Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 2.1 MY06 Questions on availible options, such as trip, offroad, compass, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default PCM 2.1 MY06 Questions on availible options, such as trip, offroad, compass, etc.

So did all factory PCM units come with the navigation module in it? I don't mean the DVD drive, just the guts in the PCM itself.

Now is the trip, compass, offroad, mp3 features require hardware or software that requires coding. Or both.

I get mixed answers from the board and I assume this is because PCM 2.0 was different.

Does factory XM require coding, or will it just plug and play.

I am getting this info from here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...troniclogbook/
Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 AM
touareg
Drifting

So my local parts guy said, for 2005 and later cayennes at least, the offroad package is $325 and is a coding option for porsche, same with the compass $110 which I believe I saw around here somewhere. So no extra hardware.

Of course PIWIS labor time is extra too.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:03 AM
bbcoach51
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
So did all factory PCM units come with the navigation module in it? I don't mean the DVD drive, just the guts in the PCM itself.

Now is the trip, compass, offroad, mp3 features require hardware or software that requires coding. Or both.

I get mixed answers from the board and I assume this is because PCM 2.0 was different.

Does factory XM require coding, or will it just plug and play.

I am getting this info from here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...troniclogbook/
I have been trying to figure out the main differences between PCM 2.0 (03/04) and 2.1 (05/06) and the features of both. I know the 2.1 uses the DVD Drive which holds all the data on one disk. Other differences? Does the PCM 2.1 have to have a navigation module in the PCM or does the DVD Drive take the place of the module or do you need both? Other advantages of the 2.1? MP3, Larger screen? Easier to hook up rear camera?

2nd question: I know somewhere on here or renntech I read a post of someone who upgraded his 2.0 PCM with a 2.1 and DVD Drive, but can't find it. He told the exact parts needed. I can't figure out the cables to the DVD drive. Loren sent a link and I've called the dealer, but can't figure the exact cables. There are three connections on the DVD, Optical Wave, Antenna connection and another plug. Does the antenna reroute from the PCM or is it a separate cable? Help on any of this greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 AM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by bbcoach51
I have been trying to figure out the main differences between PCM 2.0 (03/04) and 2.1 (05/06) and the features of both. I know the 2.1 uses the DVD Drive which holds all the data on one disk. Other differences? Does the PCM 2.1 have to have a navigation module in the PCM or does the DVD Drive take the place of the module or do you need both? Other advantages of the 2.1? MP3, Larger screen? Easier to hook up rear camera?

2nd question: I know somewhere on here or renntech I read a post of someone who upgraded his 2.0 PCM with a 2.1 and DVD Drive, but can't find it. He told the exact parts needed. I can't figure out the cables to the DVD drive. Loren sent a link and I've called the dealer, but can't figure the exact cables. There are three connections on the DVD, Optical Wave, Antenna connection and another plug. Does the antenna reroute from the PCM or is it a separate cable? Help on any of this greatly appreciated.
Well I answered some of my questions when I swapped from 2.1 to a newer 2.1 that has MP3 capability and the Phone buttons. (2005 to 2006 2.1). All the units. 2.0 and 2.1, have a 3 cartridge slots in the back. One of them was used for the navigation electronics on the 2.0. The other two? I don't know, phone module or something else? TV Tuner I think is one other module. On the 2.1 system in my car, none of them were used and I have XM factory installed on my 2005. I looked at the files on the disc and it was just plain text coding information.

I know the above doesn't answer your questions, but it should tell you that you don't need the navigation module, I am pretty sure it is in the DVD drive as I had to do a "navigation" update by sticking a CD in the dvd drive under the seat, when I went to the 8.2009 maps.

From my recollection there is just a MOST cable and a power cable coming off the back of the Navigation DVD.

As for the XM if anyone cares, it works with out the coding, I get the ! Triangle in the list. The only wonky thing I notice is if I go from CD to XM, back to CD, power off the car it remembers I was on CD, but when I hit the tuner button it goes to AM, so I have to cycle back, AM, FM, XM hitting the tuner button. If I leave it on XM it is fine through power cycles. Normally I can go CD, Tuner (XM), CD, then Tuner (XM) and it remembers the last tuner position. I assume during some warm power on it the stored memory show XM as the last tuner position, but the bus init says hey, there is no XM and drops to AM. Normally I can go CD, Tuner (XM), CD, then Tuner (XM) and it remembers the last tuner position. Works fine if I leave it on FM and go back and forth.

Also, all the old steering wheel buttons work, I don't have the phone buttons on the wheel.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 PM
bbcoach51
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that information. I did find some of the information on the Planet-9 Cayman Forum. I just need to relate the information to the Cayenne.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...il-prices.html

Quick Reply: PCM 2.1 MY06 Questions on availible options, such as trip, offroad, compass, etc.