Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Navigation system- question in Pano on defect!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:55 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne Navigation system- question in Pano on defect!!!

While the following question appears to have been asked in February of 2007, it just appeared in the latest issue of Panorama. I have a few questions for those on this board:
1. I have a 2006 I bought in April 2007- does anyone know if this affects all year Cayennes? (My guess is yes)
2. Has anyone heard of any update? (my guess is no, but hopefully there is a yes?)
3. How can the company cited in Peter's answer simply walk away from this problem? How can porsche not find a fix otherwise?
4. What is the point of having a navigation system that can get you lost???

Ironically, 2 weeks ago I drove my wife to a baby shower in NY then went to meet up with some of the guys about 20 minutes away. I go to return to pick her up and the navigation system took me a town or two over in the middle of an industrial park. I thought it was a one-time quirk until reading this. I find this to be rediculous- so do I now I have to print out directions from mapquest before I go anywhere? (that last question is my question #5)

6. Is this the same system used in the 911 and other cars? If so, everyone on rennlist that has navigation should make a stink on this. If not, cayenne owners should make a stink- I'm pretty pissed

Here is the question from Panorama:

Question

I just brought my Cayenne to the dealer because the NAV system was putting me on the correct street but in the wrong town. The dealer checked it out and said "it was operating as it should". Then I came home and checked with PCA, which I should have done first, to find out that this is a common problem and a fix is in the works. Before I return to my dealer, is the fix available and what should I ask for. If it is not available when is it comming?

Thanks
SG

Answer
Right now there is still no fix for this and I don't know if Navteq is going to do anything about it. It has been a couple of years of this and still no fix. If anything comes up I will post it here.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 2/10/2007
Old 08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Inquired at the company- here is response. I'm not sure that it's the disk as the disk got us to our destination initially- it was after I tried to return from another location that I was given bad directions. I guess there are 3 things at work
1. data supplied by NAVTEQ
2. map disks
3. the NAV unit itself (and GPS)

We need a computer/systems tech person to chime in here. Here is my customer service response from NAVTEQ:

Andrew,

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. Although Porsche uses our map data we neither produce nor distribute the disks for the 2006 Cayenne. For update information please contact your nearest authorized Porsche dealer.

NAVTEQ
Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Haven't we been over this a few times before? The answer is yes.

PCNA sees no reason to spend the time and money to acquire and distribute NAVTEQ's latest information.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

But it seems to be a problem with the unit itself, becuase I was able to get to the destination initially....unless the disc didn't have the correct information coming from a different direction since I was returning back to the destination from a different location and town...
Old 08-25-2007, 12:30 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok i need to know the numbers and dates of your discs

then hit the main and trip button at the same time and give me that info too
Old 08-25-2007, 10:32 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the navigation system has a few known defects

do yourself a favor and buy a 500 buck lowrance IMAP600 or one of the company of your choice. the updates will be cheaper, and the nav information better. these companies ALL use navteq info (they are the only company currently offering it), the differences are in the implementation.

lowrance and garmin et al make their money from selling a quality product to customers, not from flim-flaming a customer who is already paying too much for a piece of VW technology into paying a ridiculous amount for something that doesn't do the job, and then hitting them for a huge cost for updates that don't work.

the nav in the FX45 (which i didn't pay extra for) works tolerably well (which is head, body shoulders and ankles above the porsche POS), but i just went on a 4k mile trip, and the lowrance spent a sizable time on the dash.

have fun

buhahhahahahahahahahahhahhah
Old 08-25-2007, 10:38 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew911
But it seems to be a problem with the unit itself, becuase I was able to get to the destination initially....unless the disc didn't have the correct information coming from a different direction since I was returning back to the destination from a different location and town...
Yeah. You navigate from one town to a location in another town, and then you say "take me back home" and you just "find yourself" in another town. Priceless! (if you don't miind my saying so)

Could happen to anybody. I am thinking that the basic problem might be a little more than just a glitchy nav.

NAVTEQ data is used by almost everyone. Contacting them and relating your story as you have told it might have at least amused NAVTEQ behind the scenes, but certainly was way off base in terms of solving the problem.

But I do agree with droptop - if you literally don't know which way is left, right, or up or down, get yourself a good Garmin unit. They are very user-friendly, especially with the touch screen, which makes things much easier. Even the most, well, "lost" among us will find satisfaction with these units, which are only 500 to 600 bucks.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

Haven't we been over this a few times before? The answer is yes.

PCNA sees no reason to spend the time and money to acquire and distribute NAVTEQ's latest information.
FWIW, I have never had any issue with the new DVD nav. It has never reset towns.. and to date, every address that I've entered and driven to from as far south as Orlando/Tampa.. to South Carolina.. to GA, MS, TN and all over Alabama.. never once has the address not been in the database.. I love my little British vixen telling me where to go!!

Now.... if you were talking about my Beta's CD NAV.... well... after doing all the PCNA letters to Peter and NavTeq etc. let's just say your only solution was to put sambuca in your purplesaurus rex.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:01 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Well, it was the only time I had a problem (although I'd argue one too many). Other than that, it was been good. MadFox- we have the same truck- marine blue tit-s
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can replicate this problem at will on my 04 CTT and ex 03 996, CD based nav. These was a thread last year about this in the Cayenne and in the 996 forum. No solution was provided, dealer said it cannot be fixed...
Old 08-27-2007, 11:06 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nav soft ware and pcm software numbers?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andrew911
Well, it was the only time I had a problem (although I'd argue one too many). Other than that, it was been good. MadFox- we have the same truck- marine blue tit-s
It is an amazing color how different it looks in full sun and then how it becomes a menacing blue/black at night.. I tinted the front two windows to match the rear.. looks nice and helps to cool a little (we've been over 100 for weeks). Hopefully no more PCM-NAV issues.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 AM
SciFrog
Racer

I will check but everything was updated to the latest available at the dealer.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'my06' nav was replaced maybe several mos. after delivery. it just failed to power up... brought it in & the dealer said they kept a few spare units b/c some gps units were simply bad. no prob. since & the unit has been great.

i'd try & get pcna to replace it under warranty... what if this was your wife in the middle of the night? or someone in an emergency situation?

also fwiw: this may be a red flag telling us to keep our old nav cd's, b/c the new ones could have a glitch... hmmm i'd like to know ware #'s too.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:24 PM
JustJohn
7th Gear

Interesting. I have had problems with my NAV as well. I live in Southern CA. I put in an address on Flower street in Burbank CA and the NAV directed me to the Flower Street address in downtown Los Angeles, obviously not Burbank and not a good part of LA!! I have tried this a number of times and the NAV always makes the same errors. When I get to Burebank the NAV recognizes the Burbank location, but if I get on the freeway outside of Burbank, the NAV directs me to the LA address even with Burbank as the City in the NAV.

Today the NAV unit went haywire. I was on the interstate 5 and the NAV indicated I was in the middle of the desert 79 miles from my desired location, directing me on roads that did not exist to go to Pacific coast Highway. All the unit showed was a big arrow going in circles with no next location and or distance noted. During this episode the NAV did not even indidcate the Interstate highway! I'm going to the dealer Tuesday for a fix. I sent Porsche a letter on the first issue, the dealer called, no fix, just a fluke. Another letter is going out today.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Navigation system- question in Pano on defect!!!