Sponsored by:

cayenne brakes which pads to use

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Greg Lavallee
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cayenne brakes which pads to use

My first post Im a new user. Hello everyone.

Im tring to see what pads to use and getting conflicting info from parts suppliers. Brakes 4 less says they will use centrix pads 2 yr 24,000 mile warranty for 100 dollars total includes turn rotors. I priced out Porsche pads and just the pads are 400 before installation. I just purchased this vehicle 2 weeks ago and not sure which way 2 go and why the prices are so different. I can repair myself or have someone do it. Im looking for something that is O.E.M. grade and a great price if someone install them locally. I appreciate all of your help. Thank You very much. Greg

2005 Porsche Cayenne (base model) 52,300 miles
Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Hawk HPS leave little/no dust, stop well but are a little noisey and rough on the rotors.
The OE pads are more quiet, softer but leave horrendous dust.

Some here like the Hawk Ceramics.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sunset Imports almost always has the best prices for OEM parts.
Have you gotten a price from them yet?

http://sunset.porschedealer.com/parts/parts_order.php
Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 on Sunset, it is a do it yourself job and I would suggest to go with OEM parts. Even with shipping it is a good deal from sunset. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

May I suggest you get familiar with the 'Search' function here on Rennlist?

There is a tremendous amount of technical information pertaining to the P!g.

For instance, here is a DIY brake job change done by your esteemed forum Moderator, Mudman2.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...tructions.html

There are similar threads regarding brake pads, oil changes and general grief counseling....but fear not, you can always send a PM to Porsche52 and/or 99Firehawk, our 2 resident Porsche experts.

Also, it is sort of a forum tradition for new users to post a picture of their new vehicle.

Welcome to the P!g Pen.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Lavallee
My first post Im a new user. Hello everyone.

Im tring to see what pads to use and getting conflicting info from parts suppliers. Brakes 4 less says they will use centrix pads 2 yr 24,000 mile warranty for 100 dollars total includes turn rotors. I priced out Porsche pads and just the pads are 400 before installation. I just purchased this vehicle 2 weeks ago and not sure which way 2 go and why the prices are so different. I can repair myself or have someone do it. Im looking for something that is O.E.M. grade and a great price if someone install them locally. I appreciate all of your help. Thank You very much. Greg

2005 Porsche Cayenne (base model) 52,300 miles
No way in hell I would allow a place like Brakes 4 Less/Midas touch my brakes. This isn't a Buick, don't treat it like one.

Edit: That came off a little coarse, sorry 'bout that. Stick with the OEM pads (maybe the Hawks, I don't know) unless you want to deal with brake squeal. Porsche's are notorious for brake squeal w/ non-OEM pads. I'd bet $$ the Brakes-4-less pads would squeal. Of course, some might say that would be appropriate for a pig......

Last edited by Slow Guy; 11-06-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 788 Posts

I used OEM pads when I did mine. I'll do that again next time.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I used the Hawk Ceramics low dust versions... with the supplied grease for the back of the pads I have not experienced any of the brake squeal that I had with my old OEM pads. Highly recommended.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 PM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reborn996
I used the Hawk Ceramics low dust versions... with the supplied grease for the back of the pads I have not experienced any of the brake squeal that I had with my old OEM pads. Highly recommended.
In reading the Hawk website and comparing the HPS and Ceramic pads, it sure looks like the ceramics are the way to go. How is the performance of the pads compared to OEM? Low dust and low noise are great, but how about the stopping power?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have not driven it hard but the stopping power seems similar to stock. I did change the rotors as well to the Zimmerman crossdrilled cadmium plated ones so a little hard to say which changed what. I have been happy with the results though.

David
Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 AM
fredjchavez
Track Day

My experiences are that the hawks require more pressure overall and slightly more when cold. This is a compliment as I do not like touchy brakes over-assisted brakes (a hard stop or panic stop should require pretty serious pedal pressure IMHO). I have not found the hawks producing more noise other than a slight moan when they are close to 0 mph and stone cold (backing out of garage for example). Add to that low dust (hawks are almost no dust compared to factory dusting in a couple of days) and you have a real winner.

My next rotors will be slotted...We shall see how rotor hungry the Hawk pads are. I do not trust drilled rotors...I've seen to many examples of stress cracks although I really really like the way they look.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fredjchavez
My experiences are that the hawks require more pressure overall and slightly more when cold. This is a compliment as I do not like touchy brakes over-assisted brakes (a hard stop or panic stop should require pretty serious pedal pressure IMHO). I have not found the hawks producing more noise other than a slight moan when they are close to 0 mph and stone cold (backing out of garage for example). Add to that low dust (hawks are almost no dust compared to factory dusting in a couple of days) and you have a real winner.
Good info. Thanks. Unfortunately, the 2010 Transsyberia has different part numbers for the pads; and Hawk does not yet have anything to cross reference for their pads. Hopefully, they will soon. I'm definitely sick of the OE dust.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DUTCH Vanatlanta
I'm definitely sick of the OE dust.
Try Rejex
Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Try Rejex
Will do. Anything to eliminate the mess. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rejex reduces cleaning time for sure, but the Hawk HPS pads elliminate it, best thing i ever did, I also got the Zimmermans drilled rotors and am at 25K on them without incident, love NO DUST !!

I do not notice any change in performance

Quick Reply: cayenne brakes which pads to use