) and ended up not using one of them. : ) But this was in reaction to a previous trip with a group where I carried only the one full-size spare and used it, but another vehicle went through three flats and we ended up leaving the vehicle to go for repairs (and wasted about four days of a three week trip in the process.)

In terms of "off road 101" as soon as you get the first flat, anticipate more flats if you don't figure out the cause of the first one and adjust accordingly.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:34 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't you have a blow up spare under the cover on the floor of the cargo area, and a hose under the rear seat to inflate it from a connector under the passengers front seat ? My CTT has the 20" Sport Techno wheels and I have a inflatable spare. You should Take a look and see if their is a tire and rim in your storage area.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:13 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SJOHN
Don't you have a blow up spare under the cover on the floor of the cargo area, and a hose under the rear seat to inflate it from a connector under the passengers front seat ? My CTT has the 20" Sport Techno wheels and I have a inflatable spare. You should Take a look and see if their is a tire and rim in your storage area.
No spare in my turboS. That area has the subwoofer for the Bose stereo.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Phil S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
No spare in my turboS. That area has the subwoofer for the Bose stereo.
Wonder why the Turbo S wouldn't have a spare? I have a 2005 Turbo that came with the 20" Sport Technos from the factory and I have a space-saver spare and a sub-woofer in the compartment. Maybe the space-saver spare won't clear the larger brakes on the Turbo S. I know that there are two versions of the Sport Technos. The earlier ones were 9" wide front and back and later versions were 9" in the front and 10" in the rear to handle the larger Turbo S brakes.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

If you look at the order guide, the wider rear wheels was an option (CY3) and not part of the Turbo S equipment. At least that's was I was told by a dealer who I trust to usually know the details on all the models over the years. And I saw several Turbo S cars but didn't see one with wider wheels (easily spotted by the numbers forged into the rim next to the valve stem.)

The E81 and S require "19 inch wheels 'with clearance'" for the brake calipers (suggesting not all 19's have adequate clearance.) So I think it's a fair guess that the compact spares don't clear the brakes.

As far as I know, all Cayennes with PASM have a Schraeder valve accessible from under the front passenger seat. Has anyone found a nice hose to use as a transfer line?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
sigs
Racer

Correct, compact spares will not clear the brakes on the E81 or TurboS. Only choice is to haul around a full-size spare, which means either the very expensive swing arm or hoisting one up onto a somewhat less expensive roof carrier. Other option is to eat up lots of cargo space. Many folks voice concerns over that approach, since there are no anchoring points with connection to anything substantive and, in a crash, the spare becomes a dangerous projectile. Funny how those same people don't have nearly as much concern about slinging in several suitcases of similar weight and density and taking off without lashing them down. Seems to me that somebody smarter than I could design a fold-down frame that fits into the trailer hitch receiver like a bike carrier. If more stability was needed, quick release straps could be run up to the roof bars, with appropriate padding.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:32 PM
henna gaijin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sigs
Seems to me that somebody smarter than I could design a fold-down frame that fits into the trailer hitch receiver like a bike carrier.
Do you mean something like this?

Bonarue II Spare Tire Carrier

HTH
Old 05-07-2007, 03:10 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by henna gaijin

HTH
Bingo! Any personal experience with this on the Cayenne? I had a similar product on an old Range Rover years ago, but, for stability with heavier tires, it had a bracket across the bottom with tabs that fit into slotted brackets that had to be welded up under the bumper.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henna gaijin

HTH
TFTL !

I'd completely forgotten about this thing. I had a similar design years ago. It had a "riser" (a hitch adapter to get it up off the ground so it doesn't change the rear approach angle) and it was pretty good. Still a bit "wobbly" but very good solution for temporary needs, trips or whatever.

Here's a more "off road" design
http://www.truckcandy.com/TC/TireGat...tire_carrier_b
that can be adapted for a hi-lift and gas cans.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Phil S
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If you look at the order guide, the wider rear wheels was an option (CY3) and not part of the Turbo S equipment. At least that's was I was told by a dealer who I trust to usually know the details on all the models over the years. And I saw several Turbo S cars but didn't see one with wider wheels (easily spotted by the numbers forged into the rim next to the valve stem.)
The 2006 Turbo S came standard with 20" Sport Techno Wheels Front 9JX20 Rear 10JX20 and 275/40R20 tires. I am reading this from an order guide I have in my hand. There is no CY3 option in the guide.

The only wheel options for the Turbo S were:

CS5 20" Cayenne Sport Design Wheel 9X20" 275/40R on all four wheels

CY4 20" Sport Techno (Painted) Front 9" Rear 10"

Phil
Old 05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
sigs
Racer

TFTL !

Here's a more "off road" design
http://www.truckcandy.com/TC/TireGat...tire_carrier_b
that can be adapted for a hi-lift and gas cans.
Even better
Like the riser for better departure angle. Much like my ancient one, but more refined. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phil S
The 2006 Turbo S came standard with 20" Sport Techno Wheels Front 9JX20 Rear 10JX20 and 275/40R20 tires. I am reading this from an order guide I have in my hand. There is no CY3 option in the guide.

The only wheel options for the Turbo S were:

CS5 20" Cayenne Sport Design Wheel 9X20" 275/40R on all four wheels

CY4 20" Sport Techno (Painted) Front 9" Rear 10"

Phil
Is there a Turbo S order guide? I see you're in CA -- this was for the US market? I have only seen a Cayenne order guide. And it has CY3 and CY4 (same, but painted.) I checked one zero mile Turbo S and it had 9's on the rear. I guess I could rummage around in the PET and see if it sheds any light. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Phil S
Advanced

Is there a Turbo S order guide? I see you're in CA -- this was for the US market? I have only seen a Cayenne order guide. And it has CY3 and CY4 (same, but painted.) I checked one zero mile Turbo S and it had 9's on the rear. I guess I could rummage around in the PET and see if it sheds any light. Thanks.
Here is the front page of the 2006 Cayenne Turbo S order guide. I don't know why you would find a Turbo S with a 9" Sport Techno wheel on the rear since they came standard with a 10" wide wheel.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Run flats with 20" sport technos?