Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ultimate humiliation. GTO vs CTT.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Default The ultimate humiliation. GTO vs CTT.

I thought this was funny and I would share.

I normally don't advocate this type of behavior but this guy was just asking for it.

I was driving along in traffic in my 04 CTT last night with 2 other people in the car. This new Pontiac GTO with straight pipes and stickers comes flying up the right hand lane cuts over 3 lanes and tries to cut between me, the car in front of me and the car in the middle lane. He nearly hits me and then backs off and falls in behind me. Now as I wait for the guy in front to slowly speed up and move over, the GTO is sitting inches off my bumper and then proceeds to fall back a car length and then floor it riding up on my bumper again. I look to my passenger and she just smiles. As the car in front pulls to the middle lane and opens up about a mile and a half of open road I just push it to the floor. The CTT lurches forward with the GTO doing the same. I gained about 6-8 car lengths on the GTO before he basically matched my acceleration and although I was still gaining ground it wasn't very much. I never looked to see how fast I was going but we came up on the next wave of traffic and I slowed down. He pulled up along side me in the right lane and we just looked at him and laughed. He was so angry he cut around the traffic on the right and proceeded to fly around everyone at stupid speed to get ahead.

I am sure his manhood shrunk to nothing, loosing out to an SUV. I am sure he will never tell this to anyone.

I know the street is no place for this but at least it was an open road and boy was it hilarious at the moment.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

Sounds like you got his mullet ruffled up a bit...
Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not worth the speeding ticket IMHO (CTT has nothing to prove VS. GTO)! Happens everyday to all of us. Feels good to dust these doofuses though.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ljugete
It's not worth the speeding ticket IMHO (CTT has nothing to prove VS. GTO)! Happens everyday to all of us. Feels good to dust these doofuses though.
At 400 + hp I figured the GTO would be faster than it was. I wasn't concerned about he ticket. I have driven this road everyday for over 25 years and there are never any cops. I still don't condone it but it was funny to see how humiliated he was after driving so recklessly. I only did it because there were no cars for the entire distance of road we played on. I have driven the autobahn at speeds of over 155mph sustained for periods up to 7 hours so I am no stranger to speed.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:33 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I did that to a Dodge midsize Pickup SRT in my BMW 4.8iS and his passenger said loud enough for me to hear "Dood you got smoked by an SUV!!" it is hilarious.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Stone43
Racer

I think I might be able to overtake a VW Bug, if they are kind enough to give me a 2 second headstart in order to compensate for my "PorscheCayenneSlag"
Old 04-17-2008, 07:00 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

What kind of numbers do they claim the GTO can run? It cracks me up that they even want to challenge an SUV - would that really be considered a kill. I guess they just want to race a Porsche...almost forgot it isn't a real Porsche, guess someone should tell them.

Don't get me wrong I am always willing to oblige a request to have your doors slammed in by an SUV especially when they ask for it...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM
RUthless
Advanced

Default Seriously guys

The 06' GTO runs at least 4.5 0-60 in every single test I've ever read - 4.4's in some tests. It has the exact same 400-hp engine as the Corvette. I love Porsche like the rest of us but no 04 TT is dusting a GTO.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 PM
moronputz
Advanced

Not sure if we're talking the same car here, but if the GTO you are referring to is the Pontiac version of the Holden Monaro, a CTT will better it with relative ease.

No idea where the 4.5sec 0-60 comes from but there is no way that car will get below 5sec. From memory (yes always a questionable act) the Monaro will struggle to get below 5.5sec for 0-100kmh. Given that the CTT is claimed as 5.1 for the same sprint it should be able to beat the Monaro (just) at a drag strip.

The killer with the Monaro, though, is the gearing (rather tall) and this hurts the acceleration - especially mid-range where the CTT is strongest.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

This is the car as mentioned

http://www.modernracer.com/pontiacgtols2.html

This guy had done some mods. Lowered, wheels and open exhaust could have been other work but can't tell you.

The CTT pulled from it with ease. The CTT is actually rather fast once moving. It pulls from a 997 C2S but doesn't gain as much distance, again this is moving, off the line the C2S will have the edge. They claim a 13.5 1/4 at 106mph for the GTO which I have easily seen on my Gtech with the CTT. My GTS and 964 C2 both run about the same numbers. I know my 94 turbo would spit these things out like it wasn't even trying.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:10 AM
RUthless
Advanced

The Holden monaro was used for its body design & some other parts...the engine is from gm's Chevrolet Corvette - 0-60 4.4 seconds (Road & Track 06')
Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 AM
RUthless
Advanced

The 2008 TT Cayenne with 500 HP was tested at 4.9 0-60 in a couple mags and 4.9 on the Porsche website - So the 2004 TT is surely slower than that.

All I'm saying is unless your cayenne has like 600 hp it would not beat the C6 Corvette's LS2 V8 - period. Maybe your simply a better skilled or more daring driver...
Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
JRCTT
Instructor

So the 2006 Vette (4.2 seconds) is only 2/10 of a second qicker than 2006 GTO?? No way do I buy it - 4.4 seconds in that POS. Last few reviews I found on the net could not even get it to break into the 13s on 1/4
Old 04-18-2008, 10:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RUthless
The 2008 TT Cayenne with 500 HP was tested at 4.9 0-60 in a couple mags and 4.9 on the Porsche website - So the 2004 TT is surely slower than that.

All I'm saying is unless your cayenne has like 600 hp it would not beat the C6 Corvette's LS2 V8 - period. Maybe your simply a better skilled or more daring driver...
Off the line it might have a slight edge once moving there is no doubt the CTT is faster. I proved it with ease, this guy was accelerating up my butt before i had a chance to get on it and I pulled from him like he was standing still and then he finally was able to come close to my acceleration but I had already gained ample ground. I also have seen my 04CTT record 4.8 second 0-60 on my Gtech but that was with PSM off and in sport mode. With PSM on and standard mode it was closer to 5.0 seconds. It also recorded a 13.4 second 1/4 at 109mph, which shows it is carrying more speed through the 1/4 making it faster. You have the advantage of AWD and gobs of torque. My GTS at 3500 pounds and 350 hp does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and a 1/4 in 13.5 seconds at 104mph. It would be faster if you could power shift the manual box but you loose a lot of time shifting. I know my CT is slightly faster than the GTS. I also wouldn't believe everything you read in magazines. They play games with numbers, conditions and who they favor or is sponsoring what. I have seen these Pontiac Firehawks and GTO's go at it and I can assure you neither car is as fast as they would like to claim. The Firehawk seems to be faster and my 94 turbo could eat it for lunch.

I am an experienced driver of over 25 years of Porsche ownership but skill had nothing to do with this. You just mash the pedal and it was a straight open road.

Originally Posted by JRCTT
So the 2006 Vette (4.2 seconds) is only 2/10 of a second qicker than 2006 GTO?? No way do I buy it - 4.4 seconds in that POS. Last few reviews I found on the net could not even get it to break into the 13s on 1/4
Don't get me wrong for the money the GTO is not a bad carfor the $$. Could use some styling improvements, Although I agree a heavier sedan is not going to match the vette nor would Chevrolet allow it to. That would be like Porsche making the Caymen faster than the 911. Why do you think they have discontinued this car?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
At 400 + hp I figured the GTO would be faster than it was.
I guess it depends on which year the car was- the 04 had I think 350hp, and then the 05-06 had 400

Here is a quote on the 6.0 V8: "Car and Driver magazine tested the car at a wheel-spinning 4.8 sec. 0-60 and 13.3 sec. @ 107 mph (172 km/h) for the quarter mile"

If they beat the crap out of it and time it perfectly and get 4.8, it's possible the average driver just mashing it would be in the low 5's (slower than the CTT). If it was the 2004 5.7litre, it would be even slower.

By the way Cobalt will appreciate this irrevelant side comment: today I washed/waxed the 964, put the top down and wound it through the first 3 gears once the oil was good and warm- G pipe, top down, and flat six coming on the cam- it was great- way better than winding out a GTO I'd bet

Quick Reply: The ultimate humiliation. GTO vs CTT.