Sponsored by:

One More Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 PM
TWA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One More Question...

I fogot to also ask about a K-40 install... has anyone done it? How do you like it and any comments on effectiveness would be appreciated.

I did search FAQ with what I found surprising that there were no hits... I'm certain the radar detector wars have been had many times, as they always seem to occur in car forums.

I got a quote from the local P dealer who was $700 more than a top-line installer with a good history (from what I can tell). I'm a bit concerned about the bumper removal and all of the sensors in the bumpers, plus the electronics of the C TTS. I don't want any gremlins, and if I do, I'd like someone to take responsibility for them.

I guess my follow-on question is: will $700 buy me a better install and greater peace of mind?

Thanks,
Troy
'96 CCS

P.S. Does anyone know how to edit/change your signature? I've looked around and didn't see it.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:05 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I don't know about the latest generation, but I have a k40 and it blows. If you CTT came with the insulated glass option, its really the only option you have, as your normal radar will not be as effective.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:17 PM
JustJohn
7th Gear

I have the K40 installed as my insualted glass offered no other option. I have the front and rear radar as well as the front laser difuser. It works well, especially the laser. The new Ka bands are tough for any detector, but the K40 seems to get them just in time. I have had the install going on 4 years in my 04 CTT. So far (knock on wood) no tickets and real saves on the laser from motorcycle units. As I drive by you can see them looking at their display and then looking at me. My install is built into the park distance control lighting system. Nothing shows. The left most red light is the front and the right red light is the rear. Works great and no interference with the park distance control.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:35 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

there is an opening in the tint behind and below the rear view mirror, V1 works great there.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 PM
TWA
Intermediate

UPDATE:

I had the K40 installed at a local, reputable, installation place. I couldn’t justify $700 for the Porsche dealership install. Got the works: laser diffuser/scrambler, front/rear detection, etc. Anyway, I’m very happy with the cleanliness of the installation and the effectiveness of the detector. I’ve already done one long trip (LV to Sedona) and had plenty of time to trim speed when it went off. It seems to do well in the city also, not too many false alarm K bands.

I’ve had radar detectors in the past, the window mounted ones. Never had a V1 tho. The K40 is much better than any of the ones I had in the past, at least as memory serves.

In short, I'm happy with this new gadget.

Last edited by TWA; 08-20-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: one more thing to say.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

TWA What is the total price for your setup?

Quick Reply: One More Question...