Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[I]another[/I]"Don't even think about paying the Dealer to do it" DIY Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [I]another[/I]"Don't even think about paying the Dealer to do it" DIY Project

Halogen Headlight Bulb Replacement

So the first time I had a halogen headlight go out, I just had the dealer replace it because it was under warranty.

But this time around, I dug out the manual and found the "replace headlight bulb" section. And I found that this maintenance procedure is amazingly quick and easy.
Basically like this:

1) open access door to headlight release.

2) use small silver socket wrench from tool kit to insert THRU the access port and unlock the headlight assembly.

Here's the only LITTLE snag.

In the manual it shows a clockwise motion to RELEASE the lock. Well, it IS a clockwise motion to release... on the DRIVERS side. On the Passenger side it's a COUNTERCLOCKWISE motion to release it.

3) After unlocking assemblies, slide entire assembly forward and out of the body.

4) On the back of the assembly, pop off 2 wire clips

5) pull the plug to the H7 bulb (top bulb)

6) release wire spring securing H7 bulb

7) replace H7 bulb taking care not to touch glass sleeve. H7 bulb can only go in one way, it's keyed.

8) replace the H7 wire spring

9) plug in wiring harness to H7 bulb.

10) replace rear access cover and secure with the 2 wire springs.

11) slide assemblies back into body taking care to note where the guides and channels are to align the assemblies.

12) use socket wrench again to lock the assemblies in place. With one hand, firmly press the headlight assembly into the body, holding it there and then turn the wrench CLOCKWISE on the passenger side and COUNTERCLOCKWISE on the drivers side to lock.

13) Tug on the assemblies to make sure they're not loose and won't fall out on the road.

all done. It's nothing tough but I admit I'd been putting it off for a while because I thought it'd be harder than it was and there was no way I'd pay the dealer to do it.

Time consumed:

First time around 45min for me.

After that I believe, 15 minutes.

Btw, I went with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's...
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Replace in pairs too! I had the parking lights go out.............replaced those in a pair However to this day one is visibly dimmer than the other. Charlie, I believe you and I are one of the few Cayenne base owners.........please PM me for any questions and likewise. My rear lights are out too for the additional fog lights in rear. I am going to tackle that soon. Have you done that yet?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Replace in pairs too! I had the parking lights go out.............replaced those in a pair However to this day one is visibly dimmer than the other. Charlie, I believe you and I are one of the few Cayenne base owners.........please PM me for any questions and likewise. My rear lights are out too for the additional fog lights in rear. I am going to tackle that soon. Have you done that yet?
Rear tail lights are much harder to get out because they clip on tight. Its two screws (lift the tailgate and you'll see them). Be very careful when your wiggling/tugging hard to get them out so that you don't loose grip and scratch the paint when they finally release. Putting them back on is a snap though...
Old 01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing....John
Old 01-27-2010, 04:46 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I am replacing my lights on average every 6 months....my dipped beam sign came on Sunday.......I literally am on my 5th set since buying the car in 06.......I pulled over at Autozone, walked in bought one light for the first time.......with purchase and tear down then replace, about 8 minutes. Much easier than the cardan shaft replacement .
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

You should check the connectors on the headlight. You may not be fixing the problem with bulb replacement. However, removing the headlamp assembly may remedy the weak connection between the mating connectors.

BTW, is it more prone when the ambient temp is cold?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I definitely pull it out the entire unit at least twice and then try to improve the connection at first.......then I take the bulb out for visual inspection......it had burnt out when I inspected the bulb. It seems to occur during either after one really hot day or after a really intense cold snap. I have even gone back and pulled every bulb just to put bulb grease on to insure easy removal in the future and hopefully a good connection........the initial pulling of the factory bulbs was a doozy! The driver front parking bulb*(bluish in color) has always been dimmer than the passenger bulb too. I cannot figure that one out............I will reiterate what CharlieXS has stated before......no reason to see the stealer for something that should be simple plug and play.........I have spent thousands of dollars to fix things intially I should have been doing myself.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Your symptoms sound a lot like an intermittent connection under load. Especially the dim bulb. I *think* there is a fix for the marginal receiver connector available through the dealer. It is a new connector or pigtail that connects between the factory plug and headlamp assy.

Call Roger in parts at Boardwalk (214-576-1932) and see if he can help.

Quick Reply: [I]another[/I]"Don't even think about paying the Dealer to do it" DIY Project