Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tires on the Trans-Siberian Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This approach is hard-core, Jeep, fixed-beam axle, Rubicon, mud-slugging and trail torture tests. I doubt anyone is going to take a Cayenne and set it up on split rim 16's for rock crawling or mud-bogging.

If anything, the Cayenne does poorly in extreme conditions like mud and swamp or sleet and ice compared to the likes of the Mercedes or Land Rover even if they're owned and manufactured by Chrysler and Ford at the time.
No, what this approach is is trying to find an off road wheel set so that you can use it to its best ability. I really do not want to take my AL wheels into the field with tires that have little to no flex and wheels that, if scratched by a rock/whatever, cost an arm and a leg to replace. As well, I am not talking Rubicon or comparing my Cayenne to my past four Fj-40's. There is no comparison.

I am not saying everyone is going to run out and buy them. Fact is, probably most never see a service road or mud field. But that is really besides the point in my opinion. If you are going to advertise the Cayenne as a off road vehicle, then back it up with appropriate fitment.

Hard core is far from what I am asking. A steel 15" wheel with a 32x10.50 tire is far far from hard core.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:14 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
For what it's worth, a family member ordered his '06 CTTS with the advanced off-road package (detachable sways) but no cosmetic off-road equipment. Dealer had no problem with it, order went through fine, and the car is sitting in his garage.
I guess the possible explanations are that:
a) PAG changed their minds because they thought they could sell a few more vehicles;
b) three separate P dealers told me the same lie and just didn't want to check because I was already being a pain in the their butts (albeit a highly profitable one) just by wanting the PK when it was new; or
c) both.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:47 PM
RoninM5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If anything, the Cayenne does poorly in extreme conditions like mud and swamp or sleet and ice compared to the likes of the Mercedes or Land Rover even if they're owned and manufactured by Chrysler and Ford at the time.
My experience in medium mud has been fairly decent with the Cayenne S. But I did not like the low profile tires, susceptible to damage on rocks. 18 inch wheels, Pirelli Scorpions.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:53 PM
RoninM5
Advanced

Did a good amount of mud on this trip, it was caked everywhere underneath:

Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 PM
RoninM5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
18's are really not what you need for 4x4 applications but I have yet to see a good 15/16" steel wheel with the correct backspacing/fitment.
Would that diameter (15 or 16 inch) wheel clear the calipers? It looks like my 18's just clear the calipers.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RoninM5
My experience in medium mud has been fairly decent with the Cayenne S. But I did not like the low profile tires, susceptible to damage on rocks. 18 inch wheels, Pirelli Scorpions.

The kind of damage you've photographed is relatively superficial although of course, you should no longer trust that sidewall, so the tire should be replaced. The only real concern when you see some impact damage (on-road or off-road) is that there's no law that insists all the damage be on the outside or the rim -- it could be much worse on the inside, so you really have to get it checked and repaired.

Years ago, off-road drivers preferred a split steel rim -- you could repair a tire, replace a tube or even hammer out a bend with only hand tools, then bolt the wheel halves back together and be on your way. This also allowed for bead-lockers (which clamp the bead to the rim of the wheel) and meant being able to run very large profile tires at very low pressure (such as 5 or even 3 psi.)

I don't think anyone would seriously run steel wheels on a Cayenne today, the two just don't make a match. And if someone built a steel wheel that would wrap around even the smallest of Cayenne calipers, it would be a heavy wheel to say the least.

By the way, in your first photo, you've hit the mud puddle a bit quick. There's a basic technique for wading deep water by creating a smooth bow wave to displace water in front of the vehicle and direct away from going under the car (and into the engine from below.) You can improve this by temporarily strapping a plastic sheet or a section of plywood to the nose to create a bow. Of course the "Siberia" Cayenne includes a snorkel, which is great, but unless the snorkel is pressure sealed and the rest of the engine is water-proofed and the other body seals are closed, you'll still end up with water finding it's way through a grommet or an electrical fitting etc. Then there's a laundry list of minor tweaks (like a switch to disable the radiator fan, grease to prevent arcing around the spark plugs, breather vent lines so hot differentials don't suck in water as they cool down under water, splash guards, drain holes, etc.)

Improving the wading depth of the Cayenne seems like a helluva lot of work. Even on old, simple trucks, it takes a pretty concerted effort to seal up every point where water will get in and cause reliability problems.

The easier route, for less expensive vehicles is to create a "hose out" interior. Where temporary, removable carpets sit on top of vinyl mats and all the electrics are relocated to shoulder height or above the windshield depending upon your determination and expectations for making it through Borneo without setbacks. Once everything is relocated above the dash and every wire and connection is water-tight, you put boots on the clutch and brake pedal cylinders, you put splash guards on the seats and you drill and plug drain holes in the foot wells of the floor pan. Then, when it gets a bit muddy in the cabin, pull out he mats and hose out the cabin. Now, who's first to make their Cayenne a "hose out?" : )
Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 PM
RoninM5
Advanced

Thanks Carrera GT.

It's a very early photograph of my first off roading endeavors in the Cayenne S. Since then, I've used a 2006 Commander with 5.7L HEMI, and now my current off road vehicle is a 2005 Land Rover LR3.

The Porsche Cayenne endured a lot as a learning vehicle with less than ideal technique, coming from a driver with fairly extensive street experience, but little inherent off road experience or knowledge. I do take off roading more seriously and have learned a lot.

The impacted, traumatized tire, was not entirely to blame on a low profile. If I wasn't driving at a relatively high rate of speed when I impacted the unseen rock, then the damage probably would not have been as extensive. Upon noticing, I immediately detoured off the Old Mojave Road to a highway, where I replaced the tire and wheel with the inflatable spare. Then I travelled on interstates to find a replacement Pirelli Scorpion after calling to confirm tire store inventory.

Off roading has been much easier in the Jeep Commander and the LR3 for the most part in comparison with the Cayenne S. But the Cayenne S traction and drive and differential systems always did or exceeded what was expected of them.

I feel I am a much better and more conscientous off road driver, that has come a long way, but still has plenty to learn. I have joined the local Land Rover club and continue to go on excursions whenever possible.

I appreciate you taking the advice to provide helpful analysis and comment, on a slightly embarassing photo. No ill effects for the Cayenne and that mud, but I know it is never ideal to have a wave of mud cascading near the intakes and over the hood.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Good point about the steel wheel. They do make 17's and I would assume it could fit considering my stock wheels were 17's. Weight? Really not a concern if you are using it off road but I follow your logic-the two, in general, do not match up.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:03 AM
CrazyDave
2nd Gear

Anyone know where I can buy the Grandtrek MT2 235/60R18 in the USA?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 AM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best Tire?

Anyone know what the best off road tire for a Cayenne is today??

No Rubicon, just trails, crossing creeks/small rivers, etc...

Thanks
Old 09-24-2011, 02:03 AM
CrazyDave
2nd Gear

Much better question "red"... in case the MT2 are n/a. Been finding that ppl seem to like the Nitto Terra Grappler 255/R60 18...

Dave
05 CTT tit/blk
09 328ias blk/blk
05 997 C4S Cab sil/blk bye-bye
Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had 255/60-18 Pirelli ATR, which I found to be a better road tire than any truck all-season tire. It did decent off-tarmac unless there was mud, whereupon it quickly caked up. You can also get the Nitto in this size.

I prefer the Yokohama AT-S to the Pirelli, as it does better off-tarmac, while delivering great on-road performance. Both are available in the appropriate Load Index and an HR speed rating. Were I to do it again, I would go with the Yoko AT-S in a 265/60-18 (30.5"), as a few other forum members have subsequently confirmed they fit.

If you want 19" tires, the ATR and the Cooper LTZ are available in a 255\55-19. If you want 20", Cooper and Nitto make (<31" AT tires).

Quick Reply: Which tires on the Trans-Siberian Cayenne?