Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tires on the Trans-Siberian Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which tires on the Trans-Siberian Cayenne?

NO, not for my car, the closest it's seen to off-roading is avoiding some idiot
staring at an accident. I got a call from a friend who runs a tire shop and somebody in the area with a Cayenne wants to go serious off-roading and wants the tire Porsche used on those Trans-Siberian whatever off-road race.
Anybody know what they used? Probably unavailable in the U.S., just thought
I'd try to help him out, he just fixed my Cayenne left rear tire which I skillfully
managed to drive onto a dry wall screw- very deft piece of driving I must say.
Thanks for any help out there.

Bruce
The following users liked this post:
salods (01-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the picture and the website, Goodyear Wrangler offroad tires, sized at 255/55 R18. I would imagine that the tire can be sourced from a good off-road shop.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2007, 02:46 AM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by CentralCoastC4S
...with a Cayenne wants to go serious off-roading and wants the tire Porsche used on those Trans-Siberian whatever off-road race.
Anybody know what they used? Probably unavailable in the U.S., ...
Thanks for any help out there.

Bruce
...this is what they ACTUALLY used in Syberia for the race, NOT for the AutoShow photosession...

...new off-road 4x4 tyre Dunlop Grandtrek MT 2
size 235/60 R18 RF 107T

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/ourTyre...chResults/MT2/
http://www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalog/dunlop/model/859/

http://www.heise.de/autos/bilder/galerien/3770/0

OZRacing
Attached Images     

Last edited by ozr; 11-21-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help on both tires, I would imagine the Goodyears would be much easier to source but I'll give them the Dunlops as well, they might be able to get them, not cheap I'll bet....
Old 11-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Stone43
Racer

Thanks for the pictures. Always nice to see the Cayenne in a different light. I would love to see an off-roader with some nice big fat tires and wheels, just to see how it would look.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great photo of the cabin. Vintage RS door liners/handles/pulls. Nice big jumper connector. The bicycle water bottles look a bit low-tech. I presume the extra cover on the hood/bonnet has a snorkel under it.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:46 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Great photo of the cabin. Vintage RS door liners/handles/pulls. Nice big jumper connector. The bicycle water bottles look a bit low-tech. I presume the extra cover on the hood/bonnet has a snorkel under it.
...more here, thanks to contributing members...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=93659

OZRacing
Old 11-23-2007, 06:28 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Some serious rubber on those peppers!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

I run Nitto 255's on 18" wheels for my Cayenne. I use it for hunting and farm work quite a bit.

18's are really not what you need for 4x4 applications but I have yet to see a good 15/16" steel wheel with the correct backspacing/fitment.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ozr
...more here, thanks to contributing members...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=93659

OZRacing
Thanks for the link -- I follow through the 6spd stuff and found several great photos (of course, each of them just raises more questions about how Porsche AG built those cars, who they used for things like the cage design, rules compliance, testing, etc.)
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
I run Nitto 255's on 18" wheels for my Cayenne. I use it for hunting and farm work quite a bit.

18's are really not what you need for 4x4 applications but I have yet to see a good 15/16" steel wheel with the correct backspacing/fitment.
This approach is hard-core, Jeep, fixed-beam axle, Rubicon, mud-slugging and trail torture tests. I doubt anyone is going to take a Cayenne and set it up on split rim 16's for rock crawling or mud-bogging.

If anything, the Cayenne does poorly in extreme conditions like mud and swamp or sleet and ice compared to the likes of the Mercedes or Land Rover even if they're owned and manufactured by Chrysler and Ford at the time.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 AM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If anything, the Cayenne does poorly in extreme conditions like mud and swamp or sleet and ice compared to the likes of the Mercedes or Land Rover even if they're owned and manufactured by Chrysler and Ford at the time.
Is this a statement from personal experience? While I've had very limited experience with the current generation Land Rover, I have lots of experience with recent generation MBs (both MLs and G-wagons) and recent generation JGCs. When similarly equipped, my Cayenne is at least equal to the JGC and the newer, rich-suburbanite-oriented G-wagon and substantially superior to the ML in the conditions you describe. The wheel and tire selections are the greatest limitation for serious trails or serious mud, and summer Z-rated tires are a disaster on ice on any vehicle. I've had less than half a day behind the wheel of a Cayenne with the off-road package, but it easily took me places where my JGC would have struggled and where I wouldn't have even thought about trying to take my ML. Because of the larger wheels, I go slower in my Cayenne, but I still go everywhere I went with the old JGC. I agree, though, that if it's time for serious off-roading - it's CJ time. But, the older my butt gets, the more I'm considering using the Cayenne to tow it to the trailhead.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
Is this a statement from personal experience? While I've had very limited experience with the current generation Land Rover, I have lots of experience with recent generation MBs (both MLs and G-wagons) and recent generation JGCs. When similarly equipped, my Cayenne is at least equal to the JGC and the newer, rich-suburbanite-oriented G-wagon and substantially superior to the ML in the conditions you describe. The wheel and tire selections are the greatest limitation for serious trails or serious mud, and summer Z-rated tires are a disaster on ice on any vehicle. I've had less than half a day behind the wheel of a Cayenne with the off-road package, but it easily took me places where my JGC would have struggled and where I wouldn't have even thought about trying to take my ML. Because of the larger wheels, I go slower in my Cayenne, but I still go everywhere I went with the old JGC. I agree, though, that if it's time for serious off-roading - it's CJ time. But, the older my butt gets, the more I'm considering using the Cayenne to tow it to the trailhead.
I've driven a variety of Range Rovers off-road over the last decade or two and I have a Cayenne as well. I've been off-road with people in various Landcruisers and I've seen the constant passage of Jeeps of all sizes heading along the Rubicon.

The thing with the Cayenne is it's not very smart in the traction management department. Where a Rangie or an LR2 tends to calmly walk along, a tiny slip of a wheel and they adjust before anything happens, staying firmly planted on all fours. Plus, the electronics in those machines can make their suspension behave like a fixed beam axle at the same time as doing well with articulation and sending a half a wheel disappearing behind the wheel arch of the body panel to keep the car on . The Cayenne I'm sure would do better with the disengageable sway bars (it theoretically does that for itself in the newer model in some way and the off-road option no longer includes the disengageable sways. The Cayenne tends to make it and for sure the tires are a major player in the success or ease of passing a difficult section of terrain, but the Cayenne tends to make a lot more of a fuss, a lot more wheel-spin, a touchy throttle and a tendency to make things harder for itself (all in the suspension and traction management) while the LR3 makes it look easy and the Rangie does it in style.

All that said, I'd agree with the approach of towing a buggie to the given trail head using the Cayenne.

I've looked at retrofitting the disengageable sways, the parts are pretty easy to identify and would presumably fit with no surgery. There might be some missing logic -- presumably that's already sitting the ECU and could be activated with the service tool -- but I'd be happy with a simple on-off and just have to remember to engage them once I'm traveling at speed.

I've had my fun with the Cayenne on-road driving it like a sports car that happens to weigh a few tons more than a sports car. I use the '05 Excursion diesel for heavy work and the Rangie for off-road and in the snow. I plan on replacing all three with a GL450 (with off-road options) and see how that goes. If it lets me down, I'll probably go to an '07 (used) Range Rover Supercharged and get a newer pick-up for towing.

The Cayenne has the factory Powerkit, so I don't expect to replace it with anything anywhere near as insanely, amazingly quick. I'm sure I'll miss it as soon as I sell it. So it goes.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
sigs
Racer

I, too, have the Powerkit, so we are both limited by the minimum 19" wheels and the ridiculous torque. That's why I end up crawling through some areas at a much slower pace than with my other 4x4s.

I use my Cayenne as an all-rounder, as I'm limited on garage space (my track car and CJ have to live off-premises), so I probably push it more than most. I tried very hard to convince several dealers to order mine with the PK without the PK brakes and with the locking sway bars without the "off-road" cosmetics. Not only would none of them do either one, but none would put the off-road package on a CTT with the PK. Said PAG would not allow that.

If you find a reasonable way to do add the locking sway bars, please let us know, though I can only imagine the electronic error codes we'd see.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:20 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sigs
I tried very hard to convince several dealers to order mine with the PK without the PK brakes and with the locking sway bars without the "off-road" cosmetics. Not only would none of them do either one, but none would put the off-road package on a CTT with the PK. Said PAG would not allow that.
For what it's worth, a family member ordered his '06 CTTS with the advanced off-road package (detachable sways) but no cosmetic off-road equipment. Dealer had no problem with it, order went through fine, and the car is sitting in his garage.

Surprisingly enough, it goes through deep, wet sand/dirt/mud a-ok on the OEM 20" Contis provided that PSM is switched off.

Quick Reply: Which tires on the Trans-Siberian Cayenne?