CAYENNE OWNERS THAT HAVE NEVER HAD COILS

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lic265
Can you have a bad coil if there is no fault code?
YES!

From what my dealer told me - you need multiple misfires to trigger and engine light/code.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:32 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

'04 CS, no coils yet, 28.5k mi.

HOWEVER - every once in a while I will get a brief misfire sitting at idle. It is very sporadic, but I am watching all these comments with interest. I am into my ext warranty (3rd party) so when coil time comes I will have a good chance to test it.

Really looking forward to that.

No driveability problems, other than the standard issues with the tranny program that second-guesses your will to motivate.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:34 PM
DMD
Intermediate

Will someone please describe exactly what the "coils" are? My car suffers from many of the symptoms described in this thread and I would like to sound semi-intelligent when I as my dealer to fix the problem.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 PM
HD2pct
Pro

DMD, if you say "coils" they will know what you mean. If they don't, well....get in your car and get the hell out of there.

They are the individual ignition coils that are physically attached to each plug.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HD2pct
every once in a while I will get a brief misfire sitting at idle. It is very sporadic, but I am watching all these comments with interest. I am into my ext warranty (3rd party) so when coil time comes I will have a good chance to test it.
That's it - get it fixed now before your warranty drops dead!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 PM
HD2pct
Pro

JF , I agree. What is weird is that I will be on one trip where it happens a dozen times and another where I never sense any issues at all.

My dilemma is that I am pretty sure that factory has run out as of July, and EasyCare ext warranty is in. That means that if all goes smoothly, they would replace one.

Then in 5 months they would replace 3.

Then in 12 months they would replace 2. You get the point.

I am hoping that the dealer will cut me some slack, but it's doubtful.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:43 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Our Rockville dealer told me that "Porsche will now replace one - if the car comes back with another bad one they will then replace the rest of the seven"...

Old 08-18-2007, 12:52 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Our Rockville dealer told me that "Porsche will now replace one - if the car comes back with another bad one they will then replace the rest of the seven"...

Well, that provides a roadmap! Worst case, I have "one", based on my symptoms. They can do that when they do the PCM upgrade,.

When I take it back and the house is still not in order, we'll push for 7 more.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:03 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the techs have been directed to replace all coils if they are the 00 part number, if one is bad. Cant remember if thats the same for 01 PN.

Mark
Old 08-18-2007, 09:28 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by marky522
Actually the techs have been directed to replace all coils if they are the 00 part number, if one is bad. Cant remember if thats the same for 01 PN.

Mark
I hope that is the case! It does make business sense for Porsche in a number of respects.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 PM
BinNY
Intermediate

I think you guys jinxed me. I came around a corner, in too high of a gear of course due to the fine adaptive throttle, stepped on it and my car stuttered like mad for a couple of seconds. Does this sound like a coil problem? I noticed on the way home the vehicle didn't seem to be pulling very hard under acceleration (I have a 2004 CTT with just under 30K miles). BTW, I've been getting a message that the car is due for service in 1700 miles, but I am not due for service until 40,000 miles(?). Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BinNY
BTW, I've been getting a message that the car is due for service in 1700 miles, but I am not due for service until 40,000 miles(?). Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Known issue. Your dealer will clear the "Service in xxx miles" msg in about 30 seconds.
There are Cayennes coming off the truck, brand new, that display the same message. Normally cleared/reset at PDI, port or dealer.

Yes, it's on the "list of things to do", but don't count on it getting done, remember, profits, profits and profits.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 AM
HD2pct
Pro

I came around a corner, in too high of a gear of course due to the fine adaptive throttle, stepped on it and my car stuttered like mad for a couple of seconds.
I think what you have experienced is PSM trying to show how "smart" it is. That can be maddening and in my mind, a little dangerous. If it "stuttered" as opposed to simply hesitated, you might ask the dealer to reset the transmission control program.

At least that is my experience. Others may disagree.

You'd probably be more likely to feel a coil issue at idle because misfires are more easily detected then.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 PM
BinNY
Intermediate

Thanks. Something strange is going on. I went out to the car this morning and it was completely dead. Neither FOB would open the doors. I opened the door with the key and tried to turn the car over -- all that happened is that the key will not come out. Porsche roadside is towing it to Pepe in White Plains. I think it is just the battery but they want to tow it in anyway.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche roadside is towing it to Pepe in White Plains. I think it is just the battery but they want to tow it in anyway.
My condolences re: Pepe Porsche ... pray that it IS the battery and not something a bit more complex. They're not too good with fixing things, in my experience.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE OWNERS THAT HAVE NEVER HAD COILS