Sponsored by:

Mounted Run Flats on CTT

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Mounted Run Flats on CTT

Just bought tires for My Wife's CTT. Went with the Bridgestone Dueler HP RFT (Run Flat) model. Size 285/45/19 . Very happy with them. Cost about 1150$ . Just FYI if anyone else wants the runflat option for the peace of mind on the family cruiser.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:06 AM
henna gaijin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first bought my Touareg I thought Run-Flats would be a good idea. Of course, my lowly Touareg is not a Porsche Cayenne, but let's just agree that the AWD systems in the Touareg and the Cayenne are more than just "similar," OK?

Tire requirements for the Touareg/Cayenne are pretty specific. There is a lengthy portion in the Bentley Repair Manual for the Touareg about measuring the rolling circumfrence of all four tires to assure that they are all within 0.5" in circumfrence.

The reason for this tight circumfrence requirement is the ESP, ABS and differential positioning (stepper) motor(s) all rely on a "given" wheel/tire circumfrence to function properly.

What is the circumfrence of a Run-Flat tire when the main tire has deflated? A lot more than 0.5" less than the fully inflated tire.

If all you do is use the benefits of a Run-Flat to safely negotiate your way to the shoulder to replace your flat tire with the spare, then no harm, no foul.

The problem arises when you rely on the Run-Flat to travel longer distances, such as to the nearest service station, to have the spare tire fitted or the flat fixed. This prolonged driving with a failed tire could do severe damage to the AWD components in your vehicle. It has been suggested that turning OFF the ESP (PSM?) could alleviate some of this potential damage, it is still not a good idea.

This is why VW (and Porsche?) do not recommend any Run-Flat tires for use with the Touareg (Cayenne?).

If you have other information that supports the use of Run-Flat tires in the Touareg/Cayenne platform, I would be very interested to hear about it.

HTH
Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by henna gaijin
When I first bought my Touareg I thought Run-Flats would be a good idea. Of course, my lowly Touareg is not a Porsche Cayenne, but let's just agree that the AWD systems in the Touareg and the Cayenne are more than just "similar," OK?

Tire requirements for the Touareg/Cayenne are pretty specific. There is a lengthy portion in the Bentley Repair Manual for the Touareg about measuring the rolling circumfrence of all four tires to assure that they are all within 0.5" in circumfrence.

The reason for this tight circumfrence requirement is the ESP, ABS and differential positioning (stepper) motor(s) all rely on a "given" wheel/tire circumfrence to function properly.

What is the circumfrence of a Run-Flat tire when the main tire has deflated? A lot more than 0.5" less than the fully inflated tire.

If all you do is use the benefits of a Run-Flat to safely negotiate your way to the shoulder to replace your flat tire with the spare, then no harm, no foul.

The problem arises when you rely on the Run-Flat to travel longer distances, such as to the nearest service station, to have the spare tire fitted or the flat fixed. This prolonged driving with a failed tire could do severe damage to the AWD components in your vehicle. It has been suggested that turning OFF the ESP (PSM?) could alleviate some of this potential damage, it is still not a good idea.

This is why VW (and Porsche?) do not recommend any Run-Flat tires for use with the Touareg (Cayenne?).

If you have other information that supports the use of Run-Flat tires in the Touareg/Cayenne platform, I would be very interested to hear about it.

HTH
All legitimate concerns.
My Family is trained to use the vehicle as a tool. My wife for example prior to the RFT knows that the car is just there to save her life and the lives of others. If she had a flat before, she knows to drive on the rim, or all 4 rims if need be until she got to an area of safety/service. I race and inistruct and all the cars we have are meant to be used to their full potential if need be, whether they are street or race applications. That being said, my relationship with Porsche gives me a great deal of comfort that the adaptive nature built into the Cayenne/Tourag would more than compensate for the differences in rolling radius for quite sometime, certainly long enough for her to get to safety.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 AM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen
All legitimate concerns.
My Family is trained to use the vehicle as a tool.
+1

BTW, just out of curiosity, since I've never owned a set of run-flats, what would be the difference in rolling circumference between your run-flats (when flat) and the Cayenne temp spare.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

HTH
I just looked at the Porsche approved tire list and they have Dunlop Grandtrek WT M3's on the list in 255/55/18 on the list. According to Dunlop site, they only come in run flat.

http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/si...ctratio=55&x=1

I could be wrong and have fired off an email to Tirerack, but I am checking.

The weird thing is that they also have the Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2, but in a 235/60/18, which is not a runflat... but they don't have the M2 on the 255/55/18...
Old 10-13-2007, 12:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Of course, my lowly Touareg is not a Porsche Cayenne, but let's just agree that the AWD systems in the Touareg and the Cayenne are more than just "similar," OK?
OK, if you say so, but someone should tell Porsche that the Cayenne is 65%/85% common parts/labor with the Touareg......
Old 10-13-2007, 01:02 AM
henna gaijin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yetis
I just looked at the Porsche approved tire list and they have Dunlop Grandtrek WT M3's on the list in 255/55/18 on the list. According to Dunlop site, they only come in run flat.

http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/si...ctratio=55&x=1

I could be wrong and have fired off an email to Tirerack, but I am checking.

The weird thing is that they also have the Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2, but in a 235/60/18, which is not a runflat... but they don't have the M2 on the 255/55/18...
Are either of the Dunlop tires "N" rated?

Any chance you could post the "Porsche approved tire list" you mention?

TIA
Old 10-13-2007, 09:34 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Are either of the Dunlop tires "N" rated?

Any chance you could post the "Porsche approved tire list" you mention?

TIA

Wish I could. Some have access, I don't. You can see it for yourself on Lorens site, Renntech.org.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by sigs
+1

BTW, just out of curiosity, since I've never owned a set of run-flats, what would be the difference in rolling circumference between your run-flats (when flat) and the Cayenne temp spare.
Good ? seems like the temp spare is smaller doesnt it. I need to check that out.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:47 PM
henna gaijin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Glen
... seems like the temp spare is smaller doesnt it ...
Only until you inflate it
Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 AM
Brettcp
Track Day

I had runflats on my 04 bmw 645ci convertible and was unhappy with the ride quality - but I'd imagine they'd be better with a 45 profile

Quick Reply: Mounted Run Flats on CTT