Sponsored by:

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Stone43
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter

Has anyone tried these on the Cayenne? Any noticeable differences as claimed (better power, better fuel economy).

I ran one of these on my 911 and never noticed much of a difference.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Be very careful about having too much oil; re: MAF/CEL issues.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:42 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ok once more, and then i am out.

k&n is mostly a marketing company. there are several tests of air filters on the web (mostly by BMW guys) that show that a good quality pleated paper filter has less pressure drop than a k&n. the filter for the cayennes is very good, and the intake is designed properly.

second, go to the BITOG site, and you will find that most of the amateur tribologists there can tell if a car has a k&n on it just by looking at the oil analysis. nothing comes for free, and to let air through really easily on a filter element of about 100 sq*in you can't really filter it that well (mostly get the feathers and golf ***** and let everything else through). a pleated paper filter achieves the better filtration and less pressure drop because in the same size space it puts all those pleats. if you take one apart, and stretch it out, you can have up to 10 square FEET of media.

so, no better pressure drop, less filtration to help kill your engine, and the oiling problem... what were these things supposed to do again???
Old 07-28-2007, 11:24 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM filters

I switched out to K&N and do not note any great difference. I'll be putting the OEM's back on for the increased filtration. In retrospect, I cannot immagine Porsche engineering choosing an inferior filtration system for such a high performance vehicle as designed.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 PM
JustJohn
7th Gear

I have the K&N's. Noticed nothing different. Not hard to install, good instructions on all data
Old 08-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Stone43
Racer

Thanks. It sounds like an unworthy upgrade. I will now move on to the exhaust.....

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter