Sponsored by:

Has anyone attempted this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:11 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Has anyone attempted this?

Hello everyone. After 1 solid week with our new CTT, I'm happy to report that it's officially love. However, being a bit of a tinkerer, and believing that every vehicle needs a little bit of personalization to become truly 'your own', I had an idea. As you'll see below, we've got an all-silver CTT. It occurred to me that things might look a little more aggressive with B and C Pillar covers from the trim blackout option that Porsche offers. A quick call to SunCoast confirmed these pieces are available individually, so they are now on order.

My question is; has anyone attempted to change the C-Pillar covers? The B's are a snap since that hardware is accessible, but the C's look like I might need to gain access through the exterior trim. Does anyone have a Service Manual or url to one? Even better, any experience with this mod? Below are some photoshop images of what I'm anticipating this to look like. The rear 3/4 shot I darkened the windows for greater effect, although I wouldn't do that in reality.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Anyone?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my car, I tried to get the dealer to do it. They said it was prohibitively expensive to change ALL of the trips from a labor perspective. Remember that you also need to change the back and the window trim... Sportec sells carbon replacements as well. It was described as a exterior total car dismantling. The parts are cheap..., same at the external spare and integrated phone...the parts are cheap but the install is a killer.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:51 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I looked into this.

The pillars between the front/rear door are easy and take little time.

The rear units require removal of the window glass as the trim is attached via the rubber molding.

A body shop can do it but it may cost several hours on labor.

In the end, I bagged it and left it alone.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:46 AM
henna gaijin
Intermediate

The blacked out B/C pillars make it look more like a Touareg ...

Old 05-12-2007, 04:07 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henna gaijin
The blacked out B/C pillars make it look more like a Touareg ...

That was a secondary reason for not pursuing it.

On a black Cayenne, the blackout look (pillars and trim) is awesome
Old 05-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Hello everyone. After 1 solid week with our new CTT, I'm happy to report that it's officially love. However, being a bit of a tinkerer, and believing that every vehicle needs a little bit of personalization to become truly 'your own', I had an idea. As you'll see below, we've got an all-silver CTT. It occurred to me that things might look a little more aggressive with B and C Pillar covers from the trim blackout option that Porsche offers. A quick call to SunCoast confirmed these pieces are available individually, so they are now on order.

My question is; has anyone attempted to change the C-Pillar covers? The B's are a snap since that hardware is accessible, but the C's look like I might need to gain access through the exterior trim. Does anyone have a Service Manual or url to one? Even better, any experience with this mod? Below are some photoshop images of what I'm anticipating this to look like. The rear 3/4 shot I darkened the windows for greater effect, although I wouldn't do that in reality.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Anyone?

i think it looks great on the silver exterior.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

IB... Looks great

The black out option was liste on my window sticker for $320.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2007, 11:12 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. I think it looks great too. Of course this is all a matter of taste, but if people actually confuse me with a Touareg, well then that's the worst anyone could say of this mod, which isn't so bad in my book.

Yetis- I'm not planning on changing the trim around the windows, just the B and C pillar covers. If the rear window needs to be removed though, then I may have vinyl appliques made instead.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more feedback from members.

Thanks everyone so far, -Mike
Old 05-13-2007, 10:57 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would go the vinyl route. That way, if you change your mind later, you can easily remove the stuff and all you have to do is deal with is cleaning some adhesive residue.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:05 PM
cbditty
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i got the parts in the mail today, as stated before the B pillars are easy stuff

the C pillar appears to have a hole in its single bracket which is probably for some type of screw. doesnt look like there is anyway to get to the screw without removing that rear window. anyone out there with a definite answer??

if the glass has gotta come out im gonna have to send these things back
Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 AM
JRCTT
Instructor

I had my C pillars done at the dealer recently and it is a definite on the window removal. I want to do the exact same thing and will probably end up buying the $99 carbon fiber covers on ebay...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this mod doesn't do that much for a silver car. On your car, the first thing I would do is to update the exhaust tips to the round type like those on the Turbo S. It's a 10 minute job on your car, and makes a big difference visually IMHO.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racer_65
I think this mod doesn't do that much for a silver car. On your car, the first thing I would do is to update the exhaust tips to the round type like those on the Turbo S. It's a 10 minute job on your car, and makes a big difference visually IMHO.
I think it looks okay, ibmiked. My problem is with your parking job. You'e just begging for a ding from the next beige Buick that pulls in on your passenger side.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:55 PM
pokerjarvis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I'd posted on another forum.....

Unfortunately, there's just no easy (or cheap) way to complete this mod without cutting some serious corners. There are 3 ways to try to accomplish the 'black out'; all have their disadvantages. 1) Stick on car parts or trim covered with vinyl just seems a bit cheesey, IMHO and would likely fail the test of time. 2) Purchasing all of the parts (6 pieces for each side, 12 in all) plus the install labor runs the price right up there. 3) You can go to a body shop, have them R&I + refinish all 12 pieces. which is very labor intensive (2.0 hrs each to R&I the quarter panel glass to access the C pillar alone), add clear coat, material, etc. and you're facing a 4-digit job.

The expense continues if you then choose to black out the door handles, lower door molding, liftgate molding....blah blah blah

I love the look of the black out, especially on black cars, but I'm just not sure it's worth the dough.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Frutti_pig
Advanced

Hi, I was wondering if you had this modification done? I'm looking to do the same and wondered if you could offer any hints or tips?

Thanks Frutti

Quick Reply: Has anyone attempted this?